• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    I recently purchased a RIA tactical 1911 and finally had a chance to get a little range time today. No FTF FTL or FTE. My only complaint was the sights they ship the pistol with. My grouping was good but seemed to impact about 6" low and about 2-3" to the left. I'm assuming the 6" drop is normal since alot of auto pistols shoot to 6 o'clock but is there any way to fix this?

The slide appears to be novak cut but I've read they are not cut to spec (ie too deep and angles are off). Has anyone had any experience with modifying the RIA line by changing the sights on one?

IUalum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Congrats on the new RIA tactical, I jusr got one and love it so far. Mine has functioned flawlessly also.

Check out this forum, there are tons of tactical owners there and several schematics that are in pdf form giving the measurements and specs on replacing the sights.

The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site - Armscor/Rock Island

I had an eye injury a few years ago and need dots on sights. I used some white paint and a toothpick and put dots on the front and rear sights and it works for me. I had to change the dot on the front sight after shooting, putting the dot lower so as to raise the muzzle slightly to get the gun shooting to point of aim.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I'm not saying your a bad shot or nothing but have a friend shot it before you do anything with it. I'm dead on with my 4 hand guns but with my buddy's Glock 22, You'd swear I've never shot a gun in my life.

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    No offense taken kind sir :)

I know it's a new pistol to me so it's probably nothing more than getting used to it but it's just one of those things. I did email novak asking if they offered any idea if the RIA really was cut for their sights. Needless to say they had no idea.

I'm going to put some more rounds through it and see if it's just a matter of getting used to it.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I had one did pretty close to what you are describing. Turned out to be the barrel.
    Oh and BTW I got heavily mocked for using "smexy" :rolleyes:

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    Ok so I'll have to stop using that word, my flame suit is out for cleaning :)

now you say the barrel was bad? What did you do to have it corrected? Machine work or drop in a new barrel?

And on a lighter note...hooray for 50 posts! :) :)

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I relpaced the barrel with a drop in. Problem was I fooled with the sights first and the gun still shot bad so after replacing the barrel I had to put new sights on it.
    That is why I suggested letting RIA fix it and save some money

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    Which barrel did you go with? I can't tell the difference between all the barrel manufacturers out there. I don't know who turns out good product and who has subpar products

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Are these ramped barrels?

I'm intrested in buying one but there's not much difference in the price compared to a M-spec Springfield. I know the resale on the springer is fair amount more.

Super38

Top Bottom