• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 91silvia

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I just recently purchased a Rock Island 1911 "Tactical" model from Plainfield Shooting Supplies. Not dogging them at all, because they were extremely helpful and informative into what I was getting and well priced at that. I immediately went home and thoroughly cleaned and inspected it and then found that the grip safety isn't functioning at all. I can have my hand completely off the grip and the hammer will still drop if the trigger is pulled.

Here's my question: Should I send it back to RIA, or could this possibly be an easy fix with the spring underneath the grip safety? If it is possibly the spring causing this, what is the easiest way to get to the spring?

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    I would take that thing back to Plainfield and (get a Kimber) ask Bob to take a look at it for you. Something may have come loose or it may be defective but a non-functioning safety will be addressed quickly by RIA I would hope.

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Prepare for itemized list of options/questions:
    1. Like most 1911 owners, have you reassembled the gun correctly, per instructions (you can find those online)?
    2. Have you horsed with the gun at all, new parts? Many companies won't do anything for you if you sawed or filed on anything.
    3. Take it back to Plainfield! Bob is very good at these sorts of things and will help you out, provided one has not damaged the firearm via "mods".

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Yep, why get a Kimber when you can get a Springfield anyway? However, the RIA is a solid 1911 and it's acutally the first time I've ever heard of anything going wrong with one. As alrady stated, take it back to Bob and let him take a look at it.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Make sure you have enough tension on the sear spring leg that powers the grip safety. (the right leg) Assemble the gun without the thumb safety and look inside through the hole. (stick a punch through the thumb safety pin hole to hold the grip safety on) You should be able to see the arm of the grip safety that rotates down to block the trigger bow. It is either not long enough to reach the trigger bow or it's not rotating far enough to get behind it. You can sometimes modify the grip safety a little and make it work or you can drop the cash for a new one and have it fitted correctly. Or send it back to its maker.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I carry a Kimber and I will attest it's A+ quality!

Although about the topic - I'd surely take it back to Bob at PSS and see if he'd replace it at the very least have a smith check it out if you haven't jacked with it.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I would take that thing back to Plainfield and (get a Kimber) ask Bob to take a look at it for you. Something may have come loose or it may be defective but a non-functioning safety will be addressed quickly by RIA I would hope.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HCdRk0o5yk]YouTube - Family Guy - Smoke![/ame]

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Ask PSS to send it back to RIA for you. I did that with an RIA I had issues with and it was very painless. Get some sort of receipt for the gun when you drop it off to prove, you know, you dropped it off in case anything happens.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Id check the sear spring first. A new spring will cost less than the shipping back to RIA and I would highly suspect that is the problem.

Top Bottom