• ...and so much more!
  • MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    :popcorn:.....memories of the ones I've sold and am hunting for to buy again (at significantly higher prices...)....:popcorn:

Dagnabbit ..... isn't that always the case ! :):

I'm always keeping my eye open for a Model 19, 2 1/2" barrel, nickel plated. That's the one that I let get away .... that hurt me the most ! :(

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I'm a BIG fan of the M27. You must post a pic of this bad boy. I had a chance to buy one a couple years ago at a very fair price, but let it go at the time because I'm more of a K-Frame fan, and that was a LOT of gun in the hand. I think about that missed opportunity often, what a beautiful beast it was!

Oh man...

In the long ago days of my youth, graduation from the police academy was imminent and I was seeking my "off-duty" gun. Naturally this was when the wheelgun ruled and self-loaders were forbidden.

I coveted the Model 27 with 3.5 inch barrel. There has simply been no sixgun since that says gunfighter the way that one does. One was available, and at 1970's prices.

My old man talked me out of it. I was a slender youth and he pointed out that concealment would be a constant source of torment. He was right. I would have looked like I had a tumor. I'd have had to put wheels on it and pull it behind me on a string like a toy.

I opted for a Model 19 snubnose. I wanted the Model 66 but in those days they were made exclusively for the Secret Service and were unobtainable. Mind you, I love that 19 and it saw me through many a hairy caper, but my dad was right that it was the right choice at the time.

But I still wish I had that 27.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Oh man...

In the long ago days of my youth, graduation from the police academy was imminent and I was seeking my "off-duty" gun. Naturally this was when the wheelgun ruled and self-loaders were forbidden.

I coveted the Model 27 with 3.5 inch barrel. There has simply been no sixgun since that says gunfighter the way that one does. One was available, and at 1970's prices.

My old man talked me out of it. I was a slender youth and he pointed out that concealment would be a constant source of torment. He was right. I would have looked like I had a tumor. I'd have had to put wheels on it and pull it behind me on a string like a toy.

I opted for a Model 19 snubnose. I wanted the Model 66 but in those days they were made exclusively for the Secret Service and were unobtainable. Mind you, I love that 19 and it saw me through many a hairy caper, but my dad was right that it was the right choice at the time.

But I still wish I had that 27.

That's a great story, though. Thanks for telling it ! :)

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    WOW. That would have been a sweet one. I see the 4" examples around, but those 3-1/2" models are few and far between... owners are not parting with them often. But yeah, that would have been a LOT of gun for a slender fella to try to carry.

Last edited:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    One of my most cherished possessions is a model 27 that I've owned since 1995 (2nd owner, bought it from a friend).
    An N frame really​ soaks up a 357 !
    Virtually nothing beats a 6” Model 27 for shootability. I got mine, a 27-5, from Denny Reichard after he worked his magic on it. I will never, ever let it go.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What is the general consensus of blued vs stainless?

The more I look, the more I’m leaning towards a blued option. Something about blued & wood just looks right. Today’s exploring (and pricing) has left me thinking about the GP100 3” Wiley Clapp in the matte blued (middle ground on pricing), a GP100 6” blued (cheapest option) and a 6” 586 (most expensive new, still looking into used options).

I did rent a Taurus 66 today (not on my list, but it was the largest 357 they had to rent). Enjoyed it thoroughly with 38 Specials, less so with Magnums. The steel backstrap kicks back into the webbing rather sharply. But overall I enjoyed shooting it and I’m on the right path.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Blued for looks, stainless for durability. Holsters, and even your finger, will eventually wear off the bluing of any gun. Wearing off a microscopic amount of stainless just reveals more stainless, doesn't increase exposure to rust, etc.

Nickel is your third option. I don't think any current production guns are nickel, but it used to be a popular option. Depending on how the nickel is applied, it can be almost as durable as stainless. It'll not stand up to scratches as well as stainless, mind you, and if the surface gets broken oil can infiltrate under it and cause it to flake. Not all nickel finishes are equal.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I made good use of my day off and hit up Pinnacle Firearms, Tim’s Shooting Academy, Marksmen, Hoosier Armory & Avenue Arms. I got to hold pretty much everything that would fit the bill. GP100s, 686s, 586s, 19s, 66s and I’ve probablt forgotten some. The Smiths were both pre and post lock. Lots and lots of great choices, but none of them screamed take me home. On the way to Ohio, we stopped at Avenue Arms in Richmond, it’s a great shop and the guys are awesome. Of all things, they have a 3” Wiley Clapp GP100. I don’t know what is different about this grip, but it fits like a glove. I would have tried to make a case for it go home, but the $880 price tag made that a nonstarter. I love to buy from these kinds of shops, but when prices are $200 over, before taxes, what I can get it online for it’s harder to justify the purchase.

For the time being, I believe o have found the best option for me.

For anyone that collects Smiths, go check out Pinnacle in Carmel. They have an awesome collection of classic Smiths. If I could justify it, there was a Connecticut Poloce 6” 586 commerative revolver.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I made good use of my day off and hit up Pinnacle Firearms, Tim’s Shooting Academy, Marksmen, Hoosier Armory & Avenue Arms. I got to hold pretty much everything that would fit the bill. GP100s, 686s, 586s, 19s, 66s and I’ve probablt forgotten some. The Smiths were both pre and post lock. Lots and lots of great choices, but none of them screamed take me home. On the way to Ohio, we stopped at Avenue Arms in Richmond, it’s a great shop and the guys are awesome. Of all things, they have a 3” Wiley Clapp GP100. I don’t know what is different about this grip, but it fits like a glove. I would have tried to make a case for it go home, but the $880 price tag made that a nonstarter. I love to buy from these kinds of shops, but when prices are $200 over, before taxes, what I can get it online for it’s harder to justify the purchase.

For the time being, I believe o have found the best option for me.

For anyone that collects Smiths, go check out Pinnacle in Carmel. They have an awesome collection of classic Smiths. If I could justify it, there was a Connecticut Poloce 6” 586 commerative revolver.

1. I would have loved to been on that road trip!
    2. I even have bought guns from 3 of those shops.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It was an enjoyable day. I try to make it a trip to visit as many local shops as I can when we are out and about. I like the variety.

I did forget to ad Targets soorts or Target Shooting (don’t recall which) up in Sheridan. They had two 9mm Tavors. Priced at $1650 before the 10% off sale.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Disclaimer: I'm pretty much a revolver newbie, especially when compared to others who've commented. I don't carry revolvers very often as I prefer semiauto pistols, but I enjoy shooting them at the range.

I own 4 revolvers a 4" GP100 (traded a XD9sc for it), a 4" 686-4 and a 4" Model 29-10 (traded a high-end AR w/optic for both), and a Ruger Alaskan in 44 magnum. The Alaskan and 686 are stainless, and the GP100 and M29 are blued.

General observations from a self-identified semiauto heathen....

Stainless vs blued? Get stainless. I like the look of blued over stainless, but blueing wears more quickly and my primary reason for owning revolvers is more aesthetic than functional. Both my GP100 and M29 show slight wear at the muzzle from holstering; the 686 and Alaskan do not. At any rate, it's completely subjective.

Hillary hole vs not? Not. Since my revolver desires lean more towards Form over Function, I have no interest in a revolver with a hole in the side plate. If you decide that revolvers aren't for you, a hole in the side will eliminate a large portion of prospective buyers (me being one of them). My 29-10 has "the hole," and it bums me out everytime I see it.... from a rational standpoint that's silly but, yet, there it is.

Barrel length. 4" is my sweet spot; when I do carry a revolver I can sort of conceal a 4" but I doubt that I could conceal anything bigger. I can also say that same load of 44 magnums are much easier to shoot through my S&W M29 than my 2.5" Ruger Alaskan. But there's also something to be said for the giant fireball that a hot 44 mag produces from a 2.5" barrel... in any case I have 44 specials loaded when I carry either of them for ease of follow up shots, but the M29 is still easier to control. That also translates over to 38spl vs 357mag for my examples of a GP100 vs my 686 where I prefer the 686 for no logical reason.

Triggers. As a semiauto guy I don't "like" any of them; they all have a long and relatively heavy pull (even with lighter springs), and the reset length is ridiculous when compared to any modern semiauto. They are, however, very smooth. I accept the triggers for what they are and I do enjoy shooting them.

As a self-proclaimed S.H. (Semiauto Heathen) I may have given you the impression that I dislike revolvers; that would be a failure of communication on my part. I really enjoy shooting them (at the range) and they're just beautiful to look at (except the M29-10 from the left side :)). The historical/tradition aspect of a revolver also appeals to me. I won't ever sell any of my revolvers and I'll eventually have a S&W 640 Pro or Ruger LCR for pocket carry when I'm too lazy to put on a holster to go to the corner store.

I look at revolvers like I look at cars... a 68 Camaro SS is undeniably cool, but a Mercedes AMG is objectively better by every measure. Fortunately guns aren't as expensive as cars so it's relatively easy to EDC a BMW M5 and cruise the Blvd on a Saturday night with a revolver.

YMMV, and I'm sure it does. :popcorn:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Welll things have changed again. A couple of sales have opened some extra funds and some serious thinking (and talking) has changed directions about.

I’ve officially sold my last 9mm and last striker fired semi auto. I don’t see myself replacing either of them anytime soon. I enjoyed the PPQs for a little over a year, but they’ve been shot less and less and I realized the other day that I haven’t shot either of them since January. I haven’t been enjoying them for awhile now. 9mm is neither as cheap or enjoyable to shoot as the 22s I shoot the most or as fun as the 357Mag & 10mm in my other semi-autos. I stopped and started questioning what I really wanted and the conclusion is that I will never train often enough with a semi-auto/9mm to be any where near proficient with it. I carry very seldom. I don’t think I’ve carried since last July and that was with the P938 I had. This realization brought me to the conclusion that even considering sacrifincg enjoyment for concealment ability is not the right choice, at least for now.

Where does that leave the revolver hunt? Well I have funds earlier than I anticipated for this purchase now, not replacing the PPQs opened that avenue up. My wife has been a good sport in listening to my work through the different options and going to look at them with me. She’s also expressed an interest in at least being able to use it, revolvers aren’t her favritire thin though. Her view on this is she’d rather my revolver be used in a home emergency than her Coonan. How loving of her. If nothing else, she provides a different viewpoint when looking.

Currently her choice would be the Kimber K6S, but she also admits 23oz may be in he light side to start with. We both liked the SP101 Match Champ we looked at last night. She doesn’t love the GP100, she struggles some with the length of trigge pull. We have more to try before that decision is made.

GAG bumped the price of the GP100 Wiley Clapp to $770 and that kinda killed my buzz on it. Having seen some pictures of a used one, the tendency t seems of the finish to show every wear point killed the rest of the interest. The current one on my mind at the moment is a S&W 627 PC I touched last Friday. Yeah it has a lock, but everything is a compromise somewhere. We may go back and have the wife try it and see.

i did get to hold something that I really liked, but I know many don’t and the brand leaves me unsure of it. I got to hold a Chiappa Rhino 20DS. It’s one of the more comfortable revolvers I’ve held so far. I know it isn’t pretty but I could sacrifice pretty if it fit well and I knew it would hold up without issue.

So that’s the current state of affairs. We will probably hit the 1500 this weekend and see what is there. May get lucky may not.

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    Revolvers were not my thing when I first started collecting, but after my Dad died he passed me his colt .357, that was the start of a whole new addiction, Now I have an appreciation for the detail of these fine crafted weapons, no matter what you choose..you will want another, not because you chose wrong, but because the revolvers are great.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Welll things have changed again. A couple of sales have opened some extra funds and some serious thinking (and talking) has changed directions about.

I’ve officially sold my last 9mm and last striker fired semi auto. I don’t see myself replacing either of them anytime soon. I enjoyed the PPQs for a little over a year, but they’ve been shot less and less and I realized the other day that I haven’t shot either of them since January. I haven’t been enjoying them for awhile now. 9mm is neither as cheap or enjoyable to shoot as the 22s I shoot the most or as fun as the 357Mag & 10mm in my other semi-autos. I stopped and started questioning what I really wanted and the conclusion is that I will never train often enough with a semi-auto/9mm to be any where near proficient with it. I carry very seldom. I don’t think I’ve carried since last July and that was with the P938 I had. This realization brought me to the conclusion that even considering sacrifincg enjoyment for concealment ability is not the right choice, at least for now.

Where does that leave the revolver hunt? Well I have funds earlier than I anticipated for this purchase now, not replacing the PPQs opened that avenue up. My wife has been a good sport in listening to my work through the different options and going to look at them with me. She’s also expressed an interest in at least being able to use it, revolvers aren’t her favritire thin though. Her view on this is she’d rather my revolver be used in a home emergency than her Coonan. How loving of her. If nothing else, she provides a different viewpoint when looking.

Currently her choice would be the Kimber K6S, but she also admits 23oz may be in he light side to start with. We both liked the SP101 Match Champ we looked at last night. She doesn’t love the GP100, she struggles some with the length of trigge pull. We have more to try before that decision is made.

GAG bumped the price of the GP100 Wiley Clapp to $770 and that kinda killed my buzz on it. Having seen some pictures of a used one, the tendency t seems of the finish to show every wear point killed the rest of the interest. The current one on my mind at the moment is a S&W 627 PC I touched last Friday. Yeah it has a lock, but everything is a compromise somewhere. We may go back and have the wife try it and see.

i did get to hold something that I really liked, but I know many don’t and the brand leaves me unsure of it. I got to hold a Chiappa Rhino 20DS. It’s one of the more comfortable revolvers I’ve held so far. I know it isn’t pretty but I could sacrifice pretty if it fit well and I knew it would hold up without issue.

So that’s the current state of affairs. We will probably hit the 1500 this weekend and see what is there. May get lucky may not.

1. Chiappa Rhino 20DS??? Warning: do your research.
    2. I have heard bad things, very bad things about every aspect of a Chiappa, but perhaps that was not on the model you are looking at.

Top Bottom