• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ghostrider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Mishawaka
    I have some 9MM brass that I shot when I was breaking in my new Taurus PT709 slim. Nice little gun but it has a barrel that is not fully supported so the brass is bulged. This batch of brass was from factory ammo. Not reloaded ammo.

I tried resizing this brass in my Lee Press using the Lee carbide resizing die. I had to pitch about 2/3's of it because I couldn't get the case back to the proper size. About 1/3 of it resized just fine.

I know there are a lot of Glock owners here and I think this occurs with Glocks as well. How do you guys deal with bulged brass? Is there a trick to resizing them or am I better off just to pitch any brass that I fire in my Taurus and just reload the stuff that is shot through my other pistol that has a fully supported barrel?

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    I tried resizing this brass in my Lee Press using the Lee carbide resizing die. I had to pitch about 2/3's of it because I couldn't get the case back to the proper size. About 1/3 of it resized just fine.
    quote]

Sorry if this is a thread jack.

But when you tried resizing the brass, did it not even fit into the die? is that how you evaluated whether or not to pitch it or not?

I'm just getting into reloading for 9mm for my glocks, which is why I'm wondering.

My cases have a slight buldge in the lower portion, but they had no problem going into the re-sizing die, which I believe is full length. Does this mean I'm good to go?

experienced reloaders, I'd love for you to chime in as well.

Ghostrider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Mishawaka
    quote]

Sorry if this is a thread jack.

But when you tried resizing the brass, did it not even fit into the die? is that how you evaluated whether or not to pitch it or not?

I'm just getting into reloading for 9mm for my glocks, which is why I'm wondering.

My cases have a slight buldge in the lower portion, but they had no problem going into the re-sizing die, which I believe is full length. Does this mean I'm good to go?

experienced reloaders, I'd love for you to chime in as well.

They went through the resizing die ok but when I dropped them into my case length gauge, they would not drop in all the way unless I pushed them in. Several passes through the resizing die didn't help. If they hang up in the gauge they will probably not feed correctly. That's how I determined I didn't want to use them. Some of the cases went through the sizing die and fit into the gauge just fine. I guess those were not bulged as much as the rest. I kept those.

Lee makes a Bulge Buster Die that is supposed to take these bulges out but it is not available in 9MM yet.

I did find this:

Undersize Reloading Dies : Evolution Gun Works , World Class Precision Parts

I might try this to see how it works. I have plenty of brass that I shot through my Ruger that doesn't bulge the cases so I'm ok for now. Got plenty to reload. But I would like to find a solution for the brass shot out of the other pistol.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    sometimes even full length dies can not get the bulge out.
    which is why the Lee bulge buster was made..
    before they sold it as a kit many of us made our own version..
    get a Lee factory crimp die for 9mm luger, remove the screw top.. set it up in your press so it does not touch the shell holder get a small brass rod that is about 8mm diameter & 3 inches long..
    put brass on top of rod on press and push the brass all they way through crimp die..
    if you go mouth first it won't make the case stretch .. base first can stretch it..

all the bulge buster kit is a machined rod that fits in shell holder slot & bin to collect brass.. you still need your crimp die..

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I understand you said some cases wouldn't drop in your gauge, but maybe I don't understand just how drastic this bulge is... Was wondering tho if you tried seeing if the case drops in correctly in your chamber ? I ask because I often have similiar issue but in .40. I have several .40's who's factory barrels have larger chambers, and also several after market barrels that are might tighter. By tighter, I mean the size of the chamber. I don't mean whether it is supported well or not. I know when I resize to now grab one of the KKM barrels ( tightest ) and check to make sure the back of the case drops in flush to a little below the hood. By checking with the tightest chamber, I can be assured my reloads will function flawlessly thru any of my pistols regardless of what barrel I grab.

Ghostrider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Mishawaka
    sometimes even full length dies can not get the bulge out.
    which is why the Lee bulge buster was made..
    before they sold it as a kit many of us made our own version..
    get a Lee factory crimp die for 9mm luger, remove the screw top.. set it up in your press so it does not touch the shell holder get a small brass rod that is about 8mm diameter & 3 inches long..
    put brass on top of rod on press and push the brass all they way through crimp die..
    if you go mouth first it won't make the case stretch .. base first can stretch it..

all the bulge buster kit is a machined rod that fits in shell holder slot & bin to collect brass.. you still need your crimp die..

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to stop by Len's here in South Bend this week and pick up a spare Lee factory crimp die and give this a try.

Ghostrider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Mishawaka
    I understand you said some cases wouldn't drop in your gauge, but maybe I don't understand just how drastic this bulge is... Was wondering tho if you tried seeing if the case drops in correctly in your chamber ? I ask because I often have similiar issue but in .40. I have several .40's who's factory barrels have larger chambers, and also several after market barrels that are might tighter. By tighter, I mean the size of the chamber. I don't mean whether it is supported well or not. I know when I resize to now grab one of the KKM barrels ( tightest ) and check to make sure the back of the case drops in flush to a little below the hood. By checking with the tightest chamber, I can be assured my reloads will function flawlessly thru any of my pistols regardless of what barrel I grab.

The bulge before I run the brass through the resizing die is pretty noticeable. After running then through the die they look pretty good but most of them hang up in the gauge.

I haven't checked them with either of my barrels yet. I've been away from my reloading bench for several days now. Duty calls you know. But I'll check them with my barrel first chance I get. I usually check my finished reloads with my guage and in my barrels just to make sure but I usually just check the brass with my gauge after resizing and decapping.
    but I'll pop them in the barrel and see how they fit.

Top Bottom