• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hi-pointfan1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Gary, IN
    Hello everyone, I have a question. What are the laws about reporting stolen firearms in Indiana. Not sure if this has been asked and answered, Im sure it has but I was not able to find it. Specifically if they were stolen from your home while you were not there.

Is there an amount of time stated between when they were stolen and the time you must report them? Like within 72hrs etc.

Do you have to go down to the police station or do they have to come out to your house or is there a number you should call???

What is the process and questions they will ask, should you consult an attorney are you at risk of a criminal charge like negligence or something like that?

TIA you guys....

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You have no legal obligation to report them stolen.

Having said that, it's better to cover your tail and have a report made anyway.

They'll want to know if you have the s/n, time period it couldve been stolen, etc. Standard stuff. Just as if a bicycle or any other sort of property were to be stolen.

jsheets1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Portage NWI
    Providing you obtained your gun legally. There is no reason not to report it stolen. If it is used in a crime and is recovered you may be able to get it back. Even if not used in a crime if the person caught doesn't have a ccw it will get called in. But yeah definitely get a report to cover your own rear.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I agree, with a legal gun there is no reason not to report it stolen.
    You might never find it again anyway but if it's used in a crime the police will know that it was not "your" gun anymore at the moment of the crime.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Definitely report it stolen as soon as possible. If you have insurance, they will probably require a police report to file the claim.
    I keep a log book of all firearms that my wife and I own, with serial #, description, and any other information that may come in handy for police reports, or even answering questions that a potential buyer may ask if I ever sell one.

Sgood

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    West Newton
    Oh and wait for the phone calls about every 4 months asking if you have recovered them, yet.

No ****, I was called like every 4 months for a year......I was like isn't that your job??

hi-pointfan1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Gary, IN
    Oh and wait for the phone calls about every 4 months asking if you have recovered them, yet.

No ****, I was called like every 4 months for a year......I was like isn't that your job??

LMFAO - Yeah well now with this Patriot Act they might just find it easier to tap the phone line.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    why does this not smell quite right?:):

Why are you reluctant to report that your gun was stolen? Why do you feel that you may need an attorney when you have had something stolen from you?

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom