• ...and so much more!
  • loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    Just out of curiosity. How long do most of you keep your self defense ammo in your carry gun before you fire them and replace with fresh ammo? This also includes extra mags in mag pouches. For me I have very rarely done it or think about it. Since the pandemic, I have carried more than I ever have before. So now I realize that the ammo is exposed to different weather and elements much much more. Whats your thoughts INGO?

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Many have regiments of replacing weekly or monthly, or every range trip. I’ve never in my life had or heard of old carry ammo not going bang. I usually shoot it off and replace about once a year myself. If you constantly cycle chambered vs. not, I would definitely shoot it every range trip to avoid bullet setback. Otherwise I don’t really see a point.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    Many have regiments of replacing weekly or monthly, or every range trip. I’ve never in my life had or heard of old carry ammo not going bang. I usually shoot it off and replace about once a year myself. If you constantly cycle chambered vs. not, I would definitely shoot it every range trip to avoid bullet setback. Otherwise I don’t really see a point.
    I also didn't think about bullet setback. I always carry chambered, and have most of my carry life. And do reload for my carry gun. While taking out the barrel for the clump test. So it does get recycled. Wow thanks

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    While some suggest 6 months or 12 or etc I’ll say “Depends” as there is not a set answer only general ones.

I would replace the top round as needed and inspect it for bullet set back and etc. in the Rangemaster manual it shows components can break down (like compounds in the primer etc) after just 2 chambering. I don’t change mine out that frequent but do inspect for damage to ye casing rim or bullet set back.

The rest I generally change out every year however there can be exception. I am not generally in and out going from humid, cold hot rainy weather like I was as a Municipal LEO. So if there are those factors of extreme rapid temperature changes where say condensation could ba a concern from your environmental factors etc might change out early.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Chambered rounds either get shot, or if ejected, go into a baggie for the range. They do not get re-chambered. They do not get rotated down in the magazine. They get pulled for training and practice purposes.

Other rounds that have not been chambered, but have just been carried in magazines, get rotated annually.

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Rotate everything annually. Even the ammo that's just in mags gets rotated. I mark the box(es) the ammo comes out of with the rotation date as well.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I change my SD ammo about once a year. And I agree with whoever said, "If it gets chambered, it gets shot." Anything I chamber in an autoloader is range ammo if it comes out unfired.
    Not a direct answer to the question, but... In 1977, I was stationed in northern West Germany, Bremerhaven to be exact. Our barracks was an old German Army barracks. One day, I had nothing better to do and I decided to explore the nooks and crannies of the attic. Among other things, I found bunch of loaded K98 stripper clips. I notified Top, who notified EOD. They took possession, to it to the range, and all of them went bang. Thirty-two years in an unheated, non-air condition attic, in northern Germany, and it all worked. Sidebar: That same summer, a German construction crew unearthed 500 pound allied bomb withing 10 feet of our building. EOD, again.
    About 3 years ago, my family moved from Bourbon to Osceola. While packing up, I found box containing 450 rounds of 45 ACP reload, and a couple magazines full of 45 ACP 230gr FMJ that sat, forgotten, for about 20 years. I shot it all up in an old RIA 1911. It all worked.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    While some suggest 6 months or 12 or etc I’ll say “Depends” as there is not a set answer only general ones.

I would replace the top round as needed and inspect it for bullet set back and etc. in the Rangemaster manual it shows components can break down (like compounds in the primer etc) after just 2 chambering. I don’t change mine out that frequent but do inspect for damage to ye casing rim or bullet set back.

The rest I generally change out every year however there can be exception. I am not generally in and out going from humid, cold hot rainy weather like I was as a Municipal LEO. So if there are those factors of extreme rapid temperature changes where say condensation could ba a concern from your environmental factors etc might change out early.
    Another thing is to use nickel plated brass.
    When you do manual labor that moisture will corrode brass fast if it isn't nickel plated. Copper jackets will discolor as well.
    I'm with you on changing out edc ammunition. Especially if you do a lot of manual labor and carry iwb.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I've seen 9mm ammo carried on watch produce more malfunctions than fresh ammo. This is stuff kept out in the hot and cold all the time, it does degrade over time. How much is the question.

On the civilian side...More than once I've seen someone at the range use their old and tarnished carry ammo produce some sort of issue. Its expensive and they don't want to replace it.

I like the Paul Harrel notion of....don't carry ammo too expensive for you to practice with....
    th-3763803158.jpg

So for me I shoot the carry ammo off once a year for peace of mind.

SmokingTrigger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2023
    Hancock County
    Usually depends how many times I've re chambered a round.

The last 18 months I've been pocket carrying a lot. Good way to deep conceal at work with no one knowing I have it. I've been lazy on cleaning it so I think I'm going to implement a minimum bi annual ammo fresh and cleaning Regiment even though it still went bang after 18 months.

My other guns just depends. I'd say yearly. Whenever I change batteries in the optics.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Usually depends how many times I've re chambered a round.

The last 18 months I've been pocket carrying a lot. Good way to deep conceal at work with no one knowing I have it. I've been lazy on cleaning it so I think I'm going to implement a minimum bi annual ammo fresh and cleaning Regiment even though it still went bang after 18 months.

My other guns just depends. I'd say yearly. Whenever I change batteries in the optics.
    I'd be afraid to let a gun I depend on, especially a pocket carry, go 18 months without a least an internal lube job. I try to lube my semi-autos (that I pocket-carry) every other month, and clean/lube the magazines every time I shoot them. Which reminds me, its time to run a box through my Kahr CM9 and my P32.

BackFromDC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    Usually when I get bored and find another interesting bullet, so like 3 to 6 months. But I sometimes shoot out what's in the mag, but mostly I put it back in it's box and keep it on a bookshelf to add to my collection of interesting ammo.

SmokingTrigger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2023
    Hancock County
    I'd be afraid to let a gun I depend on, especially a pocket carry, go 18 months without a least an internal lube job. I try to lube my semi-autos (that I pocket-carry) every other month, and clean/lube the magazines every time I shoot them. Which reminds me, its time to run a box through my Kahr CM9 and my P32.
    Definitely not ideal. Which is why I'm going to schedule more regular maintenance on it. I already do that with optics on pistols and rifles just gotta add one more.

Top Bottom