Replacing struts and coil springs vs. coil springs alone?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Mrs. Miguel has had a clunk in her van for a couple of months now, so we decided to check it out.

First shop, which I've gone to for 20+ years and never had a problem with, said everything was fine and it was my tires making the noise. :scratch:

Second local shop (not a dealer) said I had a cracked coil on the front passenger side and recommended I replace both struts, maybe the sway bar links and then get an alignment for a total of $1,600. I'm not sure if that is a competitive price in the market, but it is a little high for Miguel's budget at the moment.

I know I can change them myself for < $500 or so, but now is a bad time as they like to say and I'd rather write a check, just not a $1,600 one! :):

Does anyone who is a mechanic or mechanically inclined know if it is reasonable (assuming the only issue is the coil being cracked...) to counter with having only the coils replaced, rather than the entire assembly?

Would love opinions. And fast... :D

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Do not know where you are located but....

I've often purchased springs and struts from Tire Rack and had Northwest Frame and Alignment in Zville do the install.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Yes. Couple bolts on top, one on bottom. Should only take an hour or so per side max. If your crunched for time you can do one side at a time.
    That's what I was thinking after seeing this video. I am mechanical enough to do this, since I've done brakes, rotors, etc.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    To do the springs, the struts have to come out. And if you need a spring replaced, the odds are good you need the struts replaced too.

If you can do a complete brake job, you can probably do these as well.
    Like brakes, you want to do the whole axle. ProTip: either disconnect the swaybar endlink or put both sides up on jack-stands.

You should still get an alignment afterwards unless you don't care about your tires.

$1600 is a bit high, but not unreasonable when you include springs, struts, strut mounts, swaybar links/bushings, LABOR, an alignment and LABOR.
    It might be worth a negotiation, but I wouldn't expect a 50% discount unless you've got other leverage.

Last edited:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    To do the springs, the struts have to come out. And if you need a spring replaced, the odds are good you need the struts replaced too.
    Good point, I'm just looking for some way to bring that price down a bit.

I am all for people making a living, but I like to include myself in that group, too. :D

We'll see how it goes in the morning!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As an auto technician, if it were my vehicle it would get a set of quick struts (Monroe's line). Many shops will get you for struts and springs separately because it more than doubles the labor time. Most shops charge by the flat rate hour based on book time for the job.
    My advise would be to carve out a few hours and do it yourself. It's really not too difficult

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Replace it all. The bearing in the top is a source of clunk sounds, any roughness in that bearing is felt in the steering. The rubber over travel bumpers, the dust boots and everything else is aged and deteriorated. If you change it all, you will not be taking it back apart for a long time.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Thanks for all the feedback, fellas. It is great to know INGO is there to help out, be it guns, cars or whatever! :ingo:

I called multiple shops earlier today and got a quote that was in the 60% range of the initial quote, from a place I've used before with good results. They'll use quick struts.

I know I could do it cheaper myself, but with all the family has going on right now, it's worth the extra couple of hundred to have a pro do it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Thanks for all the feedback, fellas. It is great to know INGO is there to help out, be it guns, cars or whatever! :ingo:

I called multiple shops earlier today and got a quote that was in the 60% range of the initial quote, from a place I've used before with good results. They'll use quick struts.

I know I could do it cheaper myself, but with all the family has going on right now, it's worth the extra couple of hundred to have a pro do it.
    Yep. Time is money too. Our alternator pooped out on us a few weeks ago. A new one with a belt from RockAuto was $250 shipped. But it wouldn't have been here until Wednesday. New ones local were $450+.

I had it done for a little over $500 and it was completed by Tuesday. I wouldn't have had time to do it until the following Sunday.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Yep. Time is money too. Our alternator pooped out on us a few weeks ago. A new one with a belt from RockAuto was $250 shipped. But it wouldn't have been here until Wednesday. New ones local were $450+.

I had it done for a little over $500 and it was completed by Tuesday. I wouldn't have had time to do it until the following Sunday.
    Mechanical skill is like a gun...you hope you never have to use it, but it's good to know you can when it's crunch time! :):

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    As a suspension snob that does all my own work, I wouldn't use monroe or quick struts on my own vehicle if there were any other option (well, OK, the reflex line for trucks are decent). They work OK on the average joe's car that you have to tell them the car's making bad noises though. Notice that quick struts are usually cheaper than the sum of the parts bought individually AND they're already assembled? How's that work. I've read quite a few anecdotes about the springs being noticeably sub-par on quality or the wrong rates and several cases where someone had to torque the bolts holding it together because it wasn't done at the factory.

In my garage, a boringly reliable daily is 15 years old and I swap them out from time to time so I do keep my skills and tools dusted off lol.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I've done both, quick struts and disassembly/replacement of struts while reusing the same springs. You pay a premium for quick struts, but they're much faster. Literally five bolts and the brake line clip, and you're done. Depending on exact design you may need an alignment, some struts have slotted holes for camber adjustment. Others have fixed holes because camber is set by cam bolts on the control arm.

It's worth some money to not deal with spring compressors and taking the strut apart, especially as a hobbyist that doesn't have a proper wall-mounted spring compressor.

Like the above poster, my opinion of Monroes isn't very high. They are a very "good enough" type of brand. Unfortunately a lot of the time you can't get quick struts from any other supplier.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    While I wouldn't bolt Monroe shocks/struts on a racecar or off road truck, they are more than capable of handling use on daily drivers. We almost exclusively use them on police vehicles that are absolutely abused like rented mules and they have held up very well. Dare I say as well or better then OEM from Ford or Dodge (don't have GM cars). Some vehicles upon installation have a slightly higher ride height, but they always settle within a few days back to where they should be.
    I wouldn't hesitate to bolt them on my daily driver

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Love the continuing discussion!

I know the Honda parts guy said they have no struts in stock and could not tell me when they will be available again, due to continuing supply chain issues.

I may ask my shop to check the strut itself to see if I can get by with them only replacing the springs on both sides, but at a certain point, I just want it to be in the rear view mirror. If it would be $600 to do the springs (which I assume will be more labor intensive than yanking/installing a whole assembly) I might as well drop $900 on the whole shebang.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Love the continuing discussion!

I know the Honda parts guy said they have no struts in stock and could not tell me when they will be available again, due to continuing supply chain issues.

I may ask my shop to check the strut itself to see if I can get by with them only replacing the springs on both sides, but at a certain point, I just want it to be in the rear view mirror. If it would be $600 to do the springs (which I assume will be more labor intensive than yanking/installing a whole assembly) I might as well drop $900 on the whole shebang.
    IMO no point in only replacing the springs and re-using the same struts. Might as well replace them if you gotta pull it apart. I would only reuse the springs, and then only in a budget situation. If the springs are the problem, no reason not to do quick struts since you gotta buy springs anyway.

Top Bottom