• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I've emailed everyone, which is the best I can do while camping in the florida keys.

Will write snail mail when we get home on the 22nd.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    I emailed Sen Coats, Donnelly Rep. Rokita, Govrn Elect Pence, my state reps. I am going to be working on written letters to their D.C. offices in the next few days.

**I am rep'n everyone as well.....however INGO hates me and tells me I have rep'd too much for one day......

** Note to myself: left off at Mosinowner page 1, 12-20-12**

Last edited:

Lecaia713

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Just a note. The address for Rep. Andre Carson on whoismyrepresentative.com is incorrect. According to Carson's website, his address in D.C. is 2453 Rayburn House Office Building, Washington, DC 20515-1407. Not sure it will make a difference with him, but...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    What are you guys writing in your letters?

I don't care about the rep for it, but here's my letter to Rokita. I got a little wordy and I emailed it, but I'm hopeful I got my point across.
    Dear Rep. Rokita,

Good day, sir. I am curious if you are maintaining your previous stand on the Second Amendment or if you're caving to societal pressures to ban or to restrict objects when people are the root cause of the problem in question?
    It's been said many times in the last few days since the CT tragedy that "we need to have a frank discussion on guns".
    I would agree.
    We need to consider that CT has, according to the Brady Campaign, the fifth strictest laws in the country. We need to consider that the shooter did not care about the law preventing someone under the age of 21 from even possessing a gun in CT; he intended to commit murder, so that law mattered not at all.
    We need to consider that the PA in the school was turned on; an armed faculty member or office secretary could have ended the threat quickly and easily with that amount of warning.
    We need to consider that heroin and methamphetamine are fully prohibited everywhere in the US, and yet we still have problems with those substances. Why would regulation of guns, ammo, magazines, etc. be more successful?

We need to consider that in the rush to be seen as "doing something", we don't do something that makes the situation far, far worse, in defiance of your oath as a member of Congress to support and defend the Constitution.

Mr. Rokita, or whoever in your office is answering your mail, please answer this direct question with a direct answer: Will your vote be cast to violate the Constitutional protection of the right to keep and bear arms in defense of one's life, or will you be voting against those who do so?

Thank you very much, in advance, for your answer to this question and for actually reading my letter.

Most sincerely,

(name and address redacted)
    In re-reading it, I see that this may have been a bit too confrontational, but blast it, this is the time for confrontation. I would much prefer to confront the issues on paper or a screen than any other form of confrontation that may become necessary. (ETA: and I also notice that I included the part about being 21 in CT to possess, which I meant to check before sending and forgot to do so. Teach me to post when tired. :rolleyes:

I also expect that I will get no direct answer, only a form letter that says nothing. I'm hoping I'm wrong on that, but not holding my breath.

Blessings,
    Bill

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    What are you guys writing in your letters?

Mine was too long. My hand still hurts:

Dear Sir,

I am writing in the shadow of the tragic school shooting in Connecticut that took the lives of countless children at the hands of a terrible murderer. The pains of their families, the responders, and all those connected to this tragedy are without measure and stun the mind just as much as they break the heart.

As we bury our little ones, and weep for the futures that they never got to live out there is an empty place of pain that cries out for action and vengeance as a hoped for salve of justice that could somehow make right what has been done by a single individual who is now beyond our punishment, understanding, or grasp.

That feeling, that call, that place of pain is part of the best of us. That desire not to take injustice but to right it. That urge to make whatever we can from the burnt ashes that remain. The feeling that if we but do something, anything, that we can avenge what has happened and possibly prevent the next event from taking place.

But I urge you to remember that even the best of us, especially in the emotional moment of tragedy, should never be the source of our freedoms and futures. If history has taught us nothing more, there are two truths: in every generation evil will rise up against us and we will have to fight it, and the emotional vacillations of the people no matter how well intended can lead to places of unintended consequences and continued tragedy.

Your job, the one we entrusted to you, is to be the wise and calm mind of leadership in the storm of life's tragedies, even great national ones. You are the one we entrusted to help guide us through the shoals and rocks of a stormy voyage in an often harsh sea. You are the one whose eyes cannot be trapped in this moment, but instead fixed on where we are going and the calm seas that await us in times ahead.

So I urge you, both as your constituent, and as a fellow American, please do not act precipitously and in reaction to the storm itself or to the calls of those on the ship who are calling for action that sources from the best of their hearts, but will only lead us into a new storm and keep us from the harbor of home and safety.

Do not take this time of tears and shock to succumb to the calls for new gun control legislation or a return of the Assault Weapons Ban. None of those laws would have prevented this tragedy and only work to curb the law abiding and most willing to help people in this country from having the tools and capacity to stop an active shooter event if by fate they find themselves in one.

So many imagine themselves hiding behind a glass case in a mall wondering what they will do if the active shooter comes their way. I know I have imagined that horrific moment a thousand times. The one thing I do know is that as a firearms owner, and a legal carrier of a firearm, those with me behind that counter would have a fighting chance. Why? Because having the capacity to help is the first step in being able to help. That truth can be counted 300,000 more times in our state of Indiana, and millions more times across the 49 states that issue carry permits.

I entrust you with the stillness of mind that is a near impossibility in the face of the pictures and videos of this evil butchery. I also entrust that no matter how hard it is to hold the ship on course, in the midst of the calls and letters that are surely already deluging your office, that you will hold course and make your great decisions in a place of calm and deliberation so that they are the best decisions you can make.

And I also entrust that you take the time to hug your own family and pay back life with the greatest answer that can come in the face of such a terrific event: Love.

You have my prayers and thoughts,
    Joshua Streiff

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Multiple letters sent via fax, email, and USPS to the offices of each politician. When writing to the congresscritters I send copies to their legislative offices in Washington, and each one of their local offices. I always mail, fax, and email. That way I get a triple count.

Save a copy of every letter and message you send. That makes it easy to edit and resubmit as needed.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Done, good idea on the reps!
    You should offer a solution besides "you can't stop it".

My message is this!
    Get armed train security and/or armed trained teachers to stop this crazy stuff.
    It works for Israel. I think it is time to do it here.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Just got an email from Sneaky Pete responding to mine.

Dear Joseph:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent shooting in Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you.

I was shocked and heartbroken to learn of the horrific shooting that occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. The fact that so many victims were the most innocent among us, children, weighs heavily upon my heart as well as those of every American. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the victims of these attacks and their families for their unfathomable loss. As this marks the seventh mass shooting in the United States in 2012 alone, I firmly believe that Congress must take decisive action to prevent such senseless tragedies from happening again.

While I support the possession of legal firearms by responsible law abiding citizens, I am opposed to the availability of military assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines, which pose serious threats to public safety and the law enforcement officers who risk their lives protecting us. I believe that there are certain actions we can take to ensure that adequate safety protections exist to reduce the overall level of violence in this country, which in no way means that people shouldn't continue to enjoy their second amendment rights.

That is why, in the 103rd Congress, I supported the assault weapons ban, which prohibited the manufacture, transfer, or possession of semiautomatic assault weapons, including those with a large capacity ammunition feeding device. I deeply regret that President Bush allowed this ban to expire in 2004. Also in the 103rd Congress, I supported passage of the Brady Act, currently known as the national instant criminal background check system, which requires background checks for all firearm transfers and purchases.

In the 112th Congress, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy has introduced H.R. 308, the Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act, which would reinstate the ban on semiautomatic weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices. Because the 112th Congress will adjourn shortly, this measure is not expected to receive consideration. However, Rep. McCarthy has indicated that she will reintroduce this legislation in the 113th Congress. Should Rep. McCarthy formally reintroduce this legislation, I assure you that I will monitor it with your views in mind.

As the nation continues to make sense of the tragedy at Sandy Hook, I hope that our country will have a serious and thoughtful discussion to ensure that we find a proper balance between Americans' right to own guns and the right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Thank you again for contacting me. Do not hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Peter J. Visclosky
    Member of Congress

Sounds like a form letter and typical BS to me.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I hope that our country will have a serious and thoughtful discussion to ensure that we find a proper balance between Americans' right to own guns and the right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."
    This part scares me most.

Top Bottom