• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Why are these so valuable! My dad was asking me to sell a couple of his guns, and I figured I would buy both of them, but the Remington was the one I was most interested in. Low and behold I am seeing them sell for like $700!

What makes these so desirable? I know it is one of the most accurate 22s I have ever shot, and it has a lot of family history. I want to make sure I can keep it in the family, but I am having a hard time explaining to the wife-to-be why I might have to give my dad well over $500 for it, just to be honest to him. Thankfully that was the gun we taught her to shoot on, so she wants me to buy it, but geeze...

Any information? Any tips on buying "family" guns you really dont have the money for? Unfortunately my dad needs the cash, so I cant really ask him to just set it aside for me.

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    i got one 541s w/ shortened barrel that shoots w/ anything i got,and i got em.that is a keeper gun,unlike a 541t which are great too,the s models have class of their own,like old winchesters vs new.700,00 is very realistic.i got more expensive 22 rifles,but the 541s is close enough to ultimate in my oppinion.i would sell something i can get back later.thats how i get some of mine.i hope you get it

tdmman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    South Central Indiana
    It's classic supply and demand. Most people could not afford to buy a 541. They would have liked to, but they were putting food on the table. So very few were sold. Now the kids are grown and the old man has a little money to spend. You always want what you couldn't have then. I just paid $600 for a Browning .22 for the same reason.

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    You might try looking in the blue book of Guns for a more realistic value on the rifle. It may go the other way though.
    My first rifle was a 582 which is the same action in a less elegant stock with a tube magazine. Mine has a very nice walnut stock. Of course I still have it. I also have a 540 X which is the same action in a target rifle stock and barrel. Notice I still have both of these.
    At one time I had one of the original High Standard 10X models. I should have kept that one. The value of that is astronomical now.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    You might try looking in the blue book of Guns for a more realistic value on the rifle. It may go the other way though.
    My first rifle was a 582 which is the same action in a less elegant stock with a tube magazine. Mine has a very nice walnut stock. Of course I still have it. I also have a 540 X which is the same action in a target rifle stock and barrel. Notice I still have both of these.
    At one time I had one of the original High Standard 10X models. I should have kept that one. The value of that is astronomical now.

The condition my dad's is in is still about $600~ in the book I have, which is a few years old.

I havent talked to him yet, Im trying to get a feel from my mom how much money he is hoping to get. She said it is for my sister's graduation, so Im hoping I can get away with lending him a few hundred bucks, since he has no idea of the value and likely only expecting that much. That way it stays in the family, and at a later point I can buy it for fair value. Anyone know about how much they originally sold for?

Greengunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Ripley Co.
    tdmman hit it on the head. I have a 581 which is the same action just in plain walnut stock that was my dads. It shots just as good as my 541S. Wouldn't part with either one.

Top Bottom