• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For what it's worth, there is a "special" technique for slingshotting the slide of a Beretta or S&W 3rd Gen that prevents pushing the safeties downward and making the gun inert. When I learned it, the instructor called it "the L.A. claw," which I assumed meant it was from the LAPD who at one time had a lot of Berettas and 5906s in holsters.

Instead of grabbing the slide, you "hook" under the safety levers on each with your forefinger and middle finger of your support and use that to retract the slide and release. It does a pretty good job, but it's specific to guns with ambi safeties in that position on the slide.

I use the slide release for my 5906, 5904, and 3914 because they have 'em. When I have a pistol in my hands that has no external slide release or a vestigial memory of one (like a Glock), I rack the slide overhand to release it.

theblackknight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Please, continue with the assumptions 29 palms FB pic avatar guy.

I'm also not really sure if someone who works for Gabe Suarez taking the time to google my gay screen name is flattering or sad, prob both.

I had a 2nd Gen 669 that I used for cross training for the M9 on my own time. This pistol had the most unuseable slide stop of anything I've shot so I didnt have a choice.I'm all in good with how to do it.

I didnt mention your #5 for a reason. Thats a good thing.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

I'm also not really sure if someone who works for Gabe Suarez taking the time to google my gay screen name is flattering or sad, prob both.

I had a 2nd Gen 669 that I used for cross training for the M9 on my own time. This pistol had the most unuseable slide stop of anything I've shot so I didnt have a choice.I'm all in good with how to do it.

:): No googling required. Your profile here shows your age. I assume you are a cop using the clues of the smug, superior attitude, unwillingness to consider other points of view, and comments you have made in other threads. I could be totally wrong of course, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    For what it's worth, there is a "special" technique for slingshotting the slide of a Beretta or S&W 3rd Gen that prevents pushing the safeties downward and making the gun inert. When I learned it, the instructor called it "the L.A. claw," which I assumed meant it was from the LAPD who at one time had a lot of Berettas and 5906s in holsters.

Instead of grabbing the slide, you "hook" under the safety levers on each with your forefinger and middle finger of your support and use that to retract the slide and release. It does a pretty good job, but it's specific to guns with ambi safeties in that position on the slide.

The claw isn't a bad way either, though it can get slippery if bloody/muddy/sweaty. Then again, so can anything else.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    :): No googling required. Your profile here shows your age. I assume you are a cop using the clues of the smug, superior attitude, unwillingness to consider other points of view, and comments you have made in other threads. I could be totally wrong of course, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Hilarious. :+1:

Ahh yes. More adolescent posturing to show us all that he's "tough" and still "the boss". I know that I for one am impressed.
    Please oh please grand master, god of combat who holds respect for others as beneath him as he has no equals, let us mere mortals sit at your feet and learn the hidden truths of life and war. We would be lost without your guidance.

Seriously dude. No one is impressed. Lose the super-trooper, my word is gospel, everyone-who-disagrees-with-me-is-a-dumb#$@ mentality. You'll learn faster, make more friends, and reach/teach more people.

If you actually are a cop, which is what your answer to cedartop implied, then this goes double for you. You have a higher chance than most people of getting into a violent situation. It would behoove you to keep your mind open and learn from others' perspective as you're going to need every bit of useful knowledge you can get. Dismissing people because what they say doesn't exactly line up with what your instructor told you / "how I've always done it" is pure arrogance and arrogance leads to complacency. Complacency will get you killed, or worse, your friend or family killed.

Last edited:

theblackknight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Lol, good form cedar dude. Thats funny.:)

For the other guy, man you soo right, I could totally use a lesson in humility from you. I cant wait to here what other person qualities youve gleaned from a few posts on the internet about me and how I must be close minded and dogmatic. That level of knowledge is usually on par with someone who reads a lot of cosmo magazine.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    How did this topic from discussing reloading and how to return the slide into battery to . . . this?

I (and the people before me) made the mistake of trying to get through to a pissant who doesn't want to learn.

But you're right. Play stupid games. Win stupid prizes.:horse:

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Fixed it for you. The part about consistency with immediate action is spot on. The rest, not so much. The best reason to release the slide by pulling on it and letting it goes is consistency accross different weapons. Some pistols have no external slide release, so racking the slide is the only way to do with most of them.

and you can hit the slide release with your shooting hand while reaching for your next mag.. save time on the next reload..

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana

I use the slide release for my 5906, 5904, and 3914 because they have 'em. When I have a pistol in my hands that has no external slide release or a vestigial memory of one (like a Glock), I rack the slide overhand to release it.

i may not shoot my 5906 as much as other guns now days, but in 23 years i have never pushed the safety on when racking the slide, unless i wanted to..

brute69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    My friend who is a leo said that in school they would often hear about reports where officers had emptied entire mags and thought they had fired only two or three shots, point being the ability to keep a round count in a firefight is slim at best.

Top Bottom