• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    In addition to what rockhopper said, I also rack the slide whether I shoot till empty or not. Chance of wasting one round at times...but saves me from developing two habits. If I reload, I rack the slide period.

This.

I prefer to do mag changes the same way every time. The problem with using the slide catch/release is that sometimes when you do a reload, you use the slide catch/release, and sometimes you will have to rack the slide. I know this seems easy enough to do, but when someone is shooting at you, this might cause you enough of a delay to get taken out of the fight. As far as counting the number of rounds and doing a reload when you have an empty mag and one in the chamber, I think that sounds great, but I'm not going to bet my life on it. Speed is important, but it is more important to take out as much of the OODA loop as I can.

whispers76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    In a real self defense situation, it's always good to drop the mag and load a fresh one once the attacker is down. However most people will not realize the attacker is down or think about reloading until the slide locks back. Training is great & necessary but not even the best force on force drills will have the same physiological effects as the real thing.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I, also, have been taught to NOT use the slide stop lever as a release, especially with a 1911. In fact, if I do that with my Kimber, the first round will NOT chamber. Period.

A friend just bought a Kahr PM9 and wanted me to help him get to know it. To that end, I went to the Kahr website and downloaded the owner's manual for the PM9. From page 16 on Loading and Firing:

"Insert the magazine into the magazine well at the base of the grip until the magazine catch engages fully.

Pull the slide fully to the rear and lock it back using the Slide Stop. Next push down on the Slide Stop to chamber the first round into the barrel. Do not chamber a round by pulling back on the slide and letting go of the slide. This may cause the slide to not go fully into battery."

Go figure.

Last edited:

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana

I have to agree with the person you question. If you are a LEO/Security or Military, these seem to be important considerations. As a civilian? I don't think the tactical reload comes into play as a necessary drill in other than competition.

You are more likely to be killed by that 19 year old blonde who is texting whilst driving, than thinking about a tactical reload or combat pickup.

Same with the "+1" discussions. Armchair combat.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... Another fail of the slide rack only,rack always mindset is using light. ... Go try this with a surefire in a dark closet and do a grip-rip reload...

Interesting that I did not notice this being a problem at ACT's low light class last December.

Worked fine for me (not using the cigar grip, btw).

Maybe problems would have manifested themselves if I had practiced this in a dark closet, but it was on a range, at night, with live ammunition.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Another fail of the slide rack only,rack always mindset is using light.

Go try this with a surefire in a dark closet and do a grip-rip reload. Wasnt that fun!You just flashed yourself in the face with your 100% awesome sauce reload.

I'm not understanding what you're trying to say there. Are you saying that you can't manage a light and rack the slide at the same time? If so, there are multiple ways of managing it, whether you choose to rack the slide or use the slide release.

All of this talk of "battle field pick ups" is absolutly silly.

Why?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I'm not understanding what you're trying to say there. Are you saying that you can't manage a light and rack the slide at the same time? If so, there are multiple ways of managing it, whether you choose to rack the slide or use the slide release.

Why?

In your case, because you already carry 3-4 guns. :laugh:

TBK, shut up and let us enjoy our supertactical ninja red dawn fantasies, mmkay? Middle aged white collar life is boring, we need this. :laugh:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What's the "combat pickup" people keep mentioning? Finding a weapon randomly on the ground? Finding a magazine?

I believe so.

I saw this explained on TV by a well known instructor. He'd say, "well, if we move behind this barrier we may find this AR15 so we replace our Rem870 with it."

:rolleyes:

I can see this taking place with a squad where a team member may set down a weapon or you may take cover behind a squad car. However, on my own - I'll stick with a known quantity, thank you.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I believe so.

I saw this explained on TV by a well known instructor. He'd say, "well, if we move behind this barrier we may find this AR15 so we replace our Rem870 with it."

:rolleyes:

I can see this taking place with a squad where a team member may set down a weapon or you may take cover behind a squad car. However, on my own - I'll stick with a known quantity, thank you.

OK, well in that case, I don't think it seems very relevant to discussion about reloading. You're not going to intentionally drop a magazine for somebody else to use, and in non-military situations, odds aren't great that you'll just happen to find a magazine that fits your pistol and has the same caliber, and you definitely don't want to rely on random magazines for a reload—ought to be carrying those if you think you'll need the extra.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    OPPS, I intented to mean "anyone who sling shots a beretta is a dumbass".

Another fail of the slide rack only,rack always mindset is using light.

Using a light with this grip(the grip itself, not the ring) seems to work the best because I dont have to change my grip much and can still crush the gun.

Go try this with a surefire in a dark closet and do a grip-rip reload. Wasnt that fun!You just flashed yourself in the face with your 100% awesome sauce reload.

All of this talk of "battle field pick ups" is absolutly silly.

1: Just because a certain light doesn't work with power stroking the beretta doesn't mean power stroking the beretta is a bad idea.
    2: Being afraid to power stroke the beretta because you might de-cock it just means you don't train enough to grab the slide correctly. (Insert thumb under the decock/safety lever to avoid pressing it down)
    3: If you still think "all people who sling shot a beretta are dumb#$!@" then perhaps you think these guys are incompetent too:
    travis-haley-headshot
    chris-costa.jpeg

4: If you don't know who they are please educate yourself (Travis Haley and Chris Costa)
    5: I am not saying that sling shotting a 92 is always the best thing to do in all situations. I am just saying that it is perfeclty legit. I carried one for years, and it litteraly saved my life. I trained both to power stroke it and to use the "catch" depending on the situation. (AKA stressed = power stroke) One of the reasons why I replaced it with an XD is that I hated getting bit every now and then when I power stroked it in the manner to avoid decocking it. That stupid safety was the gun's biggest design flaw IMO. (The second being that silly DA/SA action trigger. Two trigger pulls? Nonsense to me. But that is the Army for you.)
    Anyway point being this: Seriously just because you don't like a certain method doesn't mean you have to be profane when someone else uses it.

Last edited:

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    And now to address the OP

Reloading with a round in the chamber, aka a "tac reload" should be regularly practiced at the end of each shooting drill you do. You will never be able to count rounds in a gun fight. Take the rush of letting rounds fly for real, add adrenaline because someone is trying to kill you, add trying to count your rounds, add trying to discern your "bangs" from his "bangs", add your hearing going to hell in a hand basket, and you will never know exactly how many rounds you let loose.
    To give an object example. I was doing FoF one day. My opponent was playing the "bad guy" and had been instructed not to go down until I had planted several COM hits on him or a head shot. (To simulate a human being who is a dedicated opponent.) Between my shooting and his shooting and moving around to gain advantage, etc, I had emptied a mag, done an emergency (combat) reload, finally shot him dead, and didn't even realize I had gone through a mag before I reached down to my mag holder and realized a mag was missing when I went to do a tac reload.
    And that was just practice.
    Reload after every engagement.
    Also, if running a high cap side by side or staggered mag, load one or two rounds down on your mags. (so if you have a 19 rd mag load to 17 for example) This will greatly reducing malfunctions caused by too much spring tension, usually seen when you load a fully topped off mag into a gun with a round in the chamber. This goes double for the AR-15.

Last edited:

theblackknight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    1: Just because a certain light doesn't work with power stroking the beretta doesn't mean power stroking the beretta is a bad idea.What modern flashlights made for handheld use and shooting are you using that dont have a end cap button?
    2: Being afraid to power stroke the beretta because you might de-cock it just means you don't train enough to grab the slide correctly. (Insert thumb under the decock/safety lever to avoid pressing it down)So you'd rather not use a faster technique bc of "motor skills" and stress yet recommend training more for something that uses those same finger tip functions?GTFO:laugh:
    3: If you still think "all people who sling shot a beretta are dumb#$!@" then perhaps you think these guys are incompetent too:
    Swinging from another dude's balls isnt very becoming, and posting mean mug fanboy picks is even worse

DERP!

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I was actually semi confused with the OP. I was thinking he either meant a tac reload, or did he meant a shooter fires until he knows the mag is empty, ejects the empty mag and inserts a fresh mag with a round still in the chamber. I just saw that done in a demo video. The guy counts his rounds and reloads before the slide locks back.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    "1: Just because a certain light doesn't work with power stroking the beretta doesn't mean power stroking the beretta is a bad idea.What modern flashlights made for handheld use and shooting are you using that dont have a end cap button?
    If you didn't understand this point I can't help you.
    2: Being afraid to power stroke the beretta because you might de-cock it just means
    you don't train enough to grab the slide correctly. (Insert thumb under the decock/safety lever to avoid pressing it down)So you'd rather not use a faster technique bc of "motor skills" and stress yet recommend training more for something that uses those same finger tip functions?GTFO:laugh:
    Way to completely ignore the point. I was just pointing out that you aren't grabbing it right and are obviously ignorant of how to properly power stroke a 92fs. BTW it doesn't take more training. I mispoke. It just takes training correctly. I used the words "trained enough" meaning you hadn't trained enough to find out the right way to do it. I also didn't say it was better than using the lever. I just said it was legit. Read the entire post.
    Swinging from another dude's balls isnt very becoming, and posting mean mug fanboy picks is even worse
    Yeah the point of this was to show that there are people way more credible than you who disaggree with you. I'm so sorry. I didn't realize that I was talking to a combat god whose words should be taken as gospel. I personally didn't want to use my own experiences or credentials because I have enough humility to understand that there are people with better experience than me. Have I used violence to defend myself? Yes. Have I carried a 92fs and trained with it? Yes. Have I had training from experts? Yes. Does the word of little old Aaron mean more than industry recognized experts. Nope. (My word isn't invalid either. I just recognize that I'm not the god of war.)

And way to ignore point # 5 entirely and instead continue to prove my point. I might even agree with you in that I don't like power stroking the 92fs more than I have to, (one of the reasons I stopped using the gun) but I recognize the technique's legitimacy and that there are real world reasons why it's better to use the caveman-gross-muscle techniques under stress (people seriously underestimate how cave manish they'll become in a fight)... especially when there are other times you'll have to power stroke it anyway so you might as well build consistency.
    Then again I've actually been under that stress, so I see the point the apologists for that technique are making. Others may not choose that technique, but that doesn't make people who do use it stupid.
    I don't know who you are, maybe you're an OK dude who doesn't understand how to be respectful on internet threads and doesn't realize he is just coming off like an uneducated teenager who is high on himself. However at this point your words and actions are showing you to be a Keyboard Kommando of the first order. Making the case for what you believe is the point of these conversations and helps the learning process. Calling everyone who disaggrees with you a dumb#$@ just makes you a close minded neanderthall. That mindset will doom you to stay stuck on your particular plateau of knowledge and skill. Please ditch that mindset if you want to continue to progress in life rather than be hamstrung by your own inertia.

Last edited:

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Give him a break Aaron. When I was a 26 year old cop, I thought I knew everything too.

You're right cedartop. I was a little too harsh. My apologies.

But what's more loving? Allowing people to continue unacceptable behavior? Or giving them an opportunity for learning in the relative ananimoty of a gun owner's forum before their mindset costs them in real life?

Edit: I guess I don't count 26 as being too young to learn.

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    You're right cedar. I was a little too harsh. My apologies.

But what's more loving? Allowing people to continue unacceptable behavior? Or giving them an opportunity for learning in the relative ananimoty of a gun owner's forum before their mindset costs them in real life?
    That point is often lost on those with less/no training OR experience in dangerous situations. :twocents:

Top Bottom