• Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I've read on various boards of reloading the 7.62x54R with Trail Boss to make a reduced load.

I'd like to try this as I usually use 335. I like the 335 load, but wouldn't mind keeping a few reduced loads around for novice shooters.

I cannot find official reloading data, though. Can anyone help?

Thank you,

Josh

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    You literally cannot overpressure trailboss in a rifle cartridge. Last documentation i saw said to mark where the bottom of your bullet seats, fill the cartridge to that line, and then use 70% of that charge to start.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    IIWY, I'd contact Hogdon/IMR's technical help people directly for advice. It's my understanding that Trail Boss was developed and formulated primarily for loading BP-era cartridges using plain lead projectiles. Personally, before I started brewing gallery-type rifle loads, especially with jacketed bullets, I'd want to be aware of any possible compatability issues first. YMMV, but it makes sense to me that there may well be good reasons why Hogdon doesn't publish data for Trail boss and the 7.62x54R.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Honestly - it's as simple as I said before. These aren't "gallery" or "cowboy" loads. They're legit reduced rifle loads for use with lead OR jacketed bullets. A quick google will give you this:

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Just if the powder is safe to use in the 30-06 or .308, it's certainly safe to use in the 7.62x54r. They recommend working up loads back to the calculated max for accuracy - not for safety.

kingstrider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    You literally cannot overpressure trailboss in a rifle cartridge. Last documentation i saw said to mark where the bottom of your bullet seats, fill the cartridge to that line, and then use 70% of that charge to start.

This is pretty much right off the Hogdon/IMR website and I've done the same for .308 Marlin Express. Great powder..

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Agreed, I use it for subsonic loads for my suppressed .308 and even .223 for fun. You can't cram enough powder into a case to reach dangerous pressure levels. Only drawback is that it's expensive. The smaller (12oz?) cans are about the same price as a pound of other powders.

Doug K

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    It is a great powder - just remember to do your R&D tests when you're loading for a suppressor. Bullets that are underpowered can spin unpredictably out of the barrel and can destroy suppressors.

Test your loads at 5ft, 25ft and 50ft and look for keyholing. If it's not doing that, then you're probably good to go.

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Trail Boss is a no brainer as long as you follow the load % recommendations. I use Trail Boss for all my reduced loadings without a problem. (70% rule works fine for "ANY" caliber)

Below I use Trail Boss for reduced loads for plinking and fire forming my .303 British cases with pistol bullets. Trail Boss is a bulky power expressly designed to almost fill the case to capacity instead of using "much" smaller loads of pistol or shotgun power.
    (you can't double charge the case and wreck your rifle) ;)

IMGP4691.jpg

Top Bottom