Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Mishawaka
    I just started reloading a short time ago. I've had some good results
    so far with my early reloads. However like most who are new at this, I
    made a mistake on a small batch of 9MM that I just reloaded and I need to
    take them apart with my bullet puller and redo them.

I know I can reuse the primed cases and probably the bullets, but what about
    the powder that I recover? Is it safe to reuse the powder or should I consider it
    contaminated and just get rid of it.

I hate to waste stuff but I am more interested in being safe than saving money.

If it is perfectly safe to reuse it, then I'll reuse it but if there is a doubt
    I'd rather pitch it. Anyone here have experience with this? Thanks.

jlm223

Aim Small Miss Small
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Muncie
    I have reused powder after pulling the bullet some 44 Mag. & 30-06 seen no reason to discard the powder, but I am no expert on reloading. :twocents:

MeltonLaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Downtown Indy
    I will concur with the previous posts in that there is no harm in reusing the powder. Now I will caution to avoid accidental mixing of powders. Myself, I'll wait until I have several mistakes before pulling the bullets. This causes me to have several different calibers, both rifle and pistol, to bull at once. Thus there will be different powders. With my rcbs pow-r-puller it seems that I can never quite get all of the powder out of the internal catch tube. This would seem like an accident waiting to happen by mixing the powders together.

rlynch25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    South East Indy
    Like several others stated - no problem. I've reused powder several times with no issues. Just keep your work area organized and clean while doing this and you should be fine.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I will concur with the previous posts in that there is no harm in reusing the powder. Now I will caution to avoid accidental mixing of powders. Myself, I'll wait until I have several mistakes before pulling the bullets. This causes me to have several different calibers, both rifle and pistol, to bull at once. Thus there will be different powders. With my rcbs pow-r-puller it seems that I can never quite get all of the powder out of the internal catch tube. This would seem like an accident waiting to happen by mixing the powders together.

While it's a bad idea to mix different powders, unless you are just running your rounds stupid hot, a few flakes of a different powder mixed in won't be an issue.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If you're absolutely positively sure that you know what powder is in those cases, then yes, it'll be fine.

Counselor1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    From my experience, I agree with the above post. Just don't mix powders and you should be fine. You clean the brass before reloading right? If so, I dont see how it would be a problem. I understand the science lab principles of not returning a poured substance back to the container, but wouldn't think it would apply here.

Top Bottom