• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frazier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    I would like to get my hands on a speer, or any other "gently used" manual. Anyone know where that could be? ( p.s. cheap would go a long way too!!!!)

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    amazon.com

I just got a reloading set up for christmas and hodgdon.com has a virtual load manual online. Not sure if other powder companies offer the same.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    amazon.com

I just got a reloading set up for christmas and hodgdon.com has a virtual load manual online. Not sure if other powder companies offer the same.
    ^^^+1 Hodgdon.com has: Hodgdon, Win., and IMR powder data listings.
    The best thing about on line data is that it is updated at real time speed.
    Accurate Arms also has on line powder data.:D

aetucker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    pick up some "complete reloading manuals". they include all of the data from most of the major manuals for the specific caliber that you are reloading.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Lyman here, too. Check through gun shows...you can pick them up for next to nothing lots of times. The data info doesn't change...only new stuff is added. So the info is accurate even in older ones.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    :+1:For Lymans, especially if you are using cast lead boolits, this my personal favorite. I also recomend having 2 more manuals or online data sources on hand for reference. Your first cross reference for your favorite data source, should be the bullet manufacturers data if avaliable, and the second should be the powder manufacturers data, which is usually available on line for free. Generally I try to use at least 3 reference sources if possible.

Last edited:

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Lyman here, too. Check through gun shows...you can pick them up for next to nothing lots of times. The data info doesn't change...only new stuff is added. So the info is accurate even in older ones.

Hate to say this Jet, but this isn't really an accurate statement, if you go back over several editions of the manual, you can find major changes to some of the data. Some are the result of better testing processes, and others by changes to the propellent by the manufacturers. This is also one of the reasons data varies from source to source. Just like most people don't realize that Lee did very little testing for his manual, and it is mostly data from other sources, compiled into one reference book.
    New powders, really need the newer manuals. Old antique powders need data published as close as possible to the time period during which it was manufactured.

Last edited:

rugernut65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Vermillion county
    i personally use the imr.hodgen reloading site ive got all sorts of manuals and hve had the best results off of the web site backed up by the lyman which has a large varity of loads try ebay bought 3-4 for less than $10 including shipping

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    [/COLOR][/B]

Hate to say this Jet, but this isn't really an accurate statement, if you go back over several editions of the manual, you can find major changes to some of the data. Some are the result of better testing processes, and others by changes to the propellent by the manufacturers. This is also one of the reasons data varies from source to source. Just like most people don't realize that Lee did very little testing for his manual, and it is mostly data from other sources, compiled into one reference book.
    New powders, really need the newer manuals. Old antique powders needs data published as close as possible to the time period during which it was manufactured.

Then I stand corrected. I should have said "with the specific things *I* looked for from manual to manual, there were no changes whatsoever."

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    [/color][/b]

New powders, really need the newer manuals. Old antique powders needs data published as close as possible to the time period during which it was manufactured.

The Speer manual would be another example thru the years. I still have the Speer # 10 when I first started loading. If I compare it to a more recent edition, I can really see the reduction in what they recommend in some calibers such as .44 and .357 mag in some powders... Also, Speer has changed when they recommend the use of a magnum primer for 2400 in a few calibers.

When talking to them, they were very insistent that is has to do with changes in testing, not due to possible liability reasons. Back in the 70's and 80's, their data was within the 43,500 CUP... Now days, their data stays under 36,000 PSI.... (2) different methods of testing.

I also suspect like said earlier... The fact that some powder manufactures make changes thru the years also.... We all know how Alliant has really hit a home run with their " New, cleaner burning " Unique...

Like mentioned above, just another reason to date when you purchase your powder/primers... Also, if you have a supply of older powder, keep those older manuals...

Top Bottom