• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dodgehunter84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    I'm wanting to reload for my Ruger super blackhawk .44 mag and are wanting some suggestions on what powder, how much to use and bullet weight and style.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    A lot to ask for..

You may not know, but your short post is a lot to ask for..
    Check out a few load manuals, load data sheets, and decide for yourself.

hodgdon data is a good start for powder selection for the bullet weights that you desire.

If you want plinking rounds, a cast bullet loaded light will work just fine..If you want to bust a bear, you may want a 300gr. JSP???

It all depends on what you want your loads for??? Bill.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    A nice thing about the .44 mag. (and .357 mag.) is it can be loaded down to pip-squeak levels and up to flame thrower!

One or two or three reloading manuals will give some good information.

Among the "magnum" powders, W-W 296 (H110) and 2400 have been time-proven performers. However, do not use 296 or H110 for low-power loads. They are designed for filling cases, and lower levels can result in detonation.

For low-power loads, there are many options, including: Bullseye, Trail Boss, Unique, TiteGroup, among others.

Slim400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    INDIANAPOLIS SS IN
    I would have to agree to cover reloading manual there are several available online for manufacturersbut I find the best one to be the spear manual indeed Lyman 48th edition or maybe 49 I forget which one is current publication either way if you intend to reload this is what you need you will find if you look at your cartridge and then look for other cartridges that you may load in the future that there are some generalizations being that some powers work well in lots of different cartridges:twocents:

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I'm wanting to reload for my Ruger super blackhawk .44 mag and are wanting some suggestions on what powder, how much to use and bullet weight and style.
    1. Welcome to ingo.
    2. Get a manual and read it
    3. Use the search function and see what we've had to say about it for the last few years - plenty of threads.
    4. I always liked 2400 in the .44 mag.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    2400, IMR4227, or Unique work for me. Unique's a little dirty. 240 grain or 220 grain copper plated bullets are priced fair. I keep my powder charge low as I use my reloads for target shooting. As stated in earlier posts. Study a few up to date reloading manuals.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    LoadBooks USA..

LoadBooks USA is another one that I use. It has all of the popular bullet mfgs. and all of the popular power mfgs. listed, with a great selection of loads.
    These are mostly re-prints from their big books that are all in one handy booklet. They are very good for someone just loading a few calibers.

Midwayusa has them listed for $6.99 and they are available in a lot of sporting goods stores.

Just another option..Bill.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Elmer Keith liked 2400. If it was good enough for him, it's good enough for me. I like 240 gr. bullets. I like either a hard cast semi-wadcutter with gas check or JSP or JHP. Hornady are fine.

Travlin Man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    .44 loading

Besides all the previously mentioned references to loading manuals, which you should read and follow, I have been using one load in my Super Blackhawks for about 30 years now that works for me. If you use it, start 10% lower on the powder charge and work up.

Winchester cases, CCI Magnum pistol primers, 23 grains of 2400 and a Speer 200gr. hollow point bullet seated to the canula and crimped. This is a nice, flat-shooting round with enough power for deer but tame enough for a long day of target shooting or plinking.

Start with 20 grains of powder and see how it goes, then work up a half grain at a time, checking for pressure problems like difficult extraction, protruding primers or case separation.

Good luck!

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    As others have said, it all depends on what you are looking for. My pet load is not too different from travelin man, only I use H110 instead of 2400. It is anything but tame, and will isnt something I would suggest for casual target shooting. The load I worked up for my wife is a 240gr LSWC, over Universal Clays, and it is still a respectable load without being obnoxious to shoot for any length of time. If you are looking for a real *****cat load that is economical, try the same 240gr LSWC, and use Trailboss. It is clean burning, low power, and muzzle blast is almost non-existent.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Always use data from someone established in the business. I just worked a .44 load up today for a 7-1/2 inch Super Redhawk. 22.0 Gr of Accurate number 9 powder with a 200 grain Hornady XTP, straight out of their free online loading data. That spot grouped like target loads but it is strong enough to let you know that you have some serious power behind that bullet. One grain less made a bigger group, as did .7 grains more. I have successfully used the other powders mentioned above, but AA#9 keeps ending up my first choice for Magnum Cartridges.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I like to burn WW296.
    Lots of it :)

Probably my most often used load:

31.5gr WW296 and a 180 JHP.

In a 7.5" it'll give some fun concussion :)

Loading manuals- new ones seem pretty wimpy compared to the older ones ;)

Top Bottom