• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    I have alot of brass from my .40 cal glock and i was interested in reloading them.. how many times should the brass be re-used? and from my understanding i can use my 10mm reloading for the .40 cal.. is this correct?

khickey3492

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Kokomo
    IMO, because of the higher pressures involved in the .40 S&W, I generally inspect it more carefully after the first 2-3 reloads. Paying particular attention to swelling at the base, as well as the normal cracks, bulges, etc.

As for using your 10mm setup for loading the .40, my Dillon dies are specifically marked 10mm/40S&W, so I use them for both!

My $0.02 and as always YMMV!

Regards,
    Kevin

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    You'll have to swap out the primer system to small pistol primers. The dies can be used, but you'll have to adjust for the shorter OAL.

40's tend to run a bit higher pressure, and the "Glock Belly" on 40 brass will shorten it's life compared to other cartridges. The brass will fatigue over time, and you don't have a fully supported chamber. Loading them up to full power more than 4-5 times is asking for a KB. If you load them down to target powder puff levels, you'll get more life out of them.

You've probably hear about Glock Kabooms. In almost every case, it's a reload that caused it. Either a double charge or fatigued brass that gave out at the unsupported point. If you see the "Glock Belly" or worse yet, the Glock smile, back off on the charge.

smith52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Kosciusko County
    Lee makes a die to push .40 brass through to remove the bulge caused by unsupported barrels. There are some other manufacturers that make these type of dies as well. By removing the bulge you well improve chambering and lengthen the life of your brass.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've read all the stories about how hard 40 is to reload and the brass problems, I've found that the standard precautions that you take with all reloading are working for me, I've loaded for glocks and several other 40's, the EAA witness is supposed to be the picky brat of the 40's but good reloads with brass without cracks and chips work fine, Dents work out without issues, I also reload my loads at mid level, I've found mid level loads hit close enough to defense loads to get all my training done. Why beat up your gun when you don't need to,

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Unless you are loading some really stiff loads (e.g. 180 gr bullets at 1000+ fps), you should get 5+ loadings out of your brass.

I'd be careful when using your 10mm load in the 40. Think about it. You're putting the same combo in a smaller container. Pressure is going to be higher. Depending on the powder, I'd back off 0.5 gr or so and take a look at pressure signs and velocities.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I'd be careful when using your 10mm load in the 40. Think about it. You're putting the same combo in a smaller container. Pressure is going to be higher. Depending on the powder, I'd back off 0.5 gr or so and take a look at pressure signs and velocities

I was reading his question as "is it OK to use 10mm dies for reloading .40SW?"
    For my Dillon press, the answer to this is certainly yes. You will have to tweak where you set your sizer die and your bullet seating depth, obviously, but the actual dies will work.
    As far as the data, no, absolutely I would not try to use 10mm load data in a 40SW case!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Top Bottom