• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    The main thing people forget when they compare the cost of cheap factory ammo and quality reloads, is that those are NOT apples-to-apples. My reloads are consistently better than the cheap, white box stuff guys use for comparison, when looking at the cost of loading your own.

Go out and find QUALITY factory ammo and compare to the cost of loading quality rounds yourself. You'll quickly realize that you do save a good bit of money, even on the common 9mm, 223, 308 rounds. Take a step into reloading for wildcats or obsolete rounds, and you save a BUNDLE!

This is a great point. OUR ammo is as good as if not better than anything anyone makes in a factory. Why? Because the factory is bad? No. Because the guy that made that ammo was coming off of a 3 day binge, fought with his wife/significant other all morning before going to work and he is trying to figure out the meaning of life and is only hoping beer thirty comes quick today? No.

It is because it is a factory. They make their munitions to fit everyone's firearm. You have the ability to make custom ammo for YOUR firearms! The most accurate load, the most accurate bullet, the most accurate brass, the best powder, the perfect OAL and on and on it can go.

THAT'S THE REASON!

Now, another case in point is that there is NOTHING in shooting sports/hunting than doing everything yourself, as much as practical, and coming out on top. If that is the PPC or ISPA or the blah blah blah competition down the street or the successful deer hunting trip, NOTHING does it like shooting your firearm with your boutique ammo.

kruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Reloading is much cheaper depending on the caliber. 9mm and 223 still suck as for the use of plain o'l plinking. But then if it wasn't cheaper the reload then those of us that are loading it comercially would be doing something else. By all means reload for the fun and enjoyment. Do not let shipping scare you. Some dealers hike their prices so high that it is no longer feasible to reload at thier prices. Do not fall for the $200 8lb keg. When buying on line always by powder and primers at the same time and grab a buddy that the best way to get past the shipping issues.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    2 yrs ago when my son was shooting USPSA with me every Sunday. We went through over 26,000 rds
    My cost to reload casting my own bullets was $1300.00 $.05 each
    compared to 40 s&w WWB 100rd packs $7800.00 $.30 each
    Did I see my checking balance increase? No but I was able to spend more time at the range with my son... (Priceless)
    Yes we ratted brass and bought componets in bulk. If you get enough buddies together and put a order for 70,000 to 80,000 primers you can get them bought for $26.00 per 1000. Same goes for powder they can ship 4 8lb jugs in one box.
    You can save money on both of these by getting them from local dealers as well buying the bigger amount. Indiana Gun club Seems to have good prices. From what I hear Andrew does as well.
    And I shopped around and traded for wheel weights for casting. This will be where you save alot approx 5-6 cents per round.
    But casting is another hobby in itself.
    As with any hobby your gonna spend money but you have to save where you can.

Last edited:

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Reloading is cheaper and always has been.
    The pros.
    You can tailor the ammo to your gun and to what you are shooting. You can have a major power factor load and a minor power factor load for the same gun. Like several have mentioned it is hard to compare your custom reload to a box of factory loaded ammo because it is just that a custom load for you. Reloading also adds to the overall satisfaction of the shooting experience it completes the cycle. Shoot reload shoot reload you get the picture and is perfectly safe to do.

The cons
    Well it does take some investment to get started and there is a learning curve that goes with it. There are several guys around here that will be more than glad to help you out. You can figure it will cost you about what another gun will cost you but unlike a firearm this will slowly pay you back.

So outside of the extra start up cost there really is no con to it. I have had my Dillon 550 for years now since the mid 1980's and my RCBS single stage since the mid 1970's both still serve me well. It will save you money on the per round cost but you will shoot more because it will be more enjoyable to shoot your own fodder.
    Good luck and have fun

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    9mm 124 gr JHP @ 12 cents each (compare @ 30 cents each).
    .308 various at 28 cents each (compare at 50 cents each).

I could not afford to shoot if I didn't reload. There was a learning curve, but I read A LOT before I spent a penny. Lurked forums, googled, joined INGO. Then got out the cash. It really helped to cut down on the "noise" to know what I wanted before buying, and didn't rush into it. Of all the reloading tools and components I bought I have never sold any of it, since I only got what I knew I would use. Sometimes the kids help (with supervision) - they help burn it up, so they help make it.

Top Bottom