• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I generally look at stuff right at $1,000 or under.

While hard to find (and usually over that $1,000 in original form) I agree with a couple nationally known trainers the M1 Carbine is underrated in that capacity. Auto ORd has a reproduction if you can find oneAs far as current east to fine the Ruger PC Carbine or Mini 14 and about any Marlin or Henry rifle as thier solid receiver makes mounting sight of choice easy.

Then of course any shotgun like the Beretta 300 Patrol or new Remington 870’s and any variety of Mossberg

However if folks want to out in the time to get the manual of arms and offset down a standard AR of some sort makes since. Like everything it 100% depends on the persons real skills over with specific system over what’s cool and what the industry and everyone else thinks they should have!

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I generally look at stuff right at $1,000 or under.

While hard to find (and usually over that $1,000 in original form) I agree with a couple nationally known trainers the M1 Carbine is underrated in that capacity. Auto ORd has a reproduction if you can find oneAs far as current east to fine the Ruger PC Carbine or Mini 14 and about any Marlin or Henry rifle as thier solid receiver makes mounting sight of choice easy.

Then of course any shotgun like the Beretta 300 Patrol or new Remington 870’s and any variety of Mossberg

However if folks want to out in the time to get the manual of arms and offset down a standard AR of some sort makes since. Like everything it 100% depends on the persons real skills over with specific system over what’s cool and what the industry and everyone else thinks they should have!
    While the ones you listed are choices in the realm of home defense long guns some are better choices than others when thinking about likely possibilities of what weapon an intruder or intruders would use. Red dot optics at best on any long gun will always be a minimum of 1" or 1.25" over bore. Therefore theres always going to be a small compensation of POA/POI to be made. The AR gives you the best opportunity of at least being on equal grounds of the attacker or attackers. That's what I'm looking for. Only argument I can make against a shotty is the limited capacity and slow reload speed. Lever guns to me aren't on the radar. They're expensive and have limited capacity. YMMV

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    While the ones you listed are choices in the realm of home defense long guns some are better choices than others when thinking about likely possibilities of what weapon an intruder or intruders would use. Red dot optics at best on any long gun will always be a minimum of 1" or 1.25" over bore. Therefore theres always going to be a small compensation of POA/POI to be made. The AR gives you the best opportunity of at least being on equal grounds of the attacker or attackers. That's what I'm looking for. Only argument I can make against a shotty is the limited capacity and slow reload speed. Lever guns to me aren't on the radar. They're expensive and have limited capacity. YMMV
    Capacity is overrated in a home defensive (and a lot of other cases). There’s not a whole lot of documented cases of a civilian shooting needing a reload or even getting one successfully conducted.
    Scores of video shows after the first round the peeps scatter. When they don’t it’s usually an extreme CQB where the defender isn’t prepared for and missed. However facing an opponent that motivates and trained is very rare. Unless your the target of some cartel stuff or say a Hamas style attack Israel saw which despite the concern is low on the bar here just yet.

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I use 100 yard zero on AR,s 36 yard is good as well IMO. I use an Eotech it gives you fast target acquisition.

At 40 ft I am using a Mossburg 500 with a stream light it is the cool version with the heat shield and 8 shots. IME it's really hard to shoot a motived moving target.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Thanks for the responses everyone.
    It's kind of a two part deal to be honest.
    I'm considering putting one on an AR in 5.56 that's primarily for home defense. I think it's biggest advantage would be in low light conditions.
    I'm looking at the Vortex Strikefire 2, with the cowitnesss mount.

Likewise, my dad has expressed interest in one for a HD shotgun since he doesn't see as well as he used to close up. Even in day light he sometimes has trouble seeing black sights on a pistol.

Just trying to educate myself before I jump in

Handgun 25 yards

Groupings for 9mm in article are accurate based off some quick range testing on my part, 25 yard zero provided the best groupings at all pistol ranges with a RDS.

For an AR, I personally run an LPVO on top zeroed at 100 yards , 1.5 inch offset at 25 yards , however my offset RMR is zeroed for 25 yards for close in work so it's almost irrelevant.

C0CiA9O.jpg

Shotgun Holosun or EO-Tech and zero the doughnut of death on your preferred buckshot load at 25 yards

Rapter

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2023
    Carmel
    I have very little experience with any kind of red dot type of optic. I can see where they can certainly be useful on a weapon used for home defense.
    My question is, at what yardage should it be zeroed in at? Also, if you zero it at say 50yds will even be close to accurate on closer yardage such as a 25yd shot?
    it's a common practice to zero your red dot at 25 yards. This is a versatile distance that allows you to maintain accuracy for typical home-defense engagement ranges. At this setting, you should still be reasonably accurate at closer distances, such as 25 yards, but remember, your point of impact might be slightly lower or higher due to the trajectory of the round. Keep in mind that individual optics and ammunition may vary, so it's essential to test your specific setup to ensure the accuracy you need for your intended use.

Top Bottom