Recommendations for good daily carry pocket knife?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Update: 2 days ago I bought a Emerson Mini Commander from slow1911 on the forum. After a couple PMs about them back and forth and some reading, I decided that was the one my dad could use for years to come. I cant wait to get it in my hands cause then I may have to get him another one! ;)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Update: 2 days ago I bought a Emerson Mini Commander from slow1911 on the forum. After a couple PMs about them back and forth and some reading, I decided that was the one my dad could use for years to come. I cant wait to get it in my hands cause then I may have to get him another one! ;)

Clearly you both love and like your dad!

Need an "uncle rhino"? :D

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i carry one on of those folding razor knives you get at lowes and love it its got replacable blades so it takes 2 seconds and your knife is litterally razor sharp again i also carry a leatherman daily because i constantly need pliers or wire cutters or screwdriver

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Clearly you both love and like your dad!

Need an "uncle rhino"? :D

Yup!! Gave him the knife today and he was impressed. :rockwoot: That thing has an edge on it like Ive never seen on another knife. Im probably going to have to get one for myself here very soon! :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yup!! Gave him the knife today and he was impressed. :rockwoot: That thing has an edge on it like Ive never seen on another knife. Im probably going to have to get one for myself here very soon! :)

Hey, you should ask Coach about the keen edge on his mini Commander.

:D

Wagswook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    My Daily Carry is a Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto Half Serration.

csstoreonline_2034_22142303

Last edited:

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    i carry one on of those folding razor knives you get at lowes and love it its got replacable blades so it takes 2 seconds and your knife is litterally razor sharp again i also carry a leatherman daily because i constantly need pliers or wire cutters or screwdriver

42769vette, I worked in MD and now live in PA and I know that at least in MD it is illegal to carry any kind of a razor/box cutter unless you on your way to or from work.

I found out that IN has some interesting laws when I did the Indy 1500 show and asked some Indy officers about the polymer Jaw Jacker knuckledusters I sell and found out that they are not prohibited.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    My Daily Carry is a Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto Half Serration.

csstoreonline_2034_22142303

How do you like that knife? I've seen Cold Steel knives at the 1500 and hadn't really heard of them before that, are they pretty good knives? I primarily carry between a CRKT M16-13SF and a M16-14SFI, I've had pretty good luck with those two.

Crkt_knives_folding_m16_special_forces_m16_13sf_m16_14sf.jpg

The smaller one in the middle I carry a lot. Good size, nice self defense features.

Psy_6att_6ica_6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    idaho
    i know its not a real classy knife, but i have always had an old timer pocket knife. my grandpa had the same. in fact i carry and use the one that he had before he died. its a great knife and ive never had a problem with any of them.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I carry a Spyderco Police with the stainless handle. Kinda heavy, but carries nice and thin and is big enough for any use. If you want a lighter handle they make it in Zytel as well.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Ok this my earn me some funny looks.... I don't see the need for a battle knife or a tactiacl knife for day to day life. And they could be next to usuless in a situation where you need pliers or a screw-driver or other functions not offered by a knife ment for self defence or just killing things.

SO! I recomend something practical! Like a swiss army knife or even better a good multi tool. I currently carry (as of X-mass) a Leatherman Juice S2... Its extremely usefull and seems to be made very tough. Its NOT much bigger than my swiss army knife. I plan on buying a larger multi tool for my truck. (I already keep an AK boyonet beside my seat)

And spend atleast 30$ anything cheaper is usually a P.O.S.

I carry an XD so why do I need a battle knife?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    How do you like that knife? I've seen Cold Steel knives at the 1500 and hadn't really heard of them before that, are they pretty good knives?

Cold Steel has been around since the 1980s and has been a big name in the cutlery industry almost since they started. They have some excellent products, and some silly products, and some products that are good values because of very low price points.

Perhaps their best known models are the Voyager series. They're essentially Cold Steel's version of the Spyderco Endura and Delica, but they have some distinct advantages. The primary of which is that they blades are very wide with a high grind which allows for a very thin edge while not sacrificing strength. That makes them superb slicing tools. Heat treatment is excellent, and they've always been made of good, mid-range stainless steels (initially AUS-8A, and currently VG-1).

Cold Steel took a big hit (in my opinion) when Camillus when out of business. All of their "Carbon V" knives were made under contract by Camillus across the board they were excellent tools. The Trailmaster Bowie, Recon Bowie, SRK, Master Hunter, and others were well respected and gave excellent service.

Again, not all of their products are created equal. You have to be an educated consumer, read the specs, and make your decisions if you want to get exactly what you want.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I believe that martial training should include open hand combative, sticks, knives and firearms. The knife is just part of a layered defense.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Ok this my earn me some funny looks.... I don't see the need for a battle knife or a tactiacl knife for day to day life. And they could be next to usuless in a situation where you need pliers or a screw-driver or other functions not offered by a knife ment for self defence or just killing things.

SO! I recomend something practical! Like a swiss army knife or even better a good multi tool. I currently carry (as of X-mass) a Leatherman Juice S2... Its extremely usefull and seems to be made very tough. Its NOT much bigger than my swiss army knife. I plan on buying a larger multi tool for my truck. (I already keep an AK boyonet beside my seat)

And spend atleast 30$ anything cheaper is usually a P.O.S.

I carry an XD so why do I need a battle knife?

Ditto, Leatherman Wave for me.

My Gotta Have it's for multi too:
    Blade
    Pliers
    Saw
    File
    Straight screw driver
    Philips screw driver

In case Leatherman is reading this, "Why the heck doesn't the Wave file have a HOOK SHARPENER ON THE FINE FILE SIDE?

That's about the only improvement I can think of on that tool. For me any way.

Top Bottom