Recommendations for good daily carry pocket knife?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Im looking for some recommendations for a good daily carry pocket knife. Nothing spectacular, just something small that will hold an edge for a long time, and that wont have any issues. Im thinking of this for me, but also for my pops as a christmas gift. He carries a pocket knife all the time, but I know the one he currently has is about as worn out as you can get, and wont hold an edge for any length of time.

Suggestions?

thanks,
    clay

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Price range??

For a minimal costing knife, I like Spyderco. The basic models are going to be under $50 and do a great job.

I also like Benchmade, but I'm not a big fan of their budget line. Mid-to-high range stuff is good.

My dad really likes his Kershaw knives, though. Carries a Chive, I think, in black chrome daily, and has a Blackout in his jacket pocket (he's the older type that wears a jacket all the time, even on the boat in the summer)

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I carry a Spyderco Tenacious and so does my son. Nice balance between quality and price. It isn't so expensive that you are afraid to use it to open a box.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I would say $100 -> $200 maybe. Somewhere in the ball park. Less is fine, more, well, if it were really cool! ;)

edit: and maybe something with assisted opening.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have a SOG Flash that I like quite a bit too. My son prefers the SOG Twitch. Those two knives assist you in getting them deployed, which is cool.

I guess you are going to meet my son a week from Saturday at the Mosin shoot. Ask him to whip it out on you. His Spyderco Tenacious, that is.

By the way, I've received excellent service from New Graham Knives. I've also received very poor service from The Blade Shop, so beware.

nutnfancy is a guy who reviews lots of knives on YouTube. You might want to check him out. I've learned a lot about knives from those videos. He does run off at the mouth a bit, though. He has a series on everyday carry (EDC) knives.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Are you looking for a working knife, or a self-defense knife? Some of the Spyderco line will do double duty, and the Emerson lines are mostly fighting/combat/defensive style knives. Benchmade makes some good knives as well. A Buck 110 is a good all-around knife for cheap as well.

pdg45acp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Kokomo
    I stopped looking for the best carry knife when I got this Spiderco.

Small_Mdl_60.jpg

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Are you looking for a working knife, or a self-defense knife? Some of the Spyderco line will do double duty, and the Emerson lines are mostly fighting/combat/defensive style knives. Benchmade makes some good knives as well. A Buck 110 is a good all-around knife for cheap as well.

working knife typically.

as for size, the current knife he has is about 6" open. So somewhere in the 6 ->8" range would be good.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I carry a Swiss army knife 24/7 Ever since I was a child and watched McGyver. And you will never realize how usefull they are till you own one. I use mine atleast every other day. And with all my firearms its always great to have an all purpose tool on call.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If edge holding is of concern, you're not going to find anything under $50 along the lines of what the others have mentioned that will please you, with the possible exception of the Spyderco Native version with the CPM S30V blade.

If I were you, I'd go with an actual pocket knife (slip joint) and not a locking folder. You'll have the best luck in terms of actual cutting and edge holding if you get something with carbon steel (like 1095) or a low alloy steel like Case's "chrome vanadium" which is probably 1095 or something similar with a little chrome and vanadium added. I would look at 4" long (closed), Stockman pattern knives (three blades ... clip, spey, and sheepsfoot) from Case (look for one with "CV" in the model number) or Boker (look for "carbon steel") and you'll be happy. Another option if you can find one is an old (i.e. discontinued) Schrade Old Timer model 8OT, which was their 4" (closed) stockman pattern with carbon steel blades. It was one of the greatest all time bargains on the planet when Schrade was still in business (do not confuse this with current products marketed with the Schrade name because they are crap).

The Spyderco Tenacious that was recommended is one of the worst choices available for edge holding, although if you want to scrape paint with it, it will work. It is nicely designed and made, but the blades on many of them are crap. I was going to be nice and say "disappointing" because I have a lot of respect for Sal Glesser and Spyderco products, but the Tenacious is not a good knife. I realize a lot of people seem to be pleased with them, but mine sucked, as did those of many people on BladeForums.com who are somewhat more sophisticated consumers of knives than the average citizen. The steel itself is marginal (albeit probably the best available at the given price point in China), but the heat treatment is clearly inadequate on mine and many others, so the quality control of that aspect of the knife (i.e. the part that makes it a good cutting tool) just isn't there unless you get really lucky. Even then they're so-so performers, and would do much better if a better steel and heat treatment were used on all of them.

Im looking for some recommendations for a good daily carry pocket knife. Nothing spectacular, just something small that will hold an edge for a long time, and that wont have any issues. Im thinking of this for me, but also for my pops as a christmas gift. He carries a pocket knife all the time, but I know the one he currently has is about as worn out as you can get, and wont hold an edge for any length of time.

Suggestions?

thanks,
    clay

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Since you eloquently sling mud, what do you have to say about Kershaw knives, Rhino?

It seems like 10 or so years ago they were held in really high esteem. 3 or 4 years ago my buddy and I were at Smokey Mountain knife works, and each bought one. Sadly I don't remember the model, but the steel turned out to be junk. Would barely take and edge and wouldn't keep what it did take.

I have been a bit reserved about crapping on the Kershaw line, even though I know 4 different people who've had bad luck. I know they are more popular because of their slim design, plus you can get them at Walmart.

I'd have to hear some real salesmanship before I ever considered buying another Kershaw.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Since you eloquently sling mud, what do you have to say about Kershaw knives, Rhino?

First, let me say that my opinions about the Spyderco Tenacious do not in any way reflect on my overall opinion of Spyderco and their other products, which I hold in very high esteem. Part of the problem is that I had such high expectations since it bears the Spyderco name (instead of Byrd, which ia how the rest of the Chinese-produced knive are branded). It's a really nicely made knife and the blade design is superb. I favor thin (thickness), wide (top to bottom of blade), flat-ground blades and the Tenacious has that. Unfortunately after sharpening, it couldn't even open a single envelope without dulling the edge to point where it wouldn't slice paper or cardboard without difficulty. I thought it might just be my knife, but after discussing it on BladeForums.com, mine was certainly not unique.

Kershaws of today are really good knives. It's more about heat treatment than it is about the steel composition for the most part (there are exceptions).

There is nothing inherently wrong with 440A (although the 13C26 is probably a little better all else equal) and contrary to popular opinion, I would rate it above 440C for a knife blade. For decades 440C has had a reputation for being superior material for knives, mostly because it has a higher carbon content than 440A. The problem is that the iron carbides that form in 440C are too large/coarse to support a thin edge, so it essentially "crumbles" (for lack of a better word) if you try to sharpen knives the way I like with a really thin, keenly sharp edge. That's not the case with 440A, which you can sharpen nicely. 440C does had the advantage in wear resistance ("edge holding"), but the initial sharpness of an edge is more important to me than how long a "kind of sharp" knife will remain "kind of sharp." 440C is fine for more obtuse edges, but why?

Some of the designs that Kershaw has on the market now are really nice. Aesthetically, they're some of the best looking pieces I've seen, and the collaboration with designers like Ken Onion play a huge role in that.

I'd also say that their quality control is excellent now, with consistent tolerances, finishes, and most importantly heat treatments of the blades. At their price points, they're hard to beat.

Last edited:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    If he is wanting something in a small pocket folder you might want to look at Case or Old Timers, especially the Uncle Henry models. Maybe in a small cattleman model? Three very useful blades for everyday work. I carried one for years.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If he is wanting something in a small pocket folder you might want to look at Case or Old Timers, especially the Uncle Henry models. Maybe in a small cattleman model? Three very useful blades for everyday work. I carried one for years.

Those are excellent recommendations, but keep in mind that Schrade went out of business a few years ago. The company that now owns the name and all of the trademarks like Uncle Henry and Old Timer is not the same, and the stuff they sell is nowhere the same quality that was produced by the real Schrade in years past.

The model 8OT was simply one of the best knives ever made and you could get them for $20 from Wal*Mart and a bunch of other places. Sadly, they died with Schrade, although you could still find them on eBay.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Thanks, Rhino, for your insights. I'm no knife expert, for sure. I haven't used my Tenacious very hard. I'll keep an eye on how it goes.

I am interested in your opinion of the SOG Twitch II.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    For everyday carry My choice is the Victorinox Tinker. It may not look like much but it is the most useful thing you can carry. Cool tactical knives are great for cutting things. That's all. With a Swiss Army knife in your pocket you can TAKE THINGS APART. Mine has saved my butt and others people's for many years. Try tightening loose screws with a Spyderco or a Benchmade. Try getting a splinter out of your finger with one. Don't get me wrong, I own and carry and use all kinds of knives but I don't go out the door without a Victorinox. P.S. Rhino is absolutely correct about 1095 carbon steel. It's old school and it will rust but it will take an edge and hold it better than most stainless alloys.

Top Bottom