• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Is there anywhere around Indy to buy RC helicopters? I don't want to buy anything expensive. Maybe around the $80-$150 range to start. But don't want to buy anything that's crap either.

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    You will find a couple on Craigslist, now and then, but your best bet is to find a used/new one on rcuniverse.com. The heli's are small enough, so shipping is very reasonable.

If you are looking to build a new Trex style heli, then I would check out valuehobby.com. They sell the compatible version, for a very reasonable price. I have seen it fly, and it is very nice. However, with the electronics, you will have a couple hundred into it.

There is also a local site - indyrconline.com. There is not a lot of traffic there, but you could put out a WTB ad. There are a lot of heli flyers on that site.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    My GF has gotten both of mine from rcuniverse.com. She looked around for deep discounts and gotten ones that were clearancing out, originally in the $150-250 range for less than $60. I'm starting to become a good enough pilot to want a bigger/better one now that I'm less likely to crash first time up :D

blake2981

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenfield
    Big Boy Hobbies, around Post Rd and St Rd 67.

Xheli.com is good online, but seem to be out of stock right now on a lot of options. I have the mini 9098 and it is just as fun as a $80-$100 one.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    tagged for future reference. :ingo:

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin...

Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours....
    -------------------------------------------------------------

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If you're using an iPhone or have an iPod Touch these are supposed to be pretty cool: http://www.brookstone.com/ar-drone-quadricopter.html?his=2~46337~2~root_category%40kwd~iphone+helicopter&bkiid=searchResults|C4CategoryProdList1FDT|9319170

My Dad got one for Christmas. I haven't seen it yet but my Son played with it and said it was the easiest RC copter he's played with. It has cameras on it which are relayed to the screen of your device and it hovers automatically. A bit more money than you mentioned but might be worth a look.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I just got a Blade 4-channel helo upgrading from one of those $50 flea market ones. Took me a while to get it all trimmed up but now it's ready to go. I'm learning the basics and just trying to keep it in the air at this time so hopefully when spring arrives I will be able to fly more efficiently. Got mine from a dealer on ebay and saved a few dollars.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    $300 :wow: Can you imagine what something similar would have cost 10 years ago? $3000 + :spend:

If you're using an iPhone or have an iPod Touch these are supposed to be pretty cool: http://www.brookstone.com/ar-drone-quadricopter.html?his=2~46337~2~root_category%40kwd~iphone+helicopter&bkiid=searchResults|C4CategoryProdList1FDT|9319170

My Dad got one for Christmas. I haven't seen it yet but my Son played with it and said it was the easiest RC copter he's played with. It has cameras on it which are relayed to the screen of your device and it hovers automatically. A bit more money than you mentioned but might be worth a look.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    $300 :wow: Can you imagine what something similar would have cost 10 years ago? $3000 + :spend:

It cracks me up that my 58 year old Father plays with it, it's completely out of character for him. My Step Mom asked me if I thought he would like it and I told her I thought it was too much money for something he would probably get bored with quickly. She then told me he had been playing with a cheaper RC copter she bought him for months now and fired it up almost daily. I told her to go for it and apparently he loves it.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I got an RC helicopter for Christmas from the inlaws... they bought it from some kiosk in the mall...

I just charged the batteries last night and plan to take her out for a spin today. Which also means that my helicopter will be destroyed today as well. I've had one before... and it didn't end well.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I got an RC helicopter for Christmas from the inlaws... they bought it from some kiosk in the mall...

I just charged the batteries last night and plan to take her out for a spin today. Which also means that my helicopter will be destroyed today as well. I've had one before... and it didn't end well.

They're much better now. Breakable things are easily replaced. I've gone through 4 rotor blades on my latest :D

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    They're much better now. Breakable things are easily replaced. I've gone through 4 rotor blades on my latest :D

Yeah, but this thing is some crap that is even worse than the normal :poop: coming from China. The box is plain and the english on it is hilarious!

There isn't even a brand name at all.

I think the helo will probably be a one and done!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Yeah, but this thing is some crap that is even worse than the normal :poop: coming from China. The box is plain and the english on it is hilarious!

There isn't even a brand name at all.

I think the helo will probably be a one and done!

The instructions on my latest one seemed to be very adamant that I NOT do something or total destruction of the planet might result. Unfortunately I can't make out exactly what I am not supposed to do either from the writing OR the pictogram :dunno: So if the world ends suddenly this weekend, y'all have my apologies.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    The instructions on my latest one seemed to be very adamant that I NOT do something or total destruction of the planet might result. Unfortunately I can't make out exactly what I am not supposed to do either from the writing OR the pictogram :dunno: So if the world ends suddenly this weekend, y'all have my apologies.

:lmfao:

I will be ready...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    A good friend of mine bought a nice RC copter last year. I think he paid around $150 for it. He let it get up too high on it's maiden voyage and the wind took it over the woods and river west of his apartment. Didn't take long and it was out of range of his transmitter and it went down never to be seen again.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    A good friend of mine bought a nice RC copter last year. I think he paid around $150 for it. He let it get up too high on it's maiden voyage and the wind took it over the woods and river west of his apartment. Didn't take long and it was out of range of his transmitter and it went down never to be seen again.

That happened to me with the first "real" RC airplane I had...

Except it wasn't a river... more like a highway with lots of cars. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom