• Status
    Please reply by conversation.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Exactly what ties do you think we have to him. Russ has been a good guy to me every time I've walked in the store. I don't work for him, and I don't have any family that does. He owes me nothing and I owe him nothing. We conduct business with each other and he's always treated me fairly. Becuase of my experience with Russ and teh guys, I'd have to hear his side of the story before giving yours any credibility. He's not the type of guy to jump on the internet two years later and start bad mouthing somebody.

Don't waste your time Teddy..... He's in another thread now dumping on Ranger without disclosing the full story....

Click here: Fort Wayne Gun Shows - INGunOwners

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Exactly what ties do you think we have to him. Russ has been a good guy to me every time I've walked in the store. I don't work for him, and I don't have any family that does. He owes me nothing and I owe him nothing. We conduct business with each other and he's always treated me fairly. Becuase of my experience with Russ and teh guys, I'd have to hear his side of the story before giving yours any credibility. He's not the type of guy to jump on the internet two years later and start bad mouthing somebody.

That would be one tie to them for you. If you had read the thread you would know why it's two years later. Don't you people in the NE part of the state have any reading comprehension. It's you in the NE keeping the thread alive. You all must be hardheaded like I am.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks

Here is an idea, have him PM me. The guy I dealt with is about 5'11" and 205 lbs. with black hair (slightly balding) in a military haircut. If we can make nice I'll spread the word and not bad mouth them anymore. A good business man would jump at the chance to make right and I'm offering to do that. If he is not a member he could PM under one of you people in the NE. I would like to resolve it. The question now is he?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I can't speak for another man, but my guess would be that he's over it and not on the internet talking about it. If you want to make nice or have a discussion with him man up and call him or stop by the store yourself. This isn't junior high and I'm not passing along notes between girls in class.

You started the thread, you can't really expect people not to comment about it. The people in NE IN do know Russ quite well and it should get some kind of a point across that so many people are backing him up. He's a reputable guy and he'd make right by you.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Here is an idea, have him PM me. The guy I dealt with is about 5'11" and 205 lbs. with black hair (slightly balding) in a military haircut. If we can make nice I'll spread the word and not bad mouth them anymore. A good business man would jump at the chance to make right and I'm offering to do that. If he is not a member he could PM under one of you people in the NE. I would like to resolve it. The question now is he?

I think I have a better idea.

You and Russ! ALLEN COUNTY WAR MEMORIAL COLISEUM! No disqualification, no time limit, falls count anywhere in the building! Two men enter, one man leaves!
    Might as well settle it this way because this whole big steaming pile is starting to sound like something out of the WWE anyway!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think I have a better idea.

You and Russ! ALLEN COUNTY WAR MEMORIAL COLISEUM! No disqualification, no time limit, falls count anywhere in the building! Two men enter, one man leaves!
    Might as well settle it this way because this whole big steaming pile is starting to sound like something out of the WWE anyway!

$20 on Russ.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If we can make nice I'll spread the word and not bad mouth them anymore. A good business man would jump at the chance to make right and I'm offering to do that. If he is not a member he could PM under one of you people in the NE. I would like to resolve it. The question now is he?

Your actions sure aren't consistent with someone wanting to resolve an issue...

Just how is Russ to make things right ? I have been accused of having reading comprehension issues, but if I got it all correct, you never paid Russ for his services.... You called him a thief for wanting to charge you, but you walked away not paying... Do I have this right or wrong ?

You need to contact Russ. Either at a show or here in town. I would bet you a beer he won't even remember this incidence and he's the one out the $.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Your actions sure aren't consistent with someone wanting to resolve an issue...

Just how is Russ to make things right ? I have been accused of having reading comprehension issues, but if I got it all correct, you never paid Russ for his services.... You called him a thief for wanting to charge you, but you walked away not paying... Do I have this right or wrong ?

You need to contact Russ. Either at a show or here in town. I would bet you a beer he won't even remember this incidence and he's the one out the $.

Exactly what service did he supply besides wasting my time? If you say "he ran the NISC background check" soooo. Do they charge you to run the NISC check? No? That point is now moot. Then to try and charge me $40.00 for it and he got the police involved and got bent out of shape. I have brought it up in three (3) posts that HE tried to jerk me (steal, hijack, coerce, rob, intimidate, threaten, extort, or whatever word floats your boat). You all do seem to like the same cool aid up there. He made my first gun show my last, but I did buy two pistols before him.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I know that in the Northeast corner many of you have ties to Ranger Supply (you can say you don't, but your actions speak louder than your words do).
    You hit the nail right on the head.
    About three years ago, I bought a needle applicator bottle of Break Free.
    Permanent ties. :rolleyes:

Do they charge you to run the NISC check?
    Most every FFL I've heard of charges for their time/effort/SERVICE when calling in a 4473. It's called a transfer fee.
    Get over yourself.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    You hit the nail right on the head.
    About three years ago, I bought a needle applicator bottle of Break Free.
    Permanent ties. :rolleyes:

Most every FFL I've heard of charges for their time/effort/SERVICE when calling in a 4473. It's called a transfer fee.
    Get over yourself.

There was no transfer fee run since nothing was transferred. If what you say is true then when you buy your next gun at the gun shop, not one you had sent to you, ask how much you owe for the NISC. they will tell you zero. It must be the water up there, good grief.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    $50 on Russ (combat experienced former army ranger) vs the farm boy running his mouth like a tough guy. :draw:
    I really want to thank you and your buddies for keeping this thread going, I hope we reach 100 posts.

Yeah, I've seen combat too and been shot four times. You would be throwing your money away and you can believe what you want, we all know it's not going to happen, unless he is a dirtbag too. You should look into who Tim Larkin is, enough said.

Last edited:

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Wow...this is just so much fail.

Snowwalker, Ranger has a policy in place that states that if YOU back out of a sale after running the NICS check, you are responsible for paying their standard FFL fee for the check. This is a policy that most gun shops share.

I can't completely comprehend what your issue is. You essentially wasted Russ' time. Time that he could have been spending selling items to other people.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    There was no transfer fee run since nothing was transferred. If what you say is true then when you buy your next gun at the gun shop, not one you had sent to you, ask how much you owe for the NISC. they will tell you zero. It must be the water up there, good grief.
    If a call in has taken place, that's the service charged for.
    The fact that you can't understand such a simple point...says a LOT.

Snowwalker, Ranger has a policy in place that states that if YOU back out of a sale after running the NICS check, you are responsible for paying their standard FFL fee for the check. This is a policy that most gun shops share
    This^. Snowalker, THIS^.

Just in case you missed it;

policy in place that states that if YOU back out of a sale after running the NICS check, you are responsible for paying their standard FFL fee for the check. This is a policy that most gun shops share

I think you need it broken down...

policy states

policy states if YOU back out

if YOU back out ...you are responsible for paying their standard FFL fee for the check.

you are responsible for paying their standard FFL fee for the check.

Yeah, I'm sure even that simplified...it's still going over your head.

Considering the way IT'S been crying like a b**ch I don't think there's any male hormone present!
    That's an insult to *****es everywhere.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Get over yourself.

The transfer didn't take place. See below for more explanation.

Snowwalker, Ranger has a policy in place that states that if YOU back out of a sale after running the NICS check, you are responsible for paying their standard FFL fee for the check. This is a policy that most gun shops share.

I'm sorry but that policy is akin to a business trying to operate as a business but charging an entrance fee to the store.

A policy like that could be read as: "Here at Joe's Gunshop our mere presence is a service to you and you must pay a 'cover-charge' to come look at the guns because it's possible you might waste our time looking and asking questions without buying".

#1 I'm going to say that I don't know of any shops that have that policy (except Ranger as you've now pointed out):n00b: and #2 I would never patronize a shop that did.

Think about it. Lets say you're travelling about and see a gun-shop and decide to stop in, you find something you like and commit to buy it. What happens when you get delayed or denied? I'm sure if the roles were reversed there wouldn't be many people that would be willing to drive 2+ hrs back to the shop after the delay goes through. I know that I sure wouldn't, and I would certainly hope for understanding and respect from the shop owner when I apoligize and say I'm not really interested in making that drive again just for the gun. Are all of you saying you would make that drive? What if you're on your way home from vacation and it's 12 hrs from home? 24 hrs from home? How far will you make a special trip just to buy a gun. There has to be a threshold somewhere in there. Its going to be different for every person.

The cover-charge thing may work for bars on a Friday night, but for a gun-shop where the back-ground check is part of doing business, then back-ground checks that don't go through should be considered part of the cost of doing business. If you (shop owner or anybody else for that matter) feel that you need to be compensated for your time spent with a customer at work I have news for you. There are very, very few businesses that operate that way and if a gunshop tries to operate that way openly I won't support them and IMHO, the people that do support them only allow such a ridiculous policy to propagate and spread.

A few more examples of how stupid such a policy is:

If you go to a jewelry store to buy jewelry and you spend 30 minute looking at and considering all the different pieces then decide you don't want any do they try to charge you for their time showing you the jewelry?

What about an autoparts store? If you go look for a special part and the clerk helps you for 20 minutes and finally finds one but you decide it costs too much or isn't the right brand, or the color of the box doesn't suit your color palette do they try to charge you for their time?

Or, you go to a department store and tie up a clerks time for 3 hours trying on shoes, clothes, purses, etc and go up to the register to purchase said items and you card is declined do they still try to charge you for their time? Should they call the police when you can't pay the extortion fees because your card was declined?

We can go on all day here folks but the fact of the matter is that "time" in retail sales is a cost of doing business and if somebody wants to buy and decides not to, or is prevented from following through for any number of reasons before the sale actually takes place, it's nothing more than a cost of doing business and trying to extort fees out of them or charge them for your time is a ridiculous business practice.

As far as I've always known, in any gun-shop I've ever visited, committing to buy is contingent upon the back-ground check going through. That only makes sense right? The deal can't go through without the background check. So even if it's not explicitly mentioned the deal is contingent upon that and IMHO if it doesn't go through it's an "awe shucks" moment for both parties involved. I think if Russ really did try to charge $40 just for a failed check (or even delayed check where returning at a later date was cost& time-prohibitive) then he was outside the lines of a good businessman operative under good business practices.

:twocents:

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    The transfer didn't take place. See below for more explanation.

I'm sorry but that policy is akin to a business trying to operate as a business but charging an entrance fee to the store.

A policy like that could be read as: "Here at Joe's Gunshop our mere presence is a service to you and you must pay a 'cover-charge' to come look at the guns because it's possible you might waste our time looking and asking questions without buying".

#1 I'm going to say that I don't know of any shops that have that policy (except Ranger as you've now pointed out):n00b: and #2 I would never patronize a shop that did.

Think about it. Lets say you're travelling about and see a gun-shop and decide to stop in, you find something you like and commit to buy it. What happens when you get delayed or denied? I'm sure if the roles were reversed there wouldn't be many people that would be willing to drive 2+ hrs back to the shop after the delay goes through. I know that I sure wouldn't, and I would certainly hope for understanding and respect from the shop owner when I apoligize and say I'm not really interested in making that drive again just for the gun. Are all of you saying you would make that drive? What if you're on your way home from vacation and it's 12 hrs from home? 24 hrs from home? How far will you make a special trip just to buy a gun. There has to be a threshold somewhere in there. Its going to be different for every person.

The cover-charge thing may work for bars on a Friday night, but for a gun-shop where the back-ground check is part of doing business, then back-ground checks that don't go through should be considered part of the cost of doing business. If you (shop owner or anybody else for that matter) feel that you need to be compensated for your time spent with a customer at work I have news for you. There are very, very few businesses that operate that way and if a gunshop tries to operate that way openly I won't support them and IMHO, the people that do support them only allow such a ridiculous policy to propagate and spread.

A few more examples of how stupid such a policy is:

If you go to a jewelry store to buy jewelry and you spend 30 minute looking at and considering all the different pieces then decide you don't want any do they try to charge you for their time showing you the jewelry?

What about an autoparts store? If you go look for a special part and the clerk helps you for 20 minutes and finally finds one but you decide it costs too much or isn't the right brand, or the color of the box doesn't suit your color palette do they try to charge you for their time?

Or, you go to a department store and tie up a clerks time for 3 hours trying on shoes, clothes, purses, etc and go up to the register to purchase said items and you card is declined do they still try to charge you for their time? Should they call the police when you can't pay the extortion fees because your card was declined?

We can go on all day here folks but the fact of the matter is that "time" in retail sales is a cost of doing business and if somebody wants to buy and decides not to, or is prevented from following through for any number of reasons before the sale actually takes place, it's nothing more than a cost of doing business and trying to extort fees out of them or charge them for your time is a ridiculous business practice.

As far as I've always known, in any gun-shop I've ever visited, committing to buy is contingent upon the back-ground check going through. That only makes sense right? The deal can't go through without the background check. So even if it's not explicitly mentioned the deal is contingent upon that and IMHO if it doesn't go through it's an "awe shucks" moment for both parties involved. I think if Russ really did try to charge $40 just for a failed check (or even delayed check where returning at a later date was cost& time-prohibitive) then he was outside the lines of a good businessman operative under good business practices.

:twocents:

So I'm going to guess that you don't support any LGS that charges a FFL fee? If you do, then you are kind of violating your own logic. When you pay an FFL fee, you are essentially paying someone to look over a piece of paper that you filled out, call the NICS system to relay that information, and then store that paper work. Whether or not you end up purchasing this item, they are still responsible for the handling and storage of your paperwork...

The issue is that the buyer committed to buying the item, he was not denied purchase by the NICS, he was delayed. It was his decision to break the sale rather than to work with the alternative options which appear to have been presented to him.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom