Rangefinders for zeroing in and gun/bow hunting..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoobilly65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Looking for a handheld rangefinder for a both zeroing my scopes plus for gun and bow hunting, but not costing over $250. Is there such an animal? Granted I know NOTHING about them, but get the general ideal of their purpose. Low light readout would be nice, but may not be applicable! Do they allow for angle variance? Basically, I want to point at the tagert and know can make the shot. What ya got?

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    This is the one I use for both: RX-600i Laser Rangefinder, Black : RX-600i RANGEFINDER | Brownells

Hard to beat Leupold. I picked it because I had difficulty ranging through mesh in a blind. I went to Bass Pro and asked to try everything in the case and the salesman was very nice and let me try them from inside one of the blinds with mesh. The Leupold line was the only brand in the case that consistently ranged objects of any color or "shininess" through mesh in low light.

I am primarily a bow hunter. I'd say 80 percent of my shots are under 30 yards so the declination via pythagoras is negligible. Where true distance comes in to play is archery shots in very steep terrain and long distances over 30 yards, or long rifle shots. I do not hunt with a rifle in distances over 200 yards in steep terrain so the "true angle" or "true shot placement" accounting for up or down angle doesn't really apply to me.

I will be using my range finder quite a bit hunting pronghorn in Wyoming starting Friday, heading out Wednesday. There the wide open terrain is very difficult for a Hoosier like myself to range accurately so I depend on my Leupold to get it right. Very common to take 50 and 60 yard shots there. VERY difficult to judge with no frame of reference.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Bushnell makes a fine product. I use their legends binos and they're clear, no headaches even after days of glassing. But, I tried all the bushnell rangers at Bass Pro and they would not consistently range through mesh - my only criticism.

I had the exact Leupold's you mentioned, and my only complaint is they would not pick up targets (side of a shiny truck) at 350 yds. I sent them back to Leupold, and was told the product meets their standards.

Like a Idiot I bought the Leupold RX3 1200 yd range finder. It would not pick up the side of a truck past 650 yds. I sent them back, and Leupold sent me a letter saying "product meets our standards". I wont do business with a company who wont back their product.

Obviously anything man made can fail, and I have absolutely no problem with that. 2 rangefinders out of 2 seems odd to me, but I can even live with that IF the company will admit their error, and make it right.

Top Bottom