• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LS!&*DUBB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Only recently I've been re-introduced to firearms and the importance of the RKBA. My sister married into a family of 'liberals'. I've always advocated to them the importance of basics firearms skills and encouraged her in-laws to consider the 2nd Amendment. For years they've dismissed me as 'on the fringe' and suddenly I'm a person of importance. I've never spent time with a quality instructor. All of the sudden these folks are asking me questions and the only answer I can give them is to spend time at the range. I'm looking for a qualified instructor that can give me some basic skills so I can pass it on to the local libs! I was considering Camp Atterbury but I would prefer basic rifle and pistol training so I can pass it on not-so-gently!

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    All for you (me, everyone) getting professional instruction. Totally in support. And this includes the newbies (of whatever political persuasion) you and I are taking to the range.

I do believe there is a role for amateur instructors. This is basically to get non-shooters to the range, get them shooting - SAFELY - and enjoying it.

We should be able to teach the basics of the basics, like the four rules.

Then we should gracefully step aside and get them in to professional instruction to really learn what they are doing.

I see so many shooters at the range micro-managing new shooters, scrutinizing and criticizing and correcting every thing they do. And often "teaching" things I know to be untrue/incorrect. This effect is particularly pronounced with guys teaching their wives/girlfriends, but very common with any new shooter situation. Then I look at their targets and the "teachers" are barely on the paper half the time.

A "new shooter" range trip should be 1) safe and 2) fun.

Then let someone who actually knows what they are doing instruct on the details.

emclean

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    porter county (NWI)
    when I take new shooters out, first is safety, meanign muzzle controle, and keeping body parts away from moving parts / cylender gap, ect. keep them pointed down range, and help them load the weapons the first time or two, get them to where the will know what to ask if they seak ferther training.

any of us should be able to teach others the basics. take them out, if they will go and have some fun.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Range time with liberals? Will they be holding the targets?:D

Seriously I try to take at least one person a month shooting. I don't even ask about their politics until after we are shooting. If I know up front they lean to the left then I try to get them to hold the target a little to the right.:D

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Range time with liberals? Will they be holding the targets?:D

Seriously I try to take at least one person a month shooting. I don't even ask about their politics until after we are shooting. If I know up front they lean to the left then I try to get them to hold the target a little to the right.:D

dang it can't rep you right now....here's one rep IOU. :D

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    i teach people the way i was taught. with screaming and physical violence...i dont think ive ever had anyone go shooting with me twice...

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    Only recently I've been re-introduced to firearms and the importance of the RKBA. My sister married into a family of 'liberals'. I've always advocated to them the importance of basics firearms skills and encouraged her in-laws to consider the 2nd Amendment. For years they've dismissed me as 'on the fringe' and suddenly I'm a person of importance. I've never spent time with a quality instructor. All of the sudden these folks are asking me questions and the only answer I can give them is to spend time at the range. I'm looking for a qualified instructor that can give me some basic skills so I can pass it on to the local libs! I was considering Camp Atterbury but I would prefer basic rifle and pistol training so I can pass it on not-so-gently!

I think this speaks volumes about the direction our country is headed. Even the "can't we all just get along" liberals are starting to realize something is wrong.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    They make good target holders at the range. Getting them to hold it out straight in front of them and chest high is the only problem I see. Otherwise going to the range with them is fine. Just get them to stand still so you can get a good shot on target.

LOL

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    i teach people the way i was taught. with screaming and physical violence...i dont think ive ever had anyone go shooting with me twice...

You remind me of my very first lesson in handgun safety, administered by my Dad, who was not shy about physical lessons. I was about ten, and had had a little Daisy Red Rider BB gun since I was five, graduated to a Crosman pump at seven, and a .22 by ten. The first handgun I shot was at a deer camp, a little .22 single action. I hit what I was shooting at, and in my joy, I turned around to my dad, pointing the muzzle at him as I turned. I never would have done that with a rifle, but that revolver was just so... maneuverable. My Dad made the motion for me to turn around, and one second later, his size eleven boot lifted me off the ground and propelled me downrange a couple of yards. Never forgot that lesson.

Now when I point the muzzle at someone, you can't get me to turn back around.

shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    I was paired with a liberal co-pilot for many tours in a row. I discussed firearms, assault weapons, CC, etc very franky, and openly. When we got to an airport in which we had free time, I took him to a gun store. I told him that he just had to hold an AR-15. he asked why? I told him just do it and he'll understand. He picked it up, looked it over, and when he put it to his shoulder, HE SMILED! I said, "See, you can't even hold the thing without smiling". We ended up at my house one night, and took out some guns. When we got done shooting a tree in half, he smiled for 3 days.

He just recently purchased a Walther P22, which he loves. He said he sometimes gets it out just to look at it. And he is in the market for a mauser (he shot mine) and an AK47 (because I don't have one) (YET)

bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The day after Thanksgiving 2008 I bought my wifes Christmas present, a P22. Her sister is a big Lib, works at the Indy "Red" Star and so on. We went out to the field, set up some cans and starting shooting. 10 minutes later she goes, can I try? Well, sure I said..She burned through 100 rds in no time, had a blast, learned safety and that the gun wouldnt turn right around and shoot her in the head by itself!

Just got to keep whittling away at her!!!

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I love my girlfriend to death, but she and her whole family are from Chicago. What started as her being scared to death of guns has now turned into her signing up for an Appleseed this summer with me. I've taken two of her sisters to the range, and her dad as well.

.22s + reactive targets = fun, and I don't care who you are.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Why do so many here assume that all liberals hate and fear firearms? Most of the gun people I know skew more liberal than conservative.

Although those labels are reductionist to the point of uselessness. Complex, informed political opinions cannot be described in this way.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Why do so many here assume that all liberals hate and fear firearms? Most of the gun people I know skew more liberal than conservative.

Although those labels are reductionist to the point of uselessness. Complex, informed political opinions cannot be described in this way.

OK, how about line-by-line.

Why do so many here assume that all liberals hate and fear firearms?
    -This is a straw-man argument. No one said all liberals hate guns.
    -However, we see liberal anti-gun attitudes every day in the media.
    -We see gun restriction legislation (AWB, etc) consistently comes from Democrats.
    -We have personal experience of such fear/antipathy as related in some of the stories above.

Most of the gun people I know skew more liberal than conservative.
    -Shocking. Based on this and some other posts I've seen from you. I'd have a hard time believing you know many conservatives on a personal basis.

Although those labels are reductionist to the point of uselessness.
    -Reductionist/oversimplification- true. Useless, not hardly.

Complex, informed political opinions cannot be described in this way.
    -The way that political sides divide along ideological lines means that even though it isn't 100%, these labels are in fact useful way to understand a person's perspective from a quick description. If this wasn't true, you wouldn't consistently see liberals and conservatives so consistently on the opposite sides of various issues.

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    A nice liberal friend of mine contacted me this week about hitting the range, learning not to fear guns, and possibly even helping her buy a gun. Now, her spouse said that their marriage would be over if she brought a gun into their home, so I was asked if I can keep it at my house...

I agreed happily! :rockwoot:

Not to mention I caught a co-worker at the Glock web site the other day. I asked him if he had ever shot a Glock. He had not. We'll be taking mine to the range before long too.

Gunvangelism is fun and loud :ar15:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Most of the gun people I know run libertarian in attitude (note: not "Libertarian"-capitalized, it refers to the party.) While this is what is referred to at times as "Jeffersonian liberalism", most of us who, forced to decide if someone is anti- or pro-gun based on their political affiliation alone would say that a "liberal" is anti- because that's what is predominantly true. Certainly there are some Republicans as well as some Democrats who vote anti-gun. I suggest that neither of those who do so respect liberty. The argument, to this point, has been defined in terms of lib. vs. conservative, GOP vs. Dem., etc. Perhaps the better terms would be to define it in terms of libertarianist vs. statist.

I have yet to see a "gun grabber" that is not a statist. They know they are helpless and weak, unable to fight the battle themselves, so they attempt to play on what they perceive as our weakness; namely, that we obey the law. Thus, laws defining this and that as forbidden will do for them what they cannot do themselves: make us helpless, just like them.

Kinda reminds me of the schoolyard bullies, so insecure that they must put others down, verbally or physically, to build themselves up--at least in their own minds.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom