• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Not a new gun, but out of mothballs for the first time in a while...

I've always admired it's uncanny ability to put any off-the-shelf match ammo into sub 1" groups. So long ago I just settled on a handload (with 168gr Sierra Match Kings) that I picked off the chart to duplicate factory match ammo. It shot well (3/4" groups) and I was happy.

Well two years ago I got a Chrony, and so I though it about time to really work up a load for this rifle, so antsi and I headed to the range on Friday.

I looked at Hodgdon's and Sierra's online data and compared it to my Sierra 3rd edition manual. Hodgdon was the least conservative of the three and the top load showed compression with 45.9gr of IMR 4064.

I decided not to go to compression and started at 39.8gr of IMR 4064, loaded one round at 0.3 gr increments up to 44.9gr, which was just to the level of the top of the shoulder. I loaded 18 rounds plus two more in the middle for fowlers.

Using a dummy cartridge I set my bullets out to ~0.015" off the lands, which ended up at 2.900" - 0.100" longer than the COL listed for this bullet in all the data. The Savage chamber seems to be long enough for 190gr and maybe 200gr SMK's. Since I would be loading them one at a time, I didn't worry about the limited neck tension - 2.800" is the correct COL if you want full neck tension.

I used three separate targets and divided the rounds into three sets of six, spreading adjacent loads onto separate targets in an effort to see more clearly where each individual bullet hit the target, instead of having bullets passing through the same hole.

I also color coded the ogive of each bullet with a Sharpie, so that if there was a question as to which hole was which, the color code might help out... well I'm 90% confident that I labelled all the holes correctly. My son wrote down the velocities from the chrony and I called the shots, which he also wrote down.

The resulting groups answered the "uncanny" question. The rifle with a limited amount of input from its shooter put 18 bullets - each with a different powder charge - a into a 1.20" composite group (all three targets). Only four shots did not fit completely inside a quarter. Those four were completely outside the quarter. Not counting those four, the overall group size was 0.64".

As for velocity the lowest charges were just under or just above 2500fps from a 20" barrel. The top three loads hovered around 2770fps. Comparing this to the Hodgdon data, it's probably best that I stopped at 44.9gr of powder, since the top load is listed at 2766fps from a 24" barrel. As for pressure signs, there were none to the fired cases, as the top loads mic'ed at the exact dimension as the lowest loads, primers were not flattened, but the top three loaded exibited the very faintest sign of cratering on the primer. For future loads I will not go past 44.0gr of powder, and I'm satisfied with the IMR 4064, which is right about the sweet spot for .308. Incidentally, the max load from Sierra is 43.4gr in the new data and 44.7gr in the old 3rd Edition. If I do try another powder in the future it will be H4895 or Varget.

Analysing the data and the bullet holes revealed something very interesting...

The charge weights I had been using (trying to duplicate match factory match ammo velocity) yielded one of the the largest group sizes - right at 3/4" - right where this rifle has been shooting since it was new. The largest group size goes to shots #6,7,8 at 0.95".

Loads #3,4,5 - 40.4gr, 40.7gr, and 41.0gr - were grouped together in a 0.18" group (velocity was 2498 to 2534fps), notably lower than the 42.5 to 43.5gr charges I had used previously (2682 to 2715fps). Shots #10, 11, 12, and 13 formed the second worst group of the bunch, but 13, 14, and 15 settled down again, with only a 0.030" vertical spread and 0.46" center to center horizontally.

The moral to the story is that I will be focused on two places - 40.7gr for a target load at ~2530fps, and 43.7gr when I load up 165gr BTHP Sierra Game Kings for a hunting load at ~2725fps - one I doubt I will ever use in this heavy rifle.

Last edited:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I really love my Savage 10 FCP great rifles out of the box.
    Sounds like you have winning loads for your gun.
    I have been running RL 15 in mine and getting similar results as well with a 24" barrel

l c gun guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Like the data I too have that rifle I think mine is 26" I shoot the 168 smk with 42.5 gr of 4064 at 2700 fps. Cold barrle first is little hight but the rest of the shoots go in to 1/2" or so. What was your finnal load ?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    LC, I've settled on 40.7gr of IMR 4064 for my next trial, and I'll load several... well it looks like I only have 7 SMK bullets left so it will be seven.

Yes, I really set it at 2.900", but that is still 0.015" off the lands in my chamber. Previous to Friday all my 168 SMK ammo was loaded to 2.800". I also have a box of factory 168 SMK ammo and it is also 2.800", just like the manual says to do.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    i to have a fp .308. have settled on 45 grains varget 168 mk 2.85 oal have tested this load 6 times so far. worst 5 shot group was .9 best was .5 my sons model 12 shoots even better.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    It would be worth the time searching to try and find some Remington Bench Rest cases. These have been discontinued but you can occasionally find bags of 100 new cases at shows. These use a small rifle primer instead of a large rifle and believe it or not you will tighten up groups by up to 50% using them. I was using BR cases for my CHeetah when an article by one of the big name writers (don't ask, I can't remember who) tested several calibers in several rifles that us .308 as the parent case. He had another person shot blind (didn't know which ammo that is) and in 4 caliber and three rifle the BR brass outperformed the large rifle match brass. I have tried it in my Ruger 77 and it tightened my groups by over 30%.

I kept that article in the shop for years but lost it when we closed the shop but it does work if you can find the brass.

l c gun guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Affter reading your post I scrached my head bout your oal and thoght maybe my rifle wood like it at 2.9 too. So I made a round and tried to put it in the rifle but it wood not fit too long. Isn't it funny how the same rifle can be so different.do you guys have a big differece in new and once fired brass new I shot bout 1" and once fired whent into 1/4 groups. I know shooting the brass forms it butt what a difference.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I was surprised at the amount of freebore in my chamber. I wouldn't feel comfortable loading hunting (no where close to the cannelure) or semi-auto rounds that long.

I guess the positive is that I don't have to stuff the longer 190 and 200 grain bullets back so far in the case... in the off chance I feel like bruising my shoulder even more. :)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Finally got pics...

The grid prints out a tad smaller than 1" on my printer and the center circle is exactly the size of a quarter.

308Ladder1-168-4064.jpg

308Ladder2-168-4064.jpg

308Ladder3-168-4064.jpg

matrxx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Nice stick to have,I prefer to have Savage over Remington ,so you can play around a lot with it,do what ever you want.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    That kind of shooting is to be expected out of a Savage rifle. I love the ones I have.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The scary part is that no two rounds had the same powder charge. Next time out I'm loading Load #4 (low velocity "target" load). Notice where load # 5 and #3 are in comparison. Or it's just a fluke - but I'll find that out too.

Top Bottom