• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    With the weather consisting of a lot of rain I was considering getting a year membership. But the issue is with some of the stuff I have noticed ( Guy trying to clear a squib by having it pointed right at his face, another one waving his gun all over the place like it was an extension of his hands when he was talking to someone.)

Honestly is there anything to be gained by punching paper that you can't get by dry firing?

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    With the weather consisting of a lot of rain I was considering getting a year membership. But the issue is with some of the stuff I have noticed ( Guy trying to clear a squib by having it pointed right at his face, another one waving his gun all over the place like it was an extension of his hands when he was talking to someone.)

Honestly is there anything to be gained by punching paper that you can't get by dry firing?

To be sure, dry fire practice is beneficial, but c`mon, you just have to know there`s nothing that compares to live fire to make you a better shooter.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I bet with dry firing you hit the bulls eye every time right?

Not to mention handling that recoil like a boss.

My range, I have an entire bay to myself every time I go...

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Depends on the range, what they offer, the other members and the annual cost.

Kind of tough to weigh in with so few details.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Depends on the range, what they offer, the other members and the annual cost.

Kind of tough to weigh in with so few details.

Its in the lower level of their store, it would be about $250.00 a year. There is very poor ventilation and it is unsupervised. Thing of it is I can go out back and shoot steel for free. I was kind of thinking it would be nice to have a warm place to shoot, but then again doing a little practice outside in inclimate weather might not really be such a bad idea either.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I joined a small range and go at odd hours. Usually have the place to myself. They also have a pond to fish so if someone is shooting I will hang and fish awhile until they leave. I refuse to shoot around anyone else. For a hundred bucks a year it is a good deal. I usually sell that much brass that I pick out of the garbage can and also refill my stash. So it works out for me I guess.

The bigger range I was a member of was horrid. Full of uneducated bafoons with firearms. I witnessed so much poor gun handling I bailed out as fast as I could. Wont go to an indoor outfit either.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

That you even ask this.....:dunno:

Not being a butt just stating a fact. Nothing compares with live fire.
    Pick your range time wisely. Find a night through the week that gives you at least some space at the range.
    The spouse and I drive the 60 miles one way north to Lafayette just to shoot with friends at a low traffic time on the range. We usually see maybe 2 or 3 other shooters.

And if safety is a huge issue at the range you frequent maybe a change of venue is in order.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    for $20 a year, it can't be beat. I know that many ranges are a lot more expensive but at PROteq in Brazil, that's the fee.

Dry firing? Really? You think this gives you the feedback needed to be on target with follow ups let alone the surprise you will get when you squeeze off that first round and suddenly go deaf. Ears ringing and if it was nighttime you may even wind up momentarily blinded by the flash. You still think dry fire is enough to be ready in a stress situation where confronted by at least one if not more folks with bad intent? Who want to have their way with you woman and kids? Really?

IF you intend to carry a firearm for self defense then it only makes sense to want to go somewhere and actually shoot the weapon. Never mind competing, carrying a gun is a responsibility that must be taken seriously. Otherwise, take your phone and call the police instead, it will be a lot safer for everyone.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Some of the responses are a little harsh, but not inaccurate. You really do need to practice. I do most of my pistol work at home, also. Apparently I'm going to have to join Farmland conservation club around the corner, because Frank Merry park, where I usually go, isn't even open on the weekends right now, like they're supposed to be.
    But I digress.
    Yes, you do need to practice live fire..

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Some of the responses are a little harsh, but not inaccurate. You really do need to practice. I do most of my pistol work at home, also. Apparently I'm going to have to join Farmland conservation club around the corner, because Frank Merry park, where I usually go, isn't even open on the weekends right now, like they're supposed to be.
    But I digress.

No intent to be harsh just stressing an obvious.
    If you do not feel safe do not go there.
    If the owners do not care then again, do not go there.

Yes, live fire is a requirement.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    $250 a year sounds a little steep. I would expect decent ventilation for that much money.

In general however, I think joining a range is well worth the price. My range membership was a great gift to myself. I met some really good guys and became much more active in shooting when I joined a range. It was a good decision.

Dry firing is like practice in any other sport, it is important but not neccessarily a lot of fun. Live fire is also important to improving but a lot more fun. If you want to get better and stay better (shooting is a perishable skill) you need to do both. :twocents:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Personally I don't believe there is ANY method of practicing with a handgun or rifle that compares to actual firing the firearms at a target. I am 75 years old and have shot for many years, shooting calibers from 22 to 30-06 (and most in between) for many years. I don't practice as much as I should or would like to, but still belong to a conservation club and do practice occasionally. After a few weeks of inactivity I find I cannot immediately pick up a firearm and shoot as well as I should. After a few mags, I do get back on target. Dry firing does not let you know where the bullet will impact. The grip on a handgun is important and a tight grip may impact 6" or more lower than a loose one at 25 yards. You may be "pulling" the firearm when firing, these things will only show up when the bullet impacts the target in live fire.

I am fortunate in that I do have places to fire my guns beside my club, however I will always keep my membership. I certainly don't see the major safety issues at the Linden Conservation club (the one where I belong) others have cited. I am sure a member would be warned and or expelled from the club if safety was not properly observed. Sorry to say Linden is not taking new members at this time. However I am sure you can find a club or range in your area that maintains a safe environment.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013

As other have stated, find a private range where safety is taken seriously, they do exist. I have been a member at Fall Creek Valley CC for a number of years. The only issue I have ever seen was somebody working on a gun with it not pointed down range, and even then it was unloaded so it was more of a faux pas than an actual safety concern.

Bad weather is actually a good time to go to have the range to yourself.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Its in the lower level of their store, it would be about $250.00 a year. There is very poor ventilation and it is unsupervised. Thing of it is I can go out back and shoot steel for free. I was kind of thinking it would be nice to have a warm place to shoot, but then again doing a little practice outside in inclimate weather might not really be such a bad idea either.

If you have a place outdoors that you can shoot steel at, why not try to make IT more comfortable?

Something like this https://www.pinterest.com/pin/49187820903326976/

Another view https://www.pinterest.com/pin/507780926717018474/

Use a 2x4 board ran around the support posts with hooks placed to match the grommet locations on a couple cheap Harbor Freight tarps. This can give you a 3 sided, pretty windproof shelter for the winter days.

If you want even more comfort, there's a bunch of fairly inexpensive propane heaters that could help take the chill off....http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_heaters-stoves-fireplaces+propane-heaters+propane-
    portable-heaters

Build up/cover the shooting area with something like limestone screenings that will pack down to a harder surface yet still let water drain through. This is so you aren't shooting in mud and it makes brass retrieval and general cleanup easier.

To have somewhere you can shoot what you want, how you want, and be able to pick and choose who you want to accompany you.......priceless!

Last edited:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I pay $100 a year, (My wife pays it on my birthday), local LGS, m-f anytime, one free target and I/we go every other Thursday or any chance I can get.
    If I was rich I would get ammo, land, and build a shelter out of the rain and sun (it wouldn't be north or east of Dixie) have a fridge and close port o potty, and I would be there every day.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Only problem with open to the public ranges are some of the rules, and people. I went shooting this weekend and was told after I was done "no reloads" because they're too smokey. Granted I was using RNL lubed bullets from Indiana Bullet Company, I get they're smokey. Fair enough. Firing rate, 1 shot per second. Not really good if you want to practice double taps. "I need to see your stamp". You can't even sell them, so F-off. And of course all the BS stuff we see careless shooters doing. Collecting brass can be a challenge.

However, they're typically comfortable places to shoot, with convenient targets (you don't have to hike to look at it or change it). Memberships are worth it if you shoot a lot. If you know the operators and they're willing to work with you (allowing you to shoot smokey rounds during slow times, double taps, etc.), then there's some added value there.

Private ranges do have their advantages. Dueling trees (and other steel) and general shenanigans (safely) are all fun. My favorite is to shoot clays and hide tanerite behind one of them. Shoot from a distance of course, but taking turns to "find it" is great fun.

So really, it's up to you if you shoot enough inside to make it worthwhile.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

Dry firing is very important. It builds neural pathways for trigger control/sight alignment. A few thousand proper dry fires makes a big difference in the field. Of course, you will have to live fire to forward your progress. However, too many believe that target practice=gun competency. Not true. I've seen too many shooters who do well on a static line, shooting paper, but are practically worthless when it comes to combat shooting. Line firing is good to practice the fundamentals, don't get me wrong. I currently love CSAT drills for my pistol and rifle.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    But I digress.

Guess I should have been a bit more specific understanding live fire is vital, I usually do about 50 to a 100 rounds of handgun caliber and 50 or so for rifle caliber a week so out back. I know it does not seem like a lot, but for me its far more productive being able to draw and fire and change positions and fire at different areas, versus standing there and pointing at paper. That is why I was wondering if it was even worth it.

Tonight I got home a bit early and it was already getting dark and a bit cool so I practiced drawing from cover and engaging the steel gongs. I was surprised to see how much muzzle flash there was.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom