• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    So, you're set up at the range and folks move in next to you,and their hot brass is ejecting all over your bench and your person.

Ideally, they would have enough sense to realize that hot brass hitting you is, to say the least, unpleasant- but what if they seem oblivious to the problem?

How would you realistically deal with this?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I am assuming an outdoor range?
    If it bothers you, start going to an indoor range. Flying brass is just part of the experience, lol

chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin
    I've started going to atterbury lately and i've been hit by flying brass every time i've been there. I just figure learning to shoot despite distractions is a useful skill.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    I altered the ejection pattern on my AR and M1A so that never happens, common courtesy mandated that I do it. If someone is too inept to throw hot brass on me, I would just assume a very inexperienced shooter or someone just trying to exert their superiority over me.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I have that issue with my AK. The brass flies two lanes down and goes right in front of the shooting bench there. I feel a little bad about it, but as been said, what am I supposed to do? Stop shooting at the shooting range? Personally, I'm going to look into getting a on-bench brass catcher, just so I can feel better about my flying brass.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I altered the ejection pattern on my AR and M1A so that never happens, common courtesy mandated that I do it. If someone is too inept to throw hot brass on me, I would just assume a very inexperienced shooter or someone just trying to exert their superiority over me.

So if I am firing my EDC 9mm at the range, and the brass flies out and to the right like it is supposed to, I am "inept", "very inexperienced" and/or "trying to exert [my] superiority"? :dunno:

alllllrightythen :rolleyes:

swanny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    This is a tough one. Really the only good solution is joining a private range where you can have your own space. Other than that try to pick lanes that have 1) Walkways, 2) Separators, or 3)being on the furthest left bay of the range.

I also make sure that I'm not wearing anything like boots, or clothing where brass could potentially get stuck on your person.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    So, you're set up at the range and folks move in next to you,and their hot brass is ejecting all over your bench and your person.

Ideally, they would have enough sense to realize that hot brass hitting you is, to say the least, unpleasant- but what if they seem oblivious to the problem?

DUCK!
    Have you tried taking the pail full of spent casings and pouring it over the guys head, then blowing him a kiss? Always works for me. But then I keep a private hospital room on call.:cool:
    Wait, did you say realistic...never been good with realistic, ever since I read the Golden Book 'TOOTLES' I could never quite stay on the tracks.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Boys if you think flying brass is bad ,stand on the right hand side of a flint lock shooter it's a blast . Most of the ranges I go to have wire or plastic separating the shooters.
    Be polite and ask to switch lanes . Explain the problem

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I would just like to know where my AK brass ends up. Shot lots of it and find few of them, I think they like to be free.

Where a hat at the range so at least it does not hit you in the face. 10-22 are good at hitting people to the right. Just that right angle back.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    1025edit-tfb.jpg

I have made something akin to this with pvc, a cheap tarp, and cheap bungie cords. You can use it to keep your brass close or theirs from hitting you.

Last edited:

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    That's just part of the ambiance of the outdoor gun range. Just this last Saturday I was plinking away with my 22/45 and I'm getting 7.62 X 39mm, then 45 auto, then .40, then .22LR then .22 magnum.

If it had bothered me, I would have said something like "you don't reload do you, cause I'm catching all your brass over here." or "Man, you've got a wide selection ... I've been catching your shells here.

I'm sure they weren't trying to pepper you. I was watching the guys who were pelting me and the one in the middle of the table was shooting a .22 magnum pistol rapid fire. They were arcing right over his buddy's head and right into my range bag. It was kind of funny.

Just be cool. Some people are jerks but most are cool.
    Don't be one of the jerks.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana

It's a gun range.

:rolleyes:

ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Well, if I was the guy hitting the OP with my brass today, please accept my apology. I was put next to a guy and his son at ECPR today. I felt kinda bad, because I think the flying brass was freaking the kid out a bit. I guess it's all part and parcel for the experience of the range. I like RoyalTennenbaum's solution up there. Maybe the guys at ECRP could hang up some brass shields between the barrels.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    I was at ECPR today too. Hopefully I didn't hit anyone. My friend was shooting his 9mm Ar and he kept hitting me with the brass. No biggie it didn't hurt any. I just raked up the brass to throw in my stash to use or trade off. I don't mind it because it has never hurt me any. I only get mad at dangerous shooters at the range, not trigger happy ones that give me free brass :)

Top Bottom