• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Spot on.

Rand Paul just looked at the scoreboard.

So did his father.

When it's futile to swing your sword anymore, you get on your horse and ride.

Rand, and I even believe Ron Paul are both currently going to work to swing the R's towards liberty. That's a heck of a lot harder to do from the outside looking in....

How is Ron going to swing the R's toward liberty when the majority of them don't want liberty?

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    How is Ron going to swing the R's toward liberty when the majority of them don't want liberty?

How many R's were "liberty-minded" (for want of a more descriptive word) 25-ish years ago when Ron Paul was on the Morton Downey Jr. show? And he was treated like a circus act?

How many R's were "liberty-minded" 10 years ago? 5 years??? Today ???

Did the majority of them vote for him this election? NO.

Has he made some major inroads? Heck YES. 15-20% + a lot more that sympathize, but honestly disagree with his foreign policy...

Ron Paul has not changed his beliefs and he has not changed his tactics.

If the majority don't agree with you today - but the numbers are demonstrably changing for the better, what are we to do?
    a) keep up the strategy that has gotten us the support thus far?
    b) completely change our strategy and tell the people that are coming over to our side (might not be there all the way yet) that they are bleeping idiots and statist pigs?
    c) go sit in a corner and slit our wrists because we don't have the majority yet??

Ron Paul has gotten the support and attention that he has gotten, AS A REPUBLICAN. That's an important distinction. He has not gotten it going off to the L's as Gary Johnson has. Not that I blame Johnson for doing it. My point is this - there are at least two roads to promote the libertarian agenda. One is to stick within one of the major parties and co-opt and steer it, until you gain more power can REALLY steer it. The other is join the (Big L) Libertarian party. Ron and Rand and Justin have chosen the former while Gary Johnson has chosen the latter. This should be a good gauge of the effectiveness of either strategy. There's NO question which has been more successful for Ron Paul. So why should he change strategies? His is WORKING.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Keep in mind, we've had over a 100 years of progressive indoctrination. For generations now, people have lived in a world where somebody has promised them government largess and problem resolution. Many people, though they would consider themselves conservatives, cannot imagine life without government oversight of their lives at some level. It's engrained into our public psyche...the government is the referee of all disagreements, provider to those with a need.

I contend there are people waking up everyday. But, if you're like me, just as when you wake up in the morning it takes a little time to come to full consciencness, it takes time for people to work their way to understanding what liberty and it's attendant responsibilities truly are.

Assuming I'm a fairly average person, my understanding of freedom and freedoms' cohort has evolved over the years and I suspect many others are following similar tracks.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm patiently waiting for a Ron Paul interview where he can explain what's happening here and why decisions were made. There really needs to be an explanation for this.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Watched this and I'm feeling a little bit better about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERI52UndhE4&feature=youtu.be
    This is nothing new for some of us that already had the foresight to see it.

There are some of us that support many of the ideals but are not totally infatuated with Ron Paul to the point that we can't see a different path through Rand Paul to get to where we need to ultimately be.

It's like the old saying about not being able to see the forest because of the trees.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    I'm patiently waiting for a Ron Paul interview where he can explain what's happening here and why decisions were made. There really needs to be an explanation for this.

I don't know that there will be any time soon. I do know though that Doug Wead is doing a Q&A live tonight online at 9pm Eastern. I'm sure this topic will come up, as will info on multiple state conventions that occurred over the weekend.

Details on how to participate will be posted on Doug's Facebook account (you don't need Facebook to play along).

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I'm thinking that Rand may well have shot himself in the foot with this one. Ron's supporters are pissed and might not be willing to throw any support his way in the future, as they did in the past. Hopefully, they realise that there are other alternatives this go around.

Ron Paul Supporters Are Totally Pissed About Rand Paul's Endorsement Of Mitt Romney - Business Insider
    I know you have been a supporter of Gary Johnson from the get go and I give you kudos for that but the bottom line is that he won't even be able to make himself any more relevant to the cause for Libertarian principles then Ron Paul has been.

He has nothing new to bring to the table and couldn't even best Ron Paul or anyone else besides Herman Cain maybe.

He has relegated himself to playing the spoiler role at best and will not advance any farther in his political aspirations than he already has.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I know you have been a supporter of Gary Johnson from the get go and I give you kudos for that but the bottom line is that he won't even be able to make himself any more relevant to the cause for Libertarian principles then Ron Paul has been.

He has nothing new to bring to the table and couldn't even best Ron Paul or anyone else besides Herman Cain maybe.

He has relegated himself to playing the spoiler role at best and will not advance any farther in his political aspirations than he already has.
    Then we'll spoil the race for Obamney. But, those of us supporting smaller government and more freedom aren't going to march blithely into the booth and push the button for your candidates. They're world class liars and we, unlike the rank and file gop voter, are in this for the long haul. We may not win in November, but we'll be trying and we'll work to get the message out that you don't have to choose between a turd and a douche. Thanks for your input, even though we've heard it all before.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Nothing more with Rand Paul compromising on politics.

Lets hope that it doesn't compromise upon the principles that he has to date, demonstrated to be in our favor.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i know this is going to seem sacrilegious to some folks but the Pauls are just politicians.

while i like much of what they say....... they are what they are

jake

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    This gent makes a lot of sense. Strategically, what Rand did was smart. What pisses off the extremists is that Rand actually understands INCREMENTALISM.

If the republican party was even remotely going incrementally in the right direction, you might have a point. They're going closer to Obama than they are the founders.

Top Bottom