rabbit hunters and their dogs( heavy on the ranting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    warrick county
    there has been an epidemic around my parts for the last few years and it keeps getting worse- rabbit hunters! i am not talking about the casuAll hunter but the guys i see are out there basically all year ! and the worst part is they dont give a crap about who else is out there andwhat they are hunting. i witnessed 3 years ago a good 20 something trucks parked on bothe side of a county road out in the mines and over half of the plates on the truck were out of state! kentucky, il., and ohio. this is every year. i was coyote hunting last year i was parked on a trail 100 + yards off the road and about 20 minutes into my stand hear come floppsie and moppsie w/ their turd eating beagles walking right by my truck. what do you know they had out of state tags on their truck as well. no i have no problem w/ out of staters hunting here buuuuuuut they have no respect for the other guy because they belong to some beagle club out here so they think they have the run of the land. what does a kentucky/ohio/illinois beagle and or hunters hide sell for :laugh:

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Last year I was going deer hunting and as I was getting ready to head out to where I was going to set up my ground blind, two rabbit hunters showed up with their beagles and I immediately thought the hunting day was ruined. Rather than be sour over it I figured I'd make a few new friends and went over and said hello and we talked about where I was going to deer hunt and where they planned to rabbit hunt. The way we planned it out, they told me their hunting was liable to kick some deer up and send them my way. In my foolishness I wasn't sure I believed it but I went out and set my blind up anyway. Not 20 minutes later, the deer were driven right past me by the rabbit hunters....and I was still screwing around with the ground blind. :n00b: Lesson to self in the future, when I see rabbit hunters and their dogs: 1. Make friends with them. 2. Plan on hunting where they will be driving game past. 3. Don't screw around with a stinking blind - be ready. I went the rest of the season wishing I'd meet up with some good rabbit hunters again. :D

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    If it was on public lands nothing much you can do about it. I had plenty of hikers, rabbit hunters, other deer hunters walk through the area I was setup in; part of hunting public lands.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    My son had a couple beagles run a huge 158" eight pointer by him a few years back . He said he wanted to get down and kiss them right in the mouth. ;)

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    ElmerFuddsb.jpg

newguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    warrick county
    yup i know but its just the lack of respect or common courtesy. most people see a truck parked on a trail during deer season they think well since i dont know where he is i probably shouldnt just go be boppin through the woods. but yes once again it is public and i do suck it up. the reality is im more worried about their saftey since im coyote hunting with a rifle(not deer hunting) and i may not know that someone is on the otherside of a spoil hill.
    itis what it is,thisis a rant nothing more.i am aware of the cons of public hunting so save your"thats what you get when hunting public grounds" speech. ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I hunt public for yotes, and it's a rabbit hot spot (hence the yotes). But I get back a ways so the rabbit guys might push stuff to me.

Learning how an area is pressured and using that to advantage, is called being smart.

houndman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    My guess is they are having a field trial. Were they carring guns? If so it wasn't a trial. I have a friend who runs beagles year round and he tries to avoid deer hunters but you have no control of were a rabbit goes.Sit tight and one of them probably has a **** eater and will eventualy run one by.

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    A few weeks ago, I was squirrel hunting in an area new to me on public land. Wasn't having any luck partly because the briars were so thick in the woods I couldn't go far off the dirt road. I scared up a couple of rabbits in the briars. Later, I met some very friendly out-of-state rabbit hunters putting their beagles back in their truck. They offered to sell me a beagle so I could try rabbit hunting, but I wasn't sure my wife would like having a beagle around. They ended up giving me their day's harvest of 7 rabbits.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    I would bet that those out of state trucks were from a FIELD Trial.

The Indiana State and the Little world field trials are help down south around some of the old coal minning araes.

Top Bottom