• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Friend called this morning saying he was getting ready to be arrested. I'll skip most of those details but his Girlfriend who I am guessing is now an ex, took his car while he is in lockup. Can friends or family repo his car if it is found or is it legal to report it stolen? I know she doesn't have a license to be driving to begin with... yes, I know I left alot of details out, just want to recover his car for him if it's possible without her reporting it stolen while I am in it.. I do have a spare key to his car by the way.

repo may be the wrong word to use, it was not a gift to her nor was it ever for her to use.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    She has no license and Brandon has permission to have the car and his friend never said she could use the car. She is/was the girlfriend, so I am guessing she just picked the keys up.

Trust me, it's never that simple. The how the girlfriend came into possession of the vehicle, and where it has been staying is very important. Under the right circumstances, OP could find himself sitting next to his friend in lockup.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Trust me, it's never that simple. The how the girlfriend came into possession of the vehicle, and where it has been staying is very important. Under the right circumstances, OP could find himself sitting next to his friend in lockup.

All I'm going to say about this is- that's good advice.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

I find that very very disturbing that the owner cannot decide who is in possession of his property. Can you elaborate a little or is it to complicated to sum up?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    She was spending the night at his house, not really sure what happened but I have found what he is being charged with. The car was at his house, he has not let her drive the car since they have been together (for the second time).

I know he would let me drive it and I'm all but 100% positive if I were (not saying I am) to take it from her, he would most likely thank me.

I am guessing that when he was arrested at his home, they would of taken him without his keys?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I find that very very disturbing that the owner cannot decide who is in possession of his property. Can you elaborate a little or is it to complicated to sum up?

Ok, boyfriend called OP this morning, and told him he was going to jail. OP finds out that the girlfriend has his car. Since it's the same day, a number if questions arise.
    Did the boyfriend break up with the girlfriend between the call and going to jail?
    How did the OP get the keys so fast?
    How did an "ex" have access to the keys, as well?
    Why is this such a pressing issue if the only guy that drives it, is in jail?
    DL or no DL, we're expected to believe that the girlfriend doesn't drive this car?
    Did the boyfriend "ask" to have his car retrieved? It doesn't appear so in the story. It seems as if OP is taking it upon himself.

Possession of the vehicle is very important. If the chick has had access to the vehicle, then that changes things. The only person that should take the vehicle, is the boyfriend when he gets out. If OP takes the car, and the girlfriend reports it stolen, no bueno.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    She was spending the night at his house, not really sure what happened but I have found what he is being charged with. The car was at his house, he has not let her drive the car since they have been together (for the second time).

I know he would let me drive it and I'm all but 100% positive if I were (not saying I am) to take it from her, he would most likely thank me.

I am guessing that when he was arrested at his home, they would of taken him without his keys?

So you don't have permission. I still think he's probably let the GF drive his car. Unless you're with them ALL the time, how would you know? You don't even know if they're broken up. He lets his friend drive his car, but not the chick he's smashing? Odd, especially since your boy hadnt even made his seat warm in lockup before she was rollin' his whip.

End of story, you don't have permission, and his girlfriend who apparently has access to his residence to get the keys does. If you take that car, it wouldn't be very smart. All she had to do is call it in as a theft, and you're going to the pokey. You may get off later, but you'll have a headache to deal with.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Well yeah she had access to it. He usually leaves his keys on the counter in the kitchen. I'm guessing like any other night I have been there this is where they were and where she got them from.

I'm pretty sure with the charges he is facing they are no longer together. She has not driven in my presence, always had a friend pick her up/drop her off. Friend is in jail, no contact has been made with him since.

The bigger issue is I have seen this guy at his worst. I have never heard of him doing anything remotely close to what he is being charged with. Not saying it isn't possible for him to snap, but I think she is falsely accusing him or trying to exaggerate the story a bit (by a mile).

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

If he hasn't asked don't even think about it. Kutnupe is no fool, most of the time, take his advice on this

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I'm going to stay out of it.
    I don't need his car, Just thinking what he most likely would want done until he is out. Sadly not the first time we (his friends) have been in a similar situation.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I'm not going to do anything with it. I just hope she doesn't do anything to wreck the car or cause him more issues or sell his work supplies that are in the car.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I'm not going to do anything with it. I just hope she doesn't do anything to wreck the car or cause him more issues or sell his work supplies that are in the car.
    If he has insurance on the car it's not going to matter in the end. Don't poke your head into the hornets nest bro, it's just a car, not worth going to jail over. Remember, the path to hell (jail?) is paved with good intentions!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Want to help your friend while he's in the clink?

Stay away from the girl. Forget the car. Focus on the other lady in his life.

Check in on his mom or family if possible. That's the best help you can give him.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    It wasn't so much about the car as all the havoc she could of raised using the car.

Found out from another mutual friend after posting this that the car is in the garage, he has the keys in jail and she is asking around for a spare key.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom