• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We have a new au pair with us now. She's from Bolivia and her international license expired yesterday. She needs to get an Indiana license but hasn't driven in a year. Can I practice with her in parking lots and other private property while still being legal? Just curious how you practice the skill without a learners permit.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I learned on country roads. Now cps will take your kids away the cops will throw you in jail and the media will call you a terrorist for that. But its their job so i guess its ok.

Op, i wouldnt even risk it in a parking lot nowdays. Go down and get her a permit and pay the king and you can teach her on the road with other driverS.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    She's been driving for 5 years in her home country, just not the last year here in the states. I could call the BMV, just hate dealing with them

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    I would imagine that the BMV would know more about it than INGO, wouldn't they?

Have you ever been to the BMV? It's debatable... :laugh:

Actually, all kidding aside, the last time I was in there I was pleasantly surprised how quickly & efficiently I got my items taken care of. Might be worth stopping in there Hoosierdoc.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Her international licence is a document that is the translation of her orginial Bolivian licence and she needs both to legally drive in the US, right?
    If it's not the Bolivian licence that has expired then she can probably contact the authorities in her county and have them send a new international licence? :dunno:

jackofspades

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Fishers/Noblesville
    I know that you can get tickets and other driving offenses in private parking lots.....(Not meant to be legal advice ;)). That being said I find it easiest to go in person to the BMV if I have any questions or concerns... never seem to get through to anyone on the phone that can help me.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I went to 3 different BMV's one day with an issue. Got 3 different answers... 2 shoved me away while the last one did what I was needing. (Title work on a car)

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I so much wanna ask if she's hot. But I'm not gunna do it. Not. Gunna. Do. It. :)

I don't think you should objectify this poor teenage au pair! You sexist pig! To help humanize her for this poor excuse of a man who hides behind the screen name rockhopper, the OP should post some pictures of the au pair. You know, just standard shots like sunbathing by the pool, jumping on a trampoline, scrubbing the floor on all fours...

Seriously, I'd guess that if her international license has expired, then she just has no license, which means she cannot drive. It may be faster to get her international license renewed, since going from learner's permit to being able to take the driving test requires a six month waiting period. I'm not sure whether that applies to someone who holds a foreign license. This should be in the BMV manual somewhere.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    If she has a valid DL from Bolivia, she can drive on that for some period (60 days?) before she has to get an Ind DL. Check the BMV driver's manual online.

However, police MAY tell you her license isn't recognized here, so take a copy of the Manual with. In my experience the police are often misinformed/ignorant about foreign DLs.

Or just break down and get a learner's permit now.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Well, a 15-minute call to the BMV was actually helpful. Her Bolivian license is still valid so she doesn't need a learner's permit first. That would have totally sucked to wait six months before she can drive independently.

As far as her looks, it's unwise to comment on an employee's physical attributes, especially when they live with you. She does however have a great personality, good English, and very good with the kids :)

Top Bottom