• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've got 27,500 miles on my 3 year old bike. I ride 25 miles each way to work down to 30 degrees. I ride mine. I've done zero upgrades toine except for comfort. It's a great bike but I think there are better ones for the money. My Harley retains value way better than any car. If it wasn't for that, i'd have bought a used Harley instead. I'd buy a Goldwing but I can't get past the looks of them.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    With all the problems Toyota and Honda are having lately, have any of you changed your mind about American made vehicles?
    It seems to me these recalls and questions about hidden data on problems, will cause an impact on resale value.
    Just wondering what people are thinking now?:dunno:

I haven't. I will always buy American. The whole backlash on the American car industry has been blown way out of proportion. For one, fuel mileage. My Wifes 6 banger Malibu Maxx get's better gas mileage than a 4 cylinder Accord. Some people say, "Honda's will run forever with no maintenence.".................true in some cases, but they cost 30% more to buy and twice as much to fix as an American made car.

Do the Japanese make good vehicles....yes.
    Does the USA make good vehicles....yes.

So if I'm making the choice, it's quite obvious.
    Support American made products whenever possible and practical!

Oh yeah.....I also find the purchase of a foreign pickup truck equivalent to burning our flag :twocents:

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I've got 27,500 miles on my 3 year old bike. I ride 25 miles each way to work down to 30 degrees. I ride mine. I've done zero upgrades toine except for comfort. It's a great bike but I think there are better ones for the money. My Harley retains value way better than any car. If it wasn't for that, i'd have bought a used Harley instead. I'd buy a Goldwing but I can't get past the looks of them.

Motorcycles are a different story. I love Harley's, but I also love the Jap, German, and Italian rockets. I will forgive a foreign motorcycle much easier than a foreign car.....especially a truck.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I haven't. I will always buy American. The whole backlash on the American car industry has been blown way out of proportion. For one, fuel mileage. My Wifes 6 banger Malibu Maxx get's better gas mileage than a 4 cylinder Accord. Some people say, "Honda's will run forever with no maintenence.".................true in some cases, but they cost 30% more to buy and twice as much to fix as an American made car.

Do the Japanese make good vehicles....yes.
    Does the USA make good vehicles....yes.

So if I'm making the choice, it's quite obvious.
    Support American made products whenever possible and practical!

Oh yeah.....I also find the purchase of a foreign pickup truck equivalent to burning our flag :twocents:

But 'American made' cars are 90% ish FOREIGN PARTS... :n00b: let's get real.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I'm glad someone posted this. I've debated but decided not to. If you aren't aware of what this means, for each new Big Three vehicle purchased, it varies from $1500 to $3000 goes straight to pay for retirees insurance benefits, etc. And before someone says "prove it", all I can say is this info came from my wife's last class at IU in labor studies.

And for the record, I'm sure the answer to the posed question above is a big fat zero!

I wouldn't care about this, but being that I had my money put towards 2 of the 3 companies, I kinda feel like I have a right to disagree with it.

Well I am no professor but I am a GM Retiree and the professer is WRONG, my health benefits are funded by something called a VEBA. GM no longer pays the retirees health care. Haven't you noticed the big price drop on all the new cars now that they don't pay retiree health care:rolleyes:.

And as for retirees not giving up anything, you should research a little before you attack someone.:xmad:

I lost eye and dental insurance, and deductibles went up and...
    Hell you look it up.
    Here maybe this will get you started.
    Health Care Marketplace | Federal Judge Approves Cuts in GM's Retiree Health Benefits - Kaisernetwork.org

I pay taxes also so I have a say in this.

Last edited:

sptland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Howe, IN
    So which one of these vehicles is more American? (I've had this discussion w/many relatives -- makes for fun Thanksgiving conversation!)

My Infinity QX56 - which was built in the USA - utilizing local labor, taxes, utilities, etc .... - yes the 'profit' is foreign - but what % is the former vs. the latter?

Or my Dodge Truck - which was built in Mexico? reverse of the above applies!

Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

That is a lot of miles!! What kind of mileage do you get? I wish I could ride more, but the whole farming, vegetable growing gets in the way of playing.

Harleys do retain value much better than any other bike, and goldwings are brutal!

later

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Have you actually walked around a GM dealership lately and looked at the domestic content stickers?

Yes I have and that was what I based my statement on. I admit I have not looked at every model. I have not seen any with 90% imported content, but as I stated I haven't look at other manufactures.
    Did you look at the link I posted? I thought that had a lot of this info.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Well I am no professor but I am a GM Retiree and the professer is WRONG, my health benefits are funded by something called a VEBA. GM no longer pays the retirees health care. Haven't you noticed the big price drop on all the new cars now that they don't pay retiree health care:rolleyes:.

And as for retirees not giving up anything, you should research a little before you attack someone.:xmad:

I lost eye and dental insurance, and deductibles went up and...
    Hell you look it up.
    Here maybe this will get you started.
    Health Care Marketplace | Federal Judge Approves Cuts in GM's Retiree Health Benefits - Kaisernetwork.org

I pay taxes also so I have a say in this.

No attack intended and I apologize if you took it that way. Just a discussion. But I gotta ask, why didn't you get in on the UAW supplementing the cuts that were made on your insurance? There are folks around here getting this. (at least that's what some friends of mine are saying, could be bad info) If it makes you feel better, my deductibles and rates have gone up nearly 10% every year for the last 3 years. That part is happening to everyone.

I didn't notice the price drop because I don't shop on those lots anymore.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Did you look at the link I posted? I thought that had a lot of this info.

I looked at it, and understand that it only shows vehicles with 75% or GREATER domestic content.

You contend that there are a significant number of other models with 70% or greater domestic content that aren't listed.

That hasn't been my experience in walking the lots.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I looked at it, and understand that it only shows vehicles with 75% or GREATER domestic content.

You contend that there are a significant number of other models with 70% or greater domestic content that aren't listed.

That hasn't been my experience in walking the lots.

Just looked and wifes 2010 Equinox has 70% my truck is outside if I recall it is 73% or 74%. Nearest dealer is like 25 miles from me so I can't give exact numbers. Next time I am out by a dealer I will try to get exact numbers. When we were looking I am pretty sure impala and traverse were in 70% area.
    Link I posted shows silverado, malibu, and cobalt above 75% That just about covers the Chevy lot.

My point was that poster said all the domestics were 90% imported.
    I was questioning that statement.

Last edited:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I didn't notice the price drop because I don't shop on those lots anymore.

Sorry I should have used purple for sarcasm. Prices haven't dropped and never will. Vehicles built in Mexico for example with cheap labor and no health and safety issues, and no epa to deal with, sit on lot right next the same vehicle built in US for the same price.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Link I posted shows silverado, malibu, and cobalt above 75% That just about covers the Chevy lot.

Around these parts, Chevrolet dealers also sell:

Camaro - Oshawa Ontario
    Aveo - Korea
    Corvette - Bowling Green
    HHR - Mexico
    Impala - Oshawa Ontario
    Avalanche - Mexico
    Colorado - Thialand (US consumption?) and Louisiana
    Silverado - Oshawa Ontario, Mexico, Fort Wayne, Flint, Pontiac
    Equinox - Ingersoll Ontario
    Traverse - Tennessee
    Tahoe - Texas & Mexico
    Suburban - Texas & Mexico
    Express - Missouri

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My bmw was assembled in South Carolina originally. I rebuilt it from a wreck in my garage with my own hands. It was pretty well designed compared to toyotas and gm's I've worked on.

It's just ok. I wouldn't trade it for the GM or Ford equivalent, but it's ok.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!

Camaro - Oshawa Ontario
    Aveo - Korea
    Corvette - Bowling Green
    HHR - Mexico
    Impala - Oshawa Ontario
    Avalanche - Mexico
    Traverse - Tennessee
    Tahoe - Texas & Mexico
    Express - Missouri

Your list is old.
    Silverados are only made in Flint and Ft Wayne. The other plants are CLOSED.
    Oh Mexico does make them too for the central and south American markets.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    But 'American made' cars are 90% ish FOREIGN PARTS... :n00b: let's get real.

That's a reason I hear all the time. If that's what you want to use for justification, then that's your choice. Bottom line is that a higher percentage of the sales of American made cars goes back into our homeland economy. Beisdes, they are damn good cars.....just as good as the Jap cars. If you think differently, you are brainwashed.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    To the OP- no, I would still buy a Toyota. I have not had luck with US brands. (personal experience)

I for one feel that it's odd how the govt is not pushing this whole thing hard- now that GM is owned by the govt. Seems like a conflict of interests.

GM recalls happen all the time. :dunno:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON

Camaro - Oshawa Ontario
    Aveo - Korea
    Corvette - Bowling Green
    HHR - Mexico
    Impala - Oshawa Ontario
    Avalanche - Mexico
    Traverse - Tennessee
    Tahoe - Texas & Mexico
    Express - Missouri

The original post I responded to claimed that the domestic manufactures used 90% foreign PARTS. That is what I was responding to. It didn't say anything about where the cars are assembled. It tells you right on the window sticker what % is domestic. As pointed out above that list is no longer correct.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom