• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I have an EZ Pass- toll are 1/2 what they are in cash in both Indiana and Illinois. Small price to pay as far as I'm concerned.

The Skyway is $4.00 each way...period. There is no discount for ETC, and there is no night time discount for cars (trucks get a discount). For those of us who work in Chicago, it's no longer an economically sound choice, unless of course you have an extraordinarily good paying job.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    jedi said:
    BTW OP you do know you can take your sidearm with you right?
    If you have your IN LTCH you can carry it on you while you drive but must leave it in the car when you get to MSI.
    !!YOU CAN NOT GET OUT OF YOUR CAR WITH IT!!!

@bob does the weapon need to be unloaded when you leave the car? I can't remember.
    If you have an IN LTCH then you can drive in the city with a loaded gun. When you park you MUST leave the gun secured in your car (under your seat, in armrest, glovebox, trunk, etc), and yes, it may remain loaded.

BUT there is some question about doing it on selected properties of a PARK, MUSEUM, HOSPITAL, and SPORTS VENUE. The new Illinois law allows your car to be treated as a "safe zone" or an "extension of your home" when it comes to gun transport. That is very clear. But what is less clear is if that safe zone extends to the parking lots of properties that are specifically carved out as exempt by the statute and declared "gun free" properties.

Consequently if I am going to a hospital in the city and parking on hospital property then I do NOT take a gun. Ditto to a sports venue where I park on that specific property (Soldier Field). But I park on a city street when going to the U of Chicago. I park in private lots when I go to Cubs games. I park on city streets when I go to the Lincoln Park Zoo. So if you know the areas you can pick & choose the spots.

There WILL BE a court case to clarify this law, I just do not want to be the 'test dummy' in the court room.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Thanks for all the great info folks. Looks like I'll try the skyway to Stony Island. I'll leave the gun home. My IN plate says Army veteran and I have a Gadsden flag for my front plate so I don't want to tempt fate testing new laws. As an aside, I grew up in Chicago (gone for many years now). When I was a kid, I think 1954, my mother drove me down to the Museum when they were taking the U-505 out of the lake and moving it tot he museum. Lake Shore Drive shut down of course.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Forget to mention buy your tickets online to avoid the lines. You can buy the entrance and add any of the extras u505, coal mind, imax,etc.

Also iirc parking at the museum is 20 dollars add well.

--purple text--
    Have fun you corrupt chicago born native who escaped but now the motherland calls him back.
    ;)

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    I go up there 7-9 times a year (got the membership with free parking), If you plan on going more than twice a year it's worth looking into. Went up two weeks ago for a U505 breakfast/tour with that was hosted by retired Navy guys, was very nice and insightful on how the sailors lived/worked.

US 41 got moved out of the 'rougher' neighborhoods. stoney is a busy street (the other exits aren't as busy) and less like to have issues. When in doubt, don't make eye contact with the locals and watch the road. Be careful of red-light cameras too (new fav $$$$ maker)

Also need to watch if you drive a pickup in the city and stay off the boulevards (Chicago has NO distinction between commercial and private trucks, [truck plate is a truck, even on a car]). got stopped several times going through Jackson park, but not having a truck plate got me off with a verbal warning.

when did IL start recognizing IN LTCH? thought they didn't like anybody's license??????

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    when did IL start recognizing IN LTCH? thought they didn't like anybody's license??????

They do NOT recognize our right to CARRY.

However the new law recognizes the right to have a loaded weapon IN YOUR VEHICLE if you have a carry license from any other state. Leave the vehicle with the gun and you WILL BE ARRESTED under the IL carry law. Your car is an extension of your home, if you have a carry license you can have the gun IN YOUR VEHICLE with you, it may be loaded and sitting on the front seat, in a holster on your hip, in a compartment, etc. But it must remain IN YOUR VEHICLE.

IL offers ZERO reciprocity with other states. If you want to carry in IL you must get an IL non-resident license from the state of IL.

Top Bottom