• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Thinking of going to the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago but I believe it is close to some high crime areas. In looking at the map, I could get off the Bishop Ford at Stony Island and take it North to Cornell which goes right by the museum. Is this a route I could take without having a fire team with me?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I take the toll road in, over the Skyway, then exit on Stony Island. That takes you straight to the MSI. I've been doing this for years to get there and to Lake Shore Drive in daylight and at night. I've never had any problems.

The Skyway is far and away the better route than the Borman.

baddyna96

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Demotte, IN.
    I take the toll road in, over the Skyway, then exit on Stony Island. That takes you straight to the MSI. I've been doing this for years to get there and to Lake Shore Drive in daylight and at night. I've never had any problems.

What he said. The Borman sucks.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    just throwing it out there, why not take the train? southshore to 57th street/museum campus, walk less than 1/4 mile to the museum. no driving (well. to the train station i suppose) no hassle, easy easy.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Keep in mind the $4.00 toll each way on the Skyway. The Borman does not suck on weekends. Stoney Island from the Ford up is not a huge issue. Just keep your eyes open, and your doors locked (as you should anywhere in Chicago).

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I worked there for 16 years. I recommend taking the Skyway. Just stay alert on Stoney Island. They have a parking garage too. Just don't wait till it closes to leave. If they are busy getting out of the parking garage sucks. One way in, one way out. Enjoy, it's a really cool place!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Thinking of going to the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago but I believe it is close to some high crime areas. In looking at the map, I could get off the Bishop Ford at Stony Island and take it North to Cornell which goes right by the museum. Is this a route I could take without having a fire team with me?

We go to the museum pretty frequently, we also go to the University of Chicago (located about 6 blocks west of the museum) and a few other places in that general area.

Exit on Stony Island and follow it, you will have no problems. Its a black neighborhood and you don't want to get off of Stony, but its not a bad strip of road and the road is frequented by many commuters, museum visitors, etc of all races. There is even a Starbucks on Stony and there are some pretty well known soul food restaurants along that strip that are good places to eat . . . but most white people from Indiana are too afraid to eat there.

The Skyway works too, but I honestly never bother spending the money to use it.

If you are near a train stop in Indiana that is also a great choice, but I'm not near any of those.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    just throwing it out there, why not take the train? southshore to 57th street/museum campus, walk less than 1/4 mile to the museum. no driving (well. to the train station i suppose) no hassle, easy easy.

Its been a while. But I've taken the south shore, then walk 1 block.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

57th and Museum Campus are 2 different stops- he would want 57th as the MSI is not on the museum campus.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    We took the train in...its a little scary for about a block after getting off the train..but not too bad. We went in in Daylight...came out at museum close.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Hey, I want to go.
    They've changed the u-505 display.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

OP it depends if you want to spend the money to pay for the Skyway and even perhaps the Indiana Toll road or go via the free route.
    I have a family pass for the 2013-2014 season to MSI and we go the route you stated.
    I refuse to PAY to drive on a road. The freeway is NOT bad if you go on the weekends and/or AFTER rush hour doing the week.
    I have taken the kids on SAT, SUN and WED to MSI for events and never an issue on Stony Island.

STAY ON STONY ISLAND AND DO NOT DETOUR INTO THE SURROUNDING AREAS.
    Make sure you have a full tank of gas for the trip **BEFORE** you get into IL.
    Stay at or below the speed limit on Stony Island especially when you get to the park area. Chicago PD love to hide in that area and ticket speeders even if you are going 5 mph over! With an IN plate on your car you are a marked car for easy money!
    Set the cruise control and allow others to pass you by.

:nono: You have to walk about 1.5 blocks from the train station to MSI and unless you can carry an AK, and AR, 2 sidearms, heavy armor, and a fire team I WOULD NOT walk those 2 blocks in daylight and/or night.
    This is about the only safe way in that area of Chicago if you are not from that part of Chicago.
    Call+of+DUTY+vs.+Real+Life.+This+madafaka+posses+some_4e4fb9_4003259.jpeg

honestly, when i lived in hammond i would always take 41 up until it turned into lake shore drive. never once felt any concern.

Yes that is another way to take but I would not recommend that for non-minorities.
    You are going through mexican and black parts of Chicago that are not very nice.
    If you are brown or black then yes do it. Otherwise I would not recommend it for a white person.

When is your trip planned? Going anywhere else before/after?

^This!

BTW OP you do know you can take your sidearm with you right?
    If you have your IN LTCH you can carry it on you while you drive but must leave it in the car when you get to MSI.
    !!YOU CAN NOT GET OUT OF YOUR CAR WITH IT!!!

@bob does the weapon need to be unloaded when you leave the car? I can't remember.

Top Bottom