• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Guys,

I'm totally new to 1911's and just purchased my first, a Kimber Tactical Custom II. (Be kind, I'm still learning :))

In an effort to become familiar with the platform I've been searching the various web forums. Unfortunately, some of what I've read about the aluminum-framed Kimber's comes from several years ago and is somewhat concerning.

Therefore I'm hoping that those of you more experienced can help me...

From what I've read, many 1911's are temperamental when it comes to hollow point ammunition and I may have to try a couple of kinds to find one that my particular firearm likes.

What concerns me more is that I've also read that some hollow point ammunition will seriously damage or gouge the feed ramp on those Kimber's that have the polished aluminum ramp made as part of the frame (which mine does).

Is this still a concern on current production Kimber's or was this a thing of the past?? And, if so, is there a hollow point that is 'safe' to use with these guns?

I'm planning on making the gun my primary carry mainly due to it's insane accuracy and would like to use hollow points.

Thoughts??

Any advice or recommendations are much appreciated.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Use what your owners manual recommends.

The manual included with my Kimber does not caution against using hollow points however the activity in several of the forums I visited indicates that there were (possibly still are) problems.

I'm just trying to cut through some of the urban legend type stuff and get to brass tax facts.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    The manual included with my Kimber does not caution against using hollow points however the activity in several of the forums I visited indicates that there were (possibly still are) problems.

I'm just trying to cut through some of the urban legend type stuff and get to brass tax facts.

Your owners manual states this:
    NOTE:
    1911 style handguns were designed to
    function best with bullets that have a smooth
    contoured nose

Also a note on aluminum frames from Ed Brown.
    A steel version might be expected to last many thousands of rounds of shooting. An aluminum frame will also last thousands of rounds, but certainly not as many as steel. As always, the life will depend on many factors such as load strength, maintenance, lubrication, etc. A carry gun is generally expected to be shot enough to assure familiarization with the weapon and then is carried most of it's life. Occassional practice is fine, but if you plan on a high volume of shooting, you would be much better served with a steel frame gun. If you mainly plan on carrying the gun and shooting it occasionally, you will find the aluminum is a blessing on your hip. Just keep in mind that the cosmetic finish can be damaged much easier than a steel gun. Shooting with a ring on could cosmetically damage the finish. Getting even mildly aggressive with a mag change will cosmetically damage the inside of the mag well. One just needs to be more careful with aluminum. This is the trade-off for lighter weight.
    Normally, the feedramp might be damaged just by hollowpoint rounds impacting it repeatedly, but not with an Ed Brown. We have solved this particular problem by designing a steel insert for the feedramp. Now hollow point or solid nose ammo hits the steel insert and never touches the aluminum frame.
    The bottom line: if you intend to carry the gun a lot, and not use it for your "daily shooter", the aluminum version is for you. Otherwise, stick with the steel version.

Ed Brown 1911, 1911 parts, Ed Brown, handguns, 1911 45 acp, gun accessories, 1911 pistol, 1911 accessories, 1911 grips, concealed carry

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Viper, look closely at the hollow points available. Remington's might as we'll have a rasp file on their nose, right? There are others that have taken the time to at least attempt to remove the offending part on their hp by smoothing out the approach to the hollow. hydra shock for instance is nicely rounded at the tip.

I carry a Kimber ultra CDP II and a SIG C3 and use the rounded tip hollow points and have not had issues with gouging the feed ramp.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I suggest either the Hornday Critical Duty or Critical Defense. From the research I have done the rounded style nose helps them to feed while still being a true hollow point.

The Critical Duty just has more power so expect more kick but either round will do ya just fine.

I carry this in my 1911 and have put a box through for text purposes with no problems.
    In my 9mm I carry Remmington Golden Saber and they feed fine into there.

Just get a box and test it out if it works great only shoot them if need be otherwise practice with FMJ

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Thanks guys... About how many rounds would you say you've used of the Hydros?
    Would you happen to be able to check on your box Hydros and see what the Federal item number is for what you're using? Is it P45HS1?

(After spending like $2k I realize that I'm probably being overly cautious but I'd at least like to make sure I'm using something that's working correctly for someone else using a similar Kimber.)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Would you happen to be able to check on your box Hydros and see what the Federal item number is for what you're using? Is it P45HS1?

(After spending like $2k I realize that I'm probably being overly cautious but I'd at least like to make sure I'm using something that's working correctly for someone else using a similar Kimber.)
    I've got a Springer Champion lt wt that does have feedramp wear to the point all it likes is FMJ now. I bought it used and I'm unsure of the round count on it.
    My Kimber Ultra has right at 600 rds of the Hydra Shok through it. No wear noticed. I carried it a lot when I bought it new and I wanted to make sure the JHPs fed and were as accurate as I needed. They are very accurate and like I stated before I can see NO visible wear and I just checked it again. It's shiny and smooth. I took a Q-Tip to it and no grabbing of the cotton off the ramp at all.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar

2K for a Kimber!!!!!

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Yes... This is one of their law enforcement models which is why I was VERY concerned after reading about hollowpoint issues!

I would like to see a link to their law enforcement 1911's.

Custom TLE II

Identical to the pistol carried by LAPD® SWAT, the TLE (Tactical Law Enforcement) is widely regarded as the ideal 1911 for duty carry and personal protection.

• MSRP:
    • $1,080.00
    The reason I ask is did someone fill you full of bull and inflate the price on you.

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    On my Ultra CDPii, the feed ramp is part of the barrel, not part of the aluminium frame. I can't believe Tactical Custom II isn't built the same. I also have a Springfield compact with an aluminum frame, no idea what the round count is, but it's gotta be high 4 figures. Probably a 50/40/10 mix of ball, whatever el-cheapo hollow points my dad likes to reload, and Gold Dots. I don't notice any serious wear on it though.:dunno:

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    On my Ultra CDPii, the feed ramp is part of the barrel, not part of the aluminium frame. I can't believe Tactical Custom II isn't built the same. I also have a Springfield compact with an aluminum frame, no idea what the round count is, but it's gotta be high 4 figures. Probably a 50/40/10 mix of ball, whatever el-cheapo hollow points my dad likes to reload, and Gold Dots. I don't notice any serious wear on it though.:dunno:

On the Tactical Custom II it is -- unfortunately -- part of the frame of the gun itself - just like it's steel counterparts.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    The Kimber Tactical Custom II is an aluminum framed full size 1911 MSRP $1,317
    Kimber America | Tactical Custom II

The Kimber T.L.E. (Tactical Law Enforcement) Custom II is a steel framed 1911 MSRP $1,080 Kimber America | Custom TLE II

As has been said the TLE Custom II is the one identical to the LAPD SWAT gun, OP I am hoping there is some other reason you were charged $2,000 for your gun.

I had a Tactical Ultra II (which is the 3" version) for over 7 years and thousands of rounds and saw zero wear on it.

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    Ouch, 2K for a Kimber that's not a Gold Combat or Super Match? Unless it's some special run I've never heard of, you might want to see if you can get your money back. You should be able to get a Tactical II for around 1300.

Like others said, find a HP that's fairly rounded. You really only need to shoot a couple of mags of HP through it once in a while to make sure it functions with the round you're going to carry. The rest of the time use ball ammo. A couple hundred rounds of HP over the years won't do much harm, if any. Unfortunately, as said before, aluminum is light but soft. That's the tradeoff.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My Kimber Stainless with the alloy frame has not had a problem digesting anything I've run through it. I see no marks there as well, but I also tend to run either Gold Dots or Hornady Critical Defense when shooting SD loads. Most are FMJ but there have been around 600 of those. The Hornady Critical Defense do have a contour that is very similar to an FMJ but with the rubber bit in the end to help expansion.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    The Kimber Tactical Custom II is an aluminum framed full size 1911 MSRP $1,317
    Kimber America | Tactical Custom II

The Kimber T.L.E. (Tactical Law Enforcement) Custom II is a steel framed 1911 MSRP $1,080 Kimber America | Custom TLE II

As has been said the TLE Custom II is the one identical to the LAPD SWAT gun, OP I am hoping there is some other reason you were charged $2,000 for your gun.

I had a Tactical Ultra II (which is the 3" version) for over 7 years and thousands of rounds and saw zero wear on it.

The gun flippers from the INGO ads strike again!!!!!

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    hollow points cant damage an alum feed ramp, i have a mico eagle, great design but that frame was alum and before long the rounds would hang up on feed ramp, it had a big bur, i smoothend it out then shot most fmj. i was shooting some hollow points which had a very big sharp opening. if you want to shoot hollow points though an alum frame buy WINCHESTER SIVER TIP HP. they are soft and wont damage it. I CANT BELIEAVE IM THE FIRST TO SAY THAT. the best feed ramps are the ones attached to barrel. that is an upgrade i wish all 1911's went to. it the feed ramp dos ware to much, they can be welded and reshaped or you can have an integral feed ramp barrel put on, only money right.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    hollow points cant damage an alum feed ramp, i have a mico eagle, great design but that frame was alum and before long the rounds would hang up on feed ramp, it had a big bur, i smoothend it out then shot most fmj. i was shooting some hollow points which had a very big sharp opening. if you want to shoot hollow points though an alum frame buy WINCHESTER SIVER TIP HP. they are soft and wont damage it. I CANT BELIEAVE IM THE FIRST TO SAY THAT. the best feed ramps are the ones attached to barrel. that is an upgrade i wish all 1911's went to. it the feed ramp dos ware to much, they can be welded and reshaped or you can have an integral feed ramp barrel put on, only money right.

High end makers insert a steel feed ramp.

Top Bottom