Question about Selling in online forums.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • match14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    South Central IN.
    Morning everyone! I've got some stuff I'm looking to sell, but first I'd like to ask some questions to those who sell stuff on the forum here.

1. I know there are multiple categories, so if I'm selling some long guns, and some other firearm accessories, can I put them all in the same thread in the longguns section?

2. Regarding selling, If the other person lives far enough away that a FTF transaction can't be practical, should I only ship to an FFL? What is the standard practice for this? Usually in a FTF trasaction I'd ask to see the other persons drivers license and LTCH. If I ship it to an FFL, should I request that the buyer send me a copy of it?

3. If I ship a longgun to someone else here in Indiana/or their FFL, and get insurance for it, is $30 a reasonable shipping cost guess? (Assuming 2-3 day priority mail).

I'll edit this post if I have any more questions.
    Thanks in Advance!
    Match14.

Last edited:

Gaffshot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Sounds like you may be in the business of firearms sales. If so, you may hear from the man at some point in the future without an FFL

Gaffshot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Also, i don't think that you can ship to a person and maybe not even an ffl unless you are an ffl. Be careful.

boileralum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Indy
    Also, i don't think that you can ship to a person and maybe not even an ffl unless you are an ffl. Be careful.
    You are incorrect. It is perfectly legal for an non-FFL to ship to an FFL. However, one must make sure the receiving FFL will accept such a shipment. There are limitations on which shipping companies a non-FFL can ship through, which is covered in the INGO FAQ.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    ETA, from the INGO FAQ, compiled from threads here.

Shipping Rifles to another Indiana Resident: Rifles may be shipped via USPS. Pistols may not be shipped via USPS, but must be shipped via Common Carrier (e.g. UPS, FedEx, etc.). In either case, an FFL is not required to be involved in this process. For USPS, Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation is recommended but not required. You may also select "Signature Required" and purchase insurance as well, if you like.

Hmmm... I seem to recall, that in IN, it is legal to sell a long-gun to a person and ship it directly to them (no FFL involved) but I could be mistaken on that. I'll see if I can find the thread on it.

Regarding residents of another state, you have to ship to an FFL in their state. You (as a non-FFL) can legally ship to an FFL, but some FFLs won't accept from a non-FFL. I never have understood why, but make sure they will accept it first.

Last edited:

match14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    South Central IN.
    For the record I'm not an FFL, and I will not be selling any unusual amount of firearms. I plan on selling a couple long guns this year that is all. Since I've never put up a For Sale add in the forums, I'm just trying to find out what the norms are so I can do everything correctly.

Sorry about the double post, I was having browser problems or something.

Last edited:

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    Correct info has been disseminated:
    In state- No FFL required on either end. You can use the USPS for long guns, handguns and NFA need to be sent via common carrier. You do NOT have to tell the USPS what is in the package, and it may save you time and A LOT of frustration. Just insure it.
    Common Carriers have their own rules when it comes to shipping firearms. Often, a FedEx store will not ship firearms but the FedEx terminal will.
    Out of state sales- Must be sent to an FFL but not sent by an FFL unless the receiving FFL requires it. Often a copy of your driver’s license is requested to enter info into their book.
    $30 dollars seems fair.

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    I had a thread a while back where I asked this question and dug up the actual U.S. Code on that governs these transactions. The post above is absolutely correct that no FFL is required for intrastate shipping from resident to resident.

IN Resident to IN Resident long gun shipping ok by USPS
    IN Resident to IN Resident handgun shipping ok by contract carrier

Here's the actual law from the ATF website:

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Top Bottom