• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I know we cannot carry in a Post Office at all. I don't think it is legal to leave a firearm in my vehicle while parked in their lot. What I am wondering is if it is legal to simply drop a letter off in the drive up mailbox? Sometimes these are in separate lanes keeping traffic out of the parking lot. Someone please clarify this for me. I have not seen the law on this.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    How would they know you have a gun in your vehicle if you don't tell them? I don't know about your post office, but the at the one in Beech Grove the box is along side a public street.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    It is illegal to carry onto federal property. If you want to make a claim that the lane with the boxes is not actually federal property I don't think it will fly. But as noted, unless you hang a sign out the back of your car who is even going to know you have a "gun on board."

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What I am wondering is if it is legal to simply drop a letter off in the drive up mailbox?

Where is the mailbox?

Here is Star City I can just drive up to a downtown box. If you have to drive upon their property, no.

There was a lawsuit in Colorado over this. Don't know what happened other than it survived summary judgment last year. I'll look it up.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Where is the mailbox?

Here is Star City I can just drive up to a downtown box. If you have to drive upon their property, no.

There was a lawsuit in Colorado over this. Don't know what happened other than it survived summary judgment last year. I'll look it up.

Mooresville 46158. They have a lane that parallels the road, but it appears to be on their property.

I would not be advertising that I am carrying and do not expect problems, but with the LTCH showing up on these new fangled license plate scanners in some police cars, I could be visualise getting pulled over as I leave the PO, right or wrong.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I would not be advertising that I am carrying and do not expect problems, but with the LTCH showing up on these new fangled license plate scanners in some police cars, I could be visualise getting pulled over as I leave the PO, right or wrong.

It doesn't just "show up" if your plate is run by a License Plate Reader (LPR). Theres another thread on that if you care to check it out.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I think Jack means in the context of the U.S. Post Office. He was overbroad but we don't run around the conference room table about "Class III guns" or "vendors".:D

That's also not completely clear. The postal regulation allows carrying firearms for "official purposes," but the operative language of the regulation has to be limited by the statute, which is at least arguably narrower than the regulation.

I don't actually know what the positive law is, having read it. It's not completely clear to me that Congress granted the power to prohibit firearms from their property to the USPS. If nothing else, some firearms are mailable, long guns are mailable by anyone, and a licensed dealer can mail a handgun, so obviously all firearm possession cannot be a crime in USPS property.

I also think that it's time that Congress revisit this idea and revise the statutes to meet the current state of firearm commerce and ownership, but I'm probably just dreaming.

As always, I'm not a lawyer, and this is just the observation I've made as a citizen reading the laws and my response.:twocents:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It depends; is the letter an official letter? In an official envelope?

It has their over-priced "official" stamp on it, and is going into their official blue box. All names and addresses conform to their standard. I would be at the office ONLY to mail said letter, or conduct other business specific to that office (purchasing the over-priced stamps, or registering to vote, for instance).

So, yeah.

Kmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Denver,IN
    I work for the USPS and we have been advised (on numerous occasions) that even though the state law allows for leaving your firearm in your vehicle while at work, this does not apply to federal property. Although our parking lot is fenced off and clearly marked as federal property. Parking in the "public" parking area was never addressed. My opinion is, as long as you are there as a customer in the public parking area, leave it in your vehicle and go about your business. The law is very agrivating to me since I drive over 40 miles to work and have to be without my firearm. I feel this inhibits my abilitt to protect myself to and from work of a situation should arise. But what can I say, can't fight federal government.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Does "federal property" include property that the feds don't own, but are rather renting or leasing from the owner?

BTW, I thought this excerpt from the previously posted link was interesting: " 39 C.F.R. § 232.1(l). This regulatory prohibition, which carries a $50 fine or imprisonment for 30 days, or both, is broader than the federal statute, which prohibits private possession of firearms in federal facilities, except those firearms carried “incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.”

$50 fine and/or 30 days - that's it?

Also seems like carrying for SD under a state license would be a "lawful purpose."

Hmm. I'm curious to see how the case plays out.

Top Bottom