• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crazycatlady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Allen county
    I am new to semi-auto's and recently bought a S&W M&P Shield. In my pre-purchase research I saw several mentions of the rather crisp tactile and audible reset. However, this one does not seem to have either. Certainly not audible. Perhaps I am not sufficiently experienced to feel the reset yet.

My question is: Does it make any difference? Were there changes made to the trigger recently by S&W?

I took it to the range yesterday and was pleased with how it went.

Thanks for the help.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Don't know about the shield but the new M&P full size and compacts have better triggers now from the factory. A person can now feel the reset. Reset is a big deal for those of us used to 1911 and Glock. Cat lady I remember you mentioning a J frame in another thread, so in your situation the reset will probably not be a big deal. You should be used to coming all the way forward on the trigger anyway. If the gun is working and you can hit with it then don't sweat the small stuff.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Don't know about the shield but the new M&P full size and compacts have better triggers now from the factory. A person can now feel the reset. Reset is a big deal for those of us used to 1911 and Glock. Cat lady I remember you mentioning a J frame in another thread, so in your situation the reset will probably not be a big deal. You should be used to coming all the way forward on the trigger anyway. If the gun is working and you can hit with it then don't sweat the small stuff.

Vert is right. S&W updated their triggers on all of their m&p polymer guns soon after the Shield came out. It was the first gun to have their improved factory trigger, if I'm not mistaken.
    So, to look at it from the other side, imagine how bad the triggers were before, if yours is the improved version :) Most of the comparisons and explanations online are taking into account the PREVIOUS (bad) trigger. Maybe I shouldn't say "bad", but it had essentially no discernible reset, and was very mushy. So they just made it MORE crisp and now it has a MORE noticeable reset.
    If you have one of the first few thousand guns off of the production line, it's possible that the "new" trigger wasn't being used at that point. If it's new production, it should be the new trigger.
    Apex kits seem to work well if you're concerned, but not necessary if you're using it as a defense pistol (assuming shooting at 1-10 yds)
    I have a shield and love it -- I started loving it a bit less after feeling a variety of triggers (revolvers in SA/DA, 1911s, CZs, etc) because when I bought the Shield I had only really spent time behind Glocks. For me, the Glock is still the most comparable trigger to the Shield (both out of the box). For ME, the Shield has a little less overtravel and a slightly less noticeable reset, otherwise very similar.

Top Bottom