• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seaweed02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I am looking for a quality AK-47 with a milled receiver. Can anyone recommend one to me? Recommend a place that manufactures them? Or have one to sell?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Arsenal makes a bunch of different milled variations, i'd check with them. I think you'd be just as happy with a stamped though. What are your exact criteria?

What i mean is:

if you want a collector AK you may wish to go with a polytec, Sar1, Maadi etc.

If you want an military accurate AK you may wish to go with an Arsenal SGL

If you want a well made reliable russian AK that you'll make into a modern tactical beast you may wish to go with an Saiga or Vepr

If you want to make your own SGL like Ak you may wish to go with a Saiga as well.

If you want a very accurate AK you may wish to go with a Norinco

If you want a very inexpensive AK you may wish to go with an AMD, Wasr, etc

If you want a Kyber Pass style Ak you may want to pick up a parts kit with all best hodgepodge of parts with a receiver and send them off to a builder.

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    For the money you need arsenal. Arsenal of Bulgaria/ Las vegas....i have the SA M-7 and its milled and as robust as a Mas Dump truck. Never an issue either. But your gonna pay for it. i think they have gone up to around 1500 used 2k new. Or get your self a CZ58. they are milled like similar to an AK and take 7.62x39. they are a good little rifle too and they are lighter than an AK.

HJezler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2012
    i was lucky enough to find a pretty new arsenal sa-93 with the buttstock conversion already done, and i love it to death. if you can find one used for a reasonably price i would definitely go for it.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    Take a look at the vz.58 from Czechpoint.

Okay, so it's not an AK.
    However:
    All vz.58's have a milled receiver.
    About 1 pound lighter than an AK.
    Bolt stays open when the last round is fired.
    Manual safety is WAY more natural to use than an AK safety.
    Huge ejection port (no stuck cases).
    Gas piston is not attached to the bolt.
    Striker fired.

Very nice, I think.

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    Arsenal makes a bunch of different milled variations, i'd check with them. I think you'd be just as happy with a stamped though. What are your exact criteria?

What i mean is:

if you want a collector AK you may wish to go with a polytec, Sar1, Maadi etc.

If you want an military accurate AK you may wish to go with an Arsenal SGL

If you want a well made reliable russian AK that you'll make into a modern tactical beast you may wish to go with an Saiga or Vepr

If you want to make your own SGL like Ak you may wish to go with a Saiga as well.

If you want a very accurate AK you may wish to go with a Norinco

If you want a very inexpensive AK you may wish to go with an AMD, Wasr, etc

If you want a Kyber Pass style Ak you may want to pick up a parts kit with all best hodgepodge of parts with a receiver and send them off to a builder.

Based on your recommendations you don't consider a Norinco collectible, please explain? Not being a smart butt, I just don't know much about them.

Also, I realize that it's a different caliper, but what's your take on Dragunov SVD's and Tigers?

:dunno::popcorn:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Norincos are collectable in their own right as they are well made and have a heavy barrel. Pre ban Norincos fetch a premium price. You can still buy a slant cut post ban at relatively low prices which is why I included it in the low price/great quality/excellent shooter/more accurate than most category. I would consider a Tigr to be the pinnacle of my collection, however you can never find one. The one and only time I've seen one for sale was here last week and i couldn't afford it :( If you can get your hands on one, I'd jump on it like a beast.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    The one and only time I've seen one for sale was here last week and i couldn't afford it :(

Whoa! Wait! YOU couldn't afford it??? The INGO 1%er! King Fiero himself! Was this a solid gold TIGR going for seven figures??? Did someone spend too much money on silk banana hammocks this week or something?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I think it went for 3 grand. I would have jumped on it, but i had to get my chest hair permed and the fiero needed a wheelie bar, so i was down to about $2500 for me to spend for the week. I like to ration money to myself so that i can feel like normal folks. I don't want to be known as that rich and sexy dickhead on INGO. I think the gun was up for about 2 days before it was sold.

Seaweed02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Found one brother

i was lucky enough to find a pretty new arsenal sa-93 with the buttstock conversion already done, and i love it to death. if you can find one used for a reasonably price i would definitely go for it.

I finally found one brother. I bought an Arsenal SA 93 from a Gunbroker.com auction. It will actually arrive here in my home town today. But it will be going to the gun store, and then I have to wait for 10 days while they do a "background check" on me before I can pick it up. I live in Commiefornia. But like you I want to put on a classic stock set, so I ordered one from a company called Ironwood Designs. They aren't cheap, but they make all kinds of stocks for FAL, AK, AR, platform guns. They are so specialized that they make them for stamped and milled receivers, and actually go by what type (Yugo,China, Bulgarian, Russian, etc...) of rifle you have. I'll post some pictures as soon as my "10 day waiting period is up". But those pictures will be of the thumbhole stock that is on the rifle now. Then I will post pictures of the new stock set up when I get it. Or maybe I'll just wait until I have the new stock and post before and after pics together.

Thanks everyone for your replies to this thread. Good people on this forum.

Carl.

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Milled AK's were a stopgap for stamped guns. Why people want them is beyond me.

It's not beyond me. :D

I have a Polytech Legend milled receiver AK that I bought just before Drug Czar and phony conservative Bill Bennett stopped the import of them in the late '80's.

I had a stamped AK previous to this, and sold it as soon as I got the milled AK because the milled AK was of clearly superior quality.

The action it is much smoother than any stamped AK I've ever had personal contact with.

The stamped AK's were switched to because of manufacturing costs and considerations, not because they have a superior quality.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I shoot the snot out of my Maadi, I love it! Its accurate, and does everything well. If I pay attention and do my part its fantastic. I've had a couple different models as well, including a milled Polish that I enjoyed. I haven't found an AK type rifle I didn't like yet. :)

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    The stamped AK's were switched to because of manufacturing costs and considerations, not because they have a superior quality.

Exactly. Similar situation as the Thompson submachinegun vs the M3 Greasegun. and to an extent the 1903 Springfield vs the 1903A3 Springfield just to name two.
    Stamped parts vs more time, labor and tooling cost for milled parts.

Top Bottom