• ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    It's not beyond me. :D

I have a Polytech Legend milled receiver AK that I bought just before Drug Czar and phony conservative Bill Bennett stopped the import of them in the late '80's.

I had a stamped AK previous to this, and sold it as soon as I got the milled AK because the milled AK was of clearly superior quality.

The action it is much smoother than any stamped AK I've ever had personal contact with.

The stamped AK's were switched to because of manufacturing costs and considerations, not because they have a superior quality.

Exactly. Similar situation as the Thompson submachinegun vs the M3 Greasegun. and to an extent the 1903 Springfield vs the 1903A3 Springfield just to name two.
    Stamped parts vs more time, labor and tooling cost for milled parts.

I think you guys misinterpreted what he is saying. Stopgap means temporary expediant. The AK was designed to be simple to operate and produce. There is really no advantage to a milled receiver other than the craftsmanship is more commendable. Don't get me wrong, I WOULD LOVE A MILLED AK!!!!!! but your not gaining much and adding more weight to the rifle.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I think you guys misinterpreted what he is saying. Stopgap means temporary expediant. The AK was designed to be simple to operate and produce. There is really no advantage to a milled receiver other than the craftsmanship is more commendable. Don't get me wrong, I WOULD LOVE A MILLED AK!!!!!! but your not gaining much and adding more weight to the rifle.

But in my case compared to other rifles I have, my milled AK's weight isn't an issue for me.
    A milled AK is also said to be a little more accurate too, due to it's more rigid receiver.

Each to their own, I prefer my milled AK over the stamped one I had previously.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    But in my case compared to other rifles I have, my milled AK's weight isn't an issue for me.
    A milled AK is also said to be a little more accurate too, due to it's more rigid receiver.

I could definitely see them being more rigid. Not to mention you Legend is the pinnacle of quality in the AK world:bowdown: I have an AKS spiker Polytech, and would give any organ god gave me 2 of, if it would get me a Legend. PM me if you ever need a lung or kidney :smileak: It's definitely on my "grail" list of guns.

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    It's not beyond me. :D

I have a Polytech Legend milled receiver AK that I bought just before Drug Czar and phony conservative Bill Bennett stopped the import of them in the late '80's.

I had a stamped AK previous to this, and sold it as soon as I got the milled AK because the milled AK was of clearly superior quality.

The action it is much smoother than any stamped AK I've ever had personal contact with.

The stamped AK's were switched to because of manufacturing costs and considerations, not because they have a superior quality.

I just picked up a milled Norinco 91 National Match that I traded a Mak 90 (stamped) and a CZ 82 for. God help me. I'm too poor to support a milled AK collection.

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    I think it went for 3 grand. I would have jumped on it, but i had to get my chest hair permed and the fiero needed a wheelie bar, so i was down to about $2500 for me to spend for the week. I like to ration money to myself so that i can feel like normal folks. I don't want to be known as that rich and sexy dickhead on INGO. I think the gun was up for about 2 days before it was sold.

LMBO!!!!!

You guys are awesome! I wish that I had hair to perm...:-) and a golden goose to help me pay for banana hammock.

mj06iu:rockwoot:

Horse

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bloomington

Preference is a personal thing and your welcome to all the milled guns in my opinion. :)

Milled guns are no more accurate that stamped guns, this has been proven and vetted and proven again. It's Internet conjecture, and false.

The manufacture of milled receiver guns was done until the ability to properly and repeatedly produce stamped guns was refined enough to reintroduce. Cost was certainly and aspect to the decision, but a stamped gun has many other advantages as well. If you pork an operation on a milled gun or improperly heat treat it, you have to toss the whole thing, on a stamped gun you grab another out of the bin and redo the operation.

Stamped guns are lighter, just as accurate, have more common parts, last longer (stretch not crack) and are cheaper to produce and are produced according to the "original" design perameters.

From a user stand point: they are more common, lighter, cheaper and just as accurate.

But - none of that addresses personal preference. You may like milled guns better - if you do- more power to you!

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    SLR-95....if you can find one there a great AK....

2dvpdtd.jpg

Top Bottom