• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spikedog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Lafayette
    I know Walmart 9mm is pretty cheap, but I would like to start reloading some .357, .223 and of course 9mm.

Could some of you experts recommend a good starter kit. Probably just single stage press, not automatic?

Thanks.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    While I understand the thought process of starting with a simple single stage press, if you are really wanting to produce a good quantity of range fodder, I suggest getting a good progressive like a Dillion 650xl or a Hornady LNL. While they may appear to "complicated" to run and set-up, they actually are not.

Now, if you wanting to build "precision" rifle ammo, IMHO, a single stage press is preffered.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I recommend Big Craig's advice. Save up some money while you are reading from manuals, talking to reloaders, taking Andrew's class, etc and start with a Dillon 550 at a minimum. You will VERY quickly outgrow a single stage. Not that they aren't useful down the road, but making reasonable amounts of pistol brass is annoying on a single stage. I chose a Hornady LnL as I found it to be the most economical and full-featured press in my price range. The Dillon 650 is certainly a good press as well but you are looking at quite a bit more coin. You can always put a single die in the press use it like a single stage while you are learning. No harm in sending a single casing through the whole process with single dies. It takes longer but you can be sure EXACTLY what is happening.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You didn't give enough info. I will still go ahead and give MY brief opinion on (3) of the available options though...

1) single stage... Great, conservative choice. Many have started here and never upgraded. It all depends on your personal wants and circumstances. You could always easily find uses for this on your bench even if you were to upgrade at a later date.

2) Lee Classic turret.... Much like the single stage, this would also be a great, conservative choice with a additional benefit. It can be used as a single stage and also as designed as a turret to speed up the process. This choice could very well be enough, depending on how much you shoot, to bridge the gap to upgrade to the progressive for a lifetime. It all depends on what your needs will be today and in lets say, 5/10 years. One word of caution on this press though... I don't feel this is as good of a choice as the single stage if you already know ultimately you will end up with a progressive and you do, for whatever reason, want to start slower. The reason I say that is because you can get money wrapped in this really fast if you aren't careful. How do I know ? I have done it ! A turret and pro auto disk for each caliber... Even more than (1) in a few calibers.... The convenience of switching calibers in mere seconds and be ready to roll can add up ! Up to the point a Dillion probably could of been bought.

3) Progressive.... Not too familiar here, but obviously the ONLY choice if you want to shoot larger volume with minimal time at the bench. About the only time I would advise against this option would be if your funds were limited. An example would be if you only had $20.00-$40 a month to spend on components. Imagine if you truly enjoyed time at the bench and you exhausted your components in a mere couple of hours... I enjoy time at the bench and I know I would be banging my head on the wall.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I use 2 single stage presses. Seems to work fine.
    Take a class. I learned from a book years ago. A class or DVD probaby would have been better. In fact, maybe I should take one anyway.

pranavdc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    I wouldn't go with a Dillon 650 tho. I have a 550 and a 650 and for going from the different calibers you have in mind to load the 550 will be more user friendly with less items to change and just plane ease of use. I love my 650 but to much **** to change to go from pistol to rifle to pistol. A 550 will produce you very consistant and reliable ammo it is not scary if you go slow. I owned my 550 for almost 3 years before I actually put it together and used it and then kicked my own arse because it was so easy and simple to pump out ammo!!! Read get books and get someone with your similar machine when you get it and have them help on the fine points.

Cheers!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    You didn't give enough info. I will still go ahead and give MY brief opinion on (3) of the available options though...

1) single stage... Great, conservative choice. Many have started here and never upgraded. It all depends on your personal wants and circumstances. You could always easily find uses for this on your bench even if you were to upgrade at a later date.

2) Lee Classic turret.... Much like the single stage, this would also be a great, conservative choice with a additional benefit. It can be used as a single stage and also as designed as a turret to speed up the process. This choice could very well be enough, depending on how much you shoot, to bridge the gap to upgrade to the progressive for a lifetime. It all depends on what your needs will be today and in lets say, 5/10 years. One word of caution on this press though... I don't feel this is as good of a choice as the single stage if you already know ultimately you will end up with a progressive and you do, for whatever reason, want to start slower. The reason I say that is because you can get money wrapped in this really fast if you aren't careful. How do I know ? I have done it ! A turret and pro auto disk for each caliber... Even more than (1) in a few calibers.... The convenience of switching calibers in mere seconds and be ready to roll can add up ! Up to the point a Dillion probably could of been bought.

3) Progressive.... Not too familiar here, but obviously the ONLY choice if you want to shoot larger volume with minimal time at the bench. About the only time I would advise against this option would be if your funds were limited. An example would be if you only had $20.00-$40 a month to spend on components. Imagine if you truly enjoyed time at the bench and you exhausted your components in a mere couple of hours... I enjoy time at the bench and I know I would be banging my head on the wall.

Agreed! From the limited information the OP provided, #2 is the best choice. If you're shooting <500 rounds of ammo a year, a progressive simply isn't indicated. If you're shooting competitions and need a LOT of practice ammo, then a progressive is the way to go. Having done this for a day or two, I will say that it's foolish for anyone to load their very first rounds with a progressive. Batch loading with a single-stage, or a turret press so-configured, is a much better way to learn the process. Period.

Even if the OP shoots enough to benefit from the volume of rounds a progressive can kick out, I would STILL strongly recommend starting out with a Lee Classic Turret or RCBS RockChucker. With the Lee, you're into it for less than $200, minus the components you'd have to buy either way. For someone who shoots thousands of rounds a year, 200 bones just ain't much money. Plus, if the OP ever gets into precision reloading of benchrest ammo, the Dillon is all but worthless and he'll be buying a single-stage or turret. (The logic goes both ways.)

Our intrepid would-be reloader may also find that he greatly enjoys the time-honored process of creating ammunition by hand, one piece at a time, on a single-stage press. He might not find it boring or tedious; he may treasure each hour spent at the reloading bench, meticulously producing the highest quality ammunition possible. Not everyone is into the "high-speed, production line" mentality of folks who push the progressive presses. Some of the best things in life take a while, like fine wine or a really sharp cheddar. Sure...you can drink grape juice with cottage cheese, but is it really the same? :)

To directly answer the question posed in the title of this thread: You get started in reloading by purchasing a quality reloading manual or instructional book and you read said instructions...preferably 2 or 3 times. If you still don't feel capable of proceeding, you work side-by-side with an experienced reloader for a while, or you can take a reloading class. Most of us got started using "A" or "B", but the classes are becoming more popular, these days.

Last edited:

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan

Agreed! From the limited information the OP provided, #2 is the best choice. If you're shooting <500 rounds of ammo a year, a progressive simply isn't indicated. If you're shooting competitions and need a LOT of practice ammo, then a progressive is the way to go. Having done this for a day or two, I will say that it's foolish for anyone to load their very first rounds with a progressive. Batch loading with a single-stage, or a turret press so-configured, is a much better way to learn the process. Period.

To directly answer the question posed in the title of this thread: You get started in reloading by purchasing a quality reloading manual or instructional book and you read said instructions...preferably 2 or 3 times. If you still don't feel capable of proceeding, you work side-by-side with an experienced reloader for a while, or you can take a reloading class. Most of us got started using "A" or "B", but the classes are becoming more popular, these days.

I couldn't agee more with these two assessments.
    Great minds on the same frequency! :D

I even told one guy on another forum that if he went with that press and was disatisfied, I would fully reimburse him and take all of the equipment. THAT'S how sure that I am that it is the right fit for MOST beginners.

NOW, don't take it that I am offering it to you. That offer expired several years ago! ;)

Broom has the right answer for learning. You CAN teach yourself to reload, many, many, have. I too am one that has and I haven't blown up a gun, um, yet! Well, there was that one KB but................... ;)

Hopefully there is someone in your area that knows how to reload correctly that will take you under their wing and nurture you. Just remember, you will be expected to pass it on sometime in the future! :)

Last edited:

Spikedog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Lafayette
    Thanks for the info guys. I was looking at one of the Lees, just because of cost. But, I have always seen Dillon stuff. Maybe the press and components instead of another gun next time?

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    Take a class with Aszerigan That helped me out alot.
    ^^^^^^This.

I've taken a couple of classes and what some don't understand is there's more to one of Aszerigan/Andrew's classes than just "how to reload". way more. You get to try different equipment, so you can figure out if you like it or need it. You also get to actually work up some loads, using different powders and bullets, etc...and this is a head start, without a giant investment, to seeing what load your gun/s will favor. The small price he charges for a class is more than worth it.

I had found a progressive for sale in the classifieds before taking the class. After taking the class, I decided that starting with a different press was the right answer for me. You might find that a class helps you in your equipment decision, too.

Note: I'm not putting down learning on your own, or from an experienced reloader one on one, but for me...I didn't know any experienced reloaders to work with, so the class was the perfect jump start to learning for me.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Note: I'm not putting down learning on your own, or from an experienced reloader one on one, but for me...I didn't know any experienced reloaders to work with, so the class was the perfect jump start to learning for me.

And the man that knows their limitations will go much further than someone that thinks they know it all!

You will have a bright future as a loader because obviously, you aren't afraid to say you don't know it all.

Problems come when we refuse to notice that maybe I can't do something without help and we charge ahead like a bull in a china shop.

Personally, I have learned best when I did my own investigation, preperation and training. Along the way though, you have to ask for help OR shut your mouth long enough to listen to someone that has already been there and got it did! ;)

Glad for you that you are loading now. THAT is the goal! Get those that can off of their duff and get them going! :D

bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    dillons are nice if you have the money to spend on them and plan on loading alot of ammo. but if your funds are limited then you cant go wrong with the lee classic.

Top Bottom