• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thats a good start. My typical wilderness boo boo kit contains the same stuff as mercop's plus a few other small, but very nice to have or downright important meds:

Benadryl-caps and disolvable sheets for kids
    Pepcid AC/tummy meds
    Splinter forceps
    Scalpel blade (10 or 11)
    small iris scissors (for cleaning and debriding rough lacerations)
    Very small drill bit (blood under toenail)
    Safety pins (2)
    Eye drops
    Dental repair kit or smile wax
    3 days of broad spectrum, non penicillin antibiotic
    "neo on the go", small individual tubes of triple antibiotic ointment

Adding this stuff takes up almost no additional room in my already small boo-boo kit.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    swiss army knife 4 twizzers and scissors. benedryl, soap, bandana, neosporin, bandaid, tums, asprin (baby), motrin, tylenol, Emergen-C packs, sugar packs (these r great for getting a kid to stop crying while you treat a wound.), benzocaine, safety pins,

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I really like were you guys have gone with this. One thing that I have in all my packs that I have not seen above is an anti-diarrhea medication. Far more likely to need this if you can not secure good food and water or let yourself slip into a dehydrated state...

Rotor Talker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greenfield
    Good Point!

I really like were you guys have gone with this. One thing that I have in all my packs that I have not seen above is an anti-diarrhea medication. Far more likely to need this if you can not secure good food and water or let yourself slip into a dehydrated state...

Indeed, Thanks for pointing that out!

:yesway:

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    "I really like were you guys have gone with this. One thing that I have in all my packs that I have not seen above is an anti-diarrhea medication. Far more likely to need this if you can not secure good food and water or let yourself slip into a dehydrated state..."

anti-diarrhea meds were in mercop's original post (linked).

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    With 3 rough and tumble little boys, Boo Boo kits are probably more important for me than an actual trauma kit. One thing I would encourage is to keep utensils (knives/tweezers, etc) for splinters, scraping stingers, etc. A lot of people overlook this and rely on their EDC to fill this role, but if somebody else is using your kit, they don't have your EDC gear.
    Some type of scrub brush, like a tooth brush or nail brush is helpful for getting debris out of a wound.
    A tiny drill bit is a nice touch. A BIC lighter is as well, for sterilizing said drill bit, tweezers, needles, etc.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    OKAY. READ THIS FIRST, BEFORE YOU POST ANYTHING WITHOUT READING THE ENTIRE THREAD AND THE INFO IN IT.

Here is Mercop's list from the link in his original post.

Band-aids (pay a little more and go with the fabric ones, they are more durable)
    Sting Wipes (great for bee and fly stings)
    Hydrocortisone Cream (put on small cuts and scrapes after flushing with water)
    Burn Gel (next to Band-aids this is the most used item in my kit, great for the kids)
    Anti- Diarrhea (nuff said)
    Ammonia Inhalants (for use when you stumble upon someone who is unresponsive)
    Steri-Strips and Tegaderm (for closing up cuts that are on the verge of needing a stitch)
    New Skin (for coating the skin to keep germs out of small cuts)
    OTC Pain Meds (for sore muscles and throbbing headaches

Then I added my list to his, without duplicating his:

Benadryl-caps and disolvable sheets for kids
    Pepcid AC/tummy meds
    Splinter forceps
    Scalpel blade (10 or 11)
    small iris scissors (for cleaning and debriding rough lacerations)
    Very small drill bit (blood under toenail)
    Safety pins (2)
    Eye drops
    Dental repair kit or smile wax
    3 days of broad spectrum, non penicillin antibiotic
    "neo on the go", small individual tubes of triple antibiotic ointment

A couple folks added to the conversation and mentioned a bic lighter, sugar packs, swiss army knife, bandana, benzocaine and a small scrub brush.

All good ideas.

Lets see some other, out of the box thinking, rather than reposting stuff without reading what others have already posted up.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i carry a syringe. (free at walmart for giving kids their liquid medicine)

great for irrigation. a lot better than using a brush on a small kid. good luck with that one.

i would have to sit down and go through my kit while typing to remember everything.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    E5Ranger375,

That is a great idea. I keep same. I taught my daughters to irrigate their own boo boos early on, and gave them each their own 20cc syringe for that purpose. Every summer, it seems someone needs a nasty torn up stubbed toe cleaned up, and they jump all over it-self or buddy aid.

Agreed, good luck on vigorous scrubbing a child's wound.

gemlit-eyed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Family dollar

Family dollar has flexible cloth bandaids. Multiple ointments. Coban stretch tape wide width. Cheepest place I have found. Make up a kit and use it for every day stuff like whatever meds you take. Aspirin ibuprofen what ever that way you are geting into your kit regularly and will be more likley to notice whats expiring. I quit the medicine cabnet and use the kit exclusivly. It is actualy more convienient too.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I usually include a flashlight 1 or 2 AA or AAA cell, in my first aid kits. Most of the time when needed, I only grab the first aid kit out of my car, or what not. Never know if you're going to have light available, on the road side, during a black out, etc.

Top Bottom