• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Not all of us are unfriendly towards LEOs.

Ever thought it might just be you? :D

Not likely, I'm they guy who always smiles...I like it that way. I know not everyone is hostile but this board has taken a turn in the last year or so that it will likely never emerge from. We were FULL of LEO's in the early years but now I am 1 of only a handful left. Some LEO's refuse to reveal that fact on here. they like guns but don't want the heat that being an LEO here brings. I can tell you that the segment of posters hostile towards us is growing...it's only going to get worse. Since I have been here from the start I feel compelled to stay.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Not likely, I'm they guy who always smiles...I like it that way. I know not everyone is hostile but this board has taken a turn in the last year or so that it will likely never emerge from. We were FULL of LEO's in the early years but now I am 1 of only a handful left. Some LEO's refuse to reveal that fact on here. they like guns but don't want the heat that being an LEO here brings. I can tell you that the segment of posters hostile towards us is growing...it's only going to get worse. Since I have been here from the start I feel compelled to stay.
    I'm just curious as to how you would like LEO non LEO interactions to be discussed here or maybe even not at all and they should be off limits just like the topic of religion? Not bashing anything or anyone here. Just curious.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm just curious as to how you would like LEO non LEO interactions to be discussed here or maybe not at all and be off limits just like the topic of religion? Not bashing anything or anyone here. Just curious.

How about telemarketers? How about insurance agents? How about used car salesmen? Gun store employees? IRS agents? Politicians?

I can find lots of different jobs where those holding those jobs have been bashed mercilessly.

mwmroll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    For the record I find the account that started this thread rather suspicious. If I got a hit on a license plate from another state that was wanted for a robbery, the driver would not be answering my questions from the driver's seat, but with his nose pressed against the asphalt.

Not sure how to prove this happened, but I am telling the truth to every detail.
    I have a low post count because I recently found out about this forum and frankly I'm not a post about my life guy. You stating that you would have "my nose to the ground" kinda confirms that these Leo's were lying to me. Hell idk, it's all said and done and I'm going back to my normal life of learning about this criminal justice and criminal law of ours.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'm just curious as to how you would like LEO non LEO interactions to be discussed here or maybe even not at all and they should be off limits just like the topic of religion? Not bashing anything or anyone here. Just curious.

I would say it would be very difficult to say "no talking about LEO's" on a politics board. Hell, we are ina VERY political position. However, where I get pissy is either the dog pile that ensues, or the broad generalizations (the same ones us gun owners hate) about LEO's, or the down right negativity. People just like to ***** and moan I think. Threads about good things are much less followed. Same reason the news reports negative stories...more people watch.

dsom2006

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Noblesville
    Dsom, the name of the game is reasonable articulable suspicion.

The advent of the computer and the mobile data terminal (they were just getting those things when I retired) took law enforcement work to a whole new level, in a GOOD way, allowing LEOs in one part of the country to instantly transmit information about wanted criminals to literally every other LEO in the country.

If a LEO runs your license plate number and gets a hit on it, does that LEO have the right to detain you and investigate you? Without a doubt he does, just the same as he does if you answer to the description of a wanted criminal.

Everyone here who reads my posts knows I cut no slack to my fellow LEOs who abuse their power and violate the rights of citizens. But if you want to live in a civilized society you have to offer some degree of cooperation to law enforcement.

Our procedure in Cincinnati was if we got a computer hit we were required to get verification from our warrant unit of the validity of the hit by telephone as soon as possible. Same thing if it was from another city or state. Outdated or inaccurate information in this country's criminal information systems is rare. In any case, LEOs operate in the good faith belief that the information in the computer system is accurate and conduct themselves accordingly.

Do LEO's randomly run license plates? Sure they do. I did. All LEO's do. We were encouraged to. The ability to run unlimited numbers of plates without going through the communications unit of your agency increases the ability of a LEO to detect wanted criminals astronomically, not just traffic offenders, DANGEROUS criminals. If a LEO runs your plate and you're not wanted for anything, no harm has been done. You won't even know he did it. In all likelihood everyone on this forum has probably had his plates run multiple times. If he runs one and gets a hit on a serial killer on the lam from the other side of the country untold lives will be saved.

For the record I find the account that started this thread rather suspicious. If I got a hit on a license plate from another state that was wanted for a robbery, the driver would not be answering my questions from the driver's seat, but with his nose pressed against the asphalt.

You make some valid points, but I contend that they are valid only from a law enforcement officers point of view. The point about running someone and nothing coming up and the citizen not knowing they were ran so no harm is hogwash. I as a citizen do not have the right to randomly choose someone driving in a car next to me and type a few keys and presto know their name, address, criminal history etc so why should every police officer have the right? If I am not breaking a law, no matter what my past history is the police/gov't have no right whatsoever to know anything about me.

Also I know that more than once an officer has used this "system" for personal gain. An officer sees a pretty girl in a convertible and the run her hoping for a reason to pull her over and if not atleast satisfying an urge to know a little more about her in hopes of one day "running" into her. While the sytem may have advanced police work, it set has the 4th Amendment back at the same time.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

I can understand, same reason I won't put an INGO sticker on my car. I don't need to give an officer a reason to get even with one of those "INGO" guys.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    You make some valid points, but I contend that they are valid only from a law enforcement officers point of view. The point about running someone and nothing coming up and the citizen not knowing they were ran so no harm is hogwash. I as a citizen do not have the right to randomly choose someone driving in a car next to me and type a few keys and presto know their name, address, criminal history etc so why should every police officer have the right? If I am not breaking a law, no matter what my past history is the police/gov't have no right whatsoever to know anything about me.

Also I know that more than once an officer has used this "system" for personal gain. An officer sees a pretty girl in a convertible and the run her hoping for a reason to pull her over and if not atleast satisfying an urge to know a little more about her in hopes of one day "running" into her. While the sytem may have advanced police work, it set has the 4th Amendment back at the same time.

1. It's not a right, it's the power; there is a difference. A right is inherent; power is granted by a sovereign which, in this case, is the state of Indiana.

2. Right or wrong driving on the roads of the state of Indiana is not a right, it's a privilege (just like handgun carry). Both the vehicle AND the operator must be licensed for operation to occur on a public road. If on private property, you may operate license-free (just like handgun carry) to your heart's content.

3. Right or wrong, by choosing to participate in operating a vehicle on a public road, you first willingly contribute your information and give consent to such reviews of your visible paperwork (license plate), which does not necessarily identify you, just the registered owner(s) of the vehicle you are driving (yes, high likelihood they are one in the same...I get it).

4. Any officer using such a tool inappropriately should be disciplined if it can be proven. Otherwise, keep in mind that technology is just a tool, like a handgun. No more capable of perpetrating evil on its own than any rock you could pick up on the side of the road.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

Liberty, you've always seemed like a stand up guy, so I have to ask, you would do this without further corroboration on ID?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Probaby a good thing you're retired then.

Honestly, I don't always agree with Liberty Sanders, but since I've known of him, he has always had my upmost respect. Even after giving long portion of his life to LE, he's never been one to be in lock step with the "blue line." There's plenty that current guys in our employment could learn from him. I think you were too hasty in you opinion.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Liberty, you've always seemed like a stand up guy, so I have to ask, you would do this without further corroboration on ID?

Lex, if I'm approaching a vehicle that is in the computer system for something as serious as an armed robbery (or a murder, kidnapping, rape, name the anti-social act of your choice), that is definitely a felony stop situation. I'm holding everyone in that vehicle AT GUNPOINT until backup arrives. All occupants will then be ordered out of the car, hands up, and secured until everyone in the car has been rendered unable to act aggressively.

ONLY THEN will an appropriate investigation be conducted to identify the occupants of the vehicle and determine whether they, as individuals, are in any way involved.

I can only ask you to trust me on this...any LEO who DOESN'T handle this situation in this way does not aspire to a long life.

That open space between a police vehicle and a suspect vehicle is the biggest kill zone in the world. When you have something as substantial as a computer hit with a SPECIFIC license number (not just a general description) you have every reason in the world to suspect that you're dealing with VERY dangerous people. You don't just stroll up to the driver's window and ask for license and registration.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!...LEO NEVER LIE!!!!

At least he was smart enough to make something up that would give him sufficient PC to haul you out and disarm you. That's some fine police work.

+1 Fishers PD!!! :yesway:

:rolleyes:

That is a pretty ballsy accusation.:n00b:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton

HOLY COW!!:laugh: Sorry but that is plain amusing to me.

Top Bottom