• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    i just bought a PSL parts kit and nordak spudk US made receiver for it along with the rivets kit. I was wondering about the legality of this build due to 922r rules i will not be using a pistol grip or high cap mags however the rifle does have the bayonet lug intact. does this rifle still one of the evil children the ATF hates so much. and if it his how many parts do i need to comply with there rules. i was thinking already updating the trigger to a double hook tapco g2 (counts and 3 parts) and could buy new wood for it (3 parts) but dont really want to if i dont have to on the furniture. And yes i will be taking plenty of pictures of the build up and posting them on here.:ingo:

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I thought the rule read you could not build it if it could not be imported. It can have one of the three evil features and be ok for importation. The three evil features are: pistol grip, removable muzzle attachment, bayonet lugs. There is some debate as to whether going over 10 round mags requires the parts count to be right.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I thought the rule read you could not build it if it could not be imported. It can have one of the three evil features and be ok for importation. The three evil features are: pistol grip, removable muzzle attachment, bayonet lugs. There is some debate as to whether going over 10 round mags requires the parts count to be right.

Check the link I posted. There is no debate as part number 18 lists mag bodies and not "more than 10 round".

Read the rules, don't guess.

Parts except the receiver (which by ATF is the firearm) and rifle barrel, can be imported even when the whole rifle cannot.

There is nothing about George Bush the First evil features either.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    18 U.S.C. § 922(r)

It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to -

(1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or

(2) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General.

27 CFR 478.39 - ASSEMBLY OF NON-SPORTING SHOTGUNS AND SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLES FROM IMPORTED PARTS

(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:

(1) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or

(2) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Director under the provisions of Sec. 178.151; or

(3) The repair of any rifle or shotgun which had been imported into or assembled in the United States prior to November 30, 1990, or the replacement of any part of such firearm.

(c) For purposes of this section, the term imported parts are:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
    (2) Barrels
    (3) Barrel extensions
    (4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
    (5) Muzzle attachments
    (6) Bolts
    (7) Bolt carriers
    (8) Operating rods
    (9) Gas pistons
    (10) Trigger housings
    (11) Triggers
    (12) Hammers
    (13) Sears
    (14) Disconnectors
    (15) Butt stocks
    (16) Pistol grips
    (17) Forearms, hand guards
    (18) Magazine bodies
    (19) Followers
    (20) Floor plates

Last edited:

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Here is a good thread on what is legal.

Explanation of 922r compliance. Lawyers? - THR

Basically 925(d)(3) says if the rifle is adaptable for "sporting purposes" it is legal even if it has no US parts in it. The current definition of "sporting purposes" with rifle relevant info bolded:

Title 27: Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
    PART 478—COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION
    Subpart B—Definitions
    § 478.11 Meaning of terms:

defines any gun converted to a non-sporting semi-auto with features as described on the following list which defines the term "assault weapon:

Semiautomatic assault weapon. (a) Any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as:

(1) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models),

(2) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil,

(3) Beretta Ar70 (SC–70),

(4) Colt AR–15,

(5) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC,

(6) SWD M–10, M–11, M–11/9, and M–12,

(7) Steyr AUG,

(8) INTRATEC TEC–9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22, and

(9) Revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

(b) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of—

(1) A folding or telescoping stock,

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon,

(3) A bayonet mount,

(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, and

(5) A grenade launcher;

(c) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of—

(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip,

(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer,

(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned,

(4) A manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded, and

(5) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and

(d) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of—

(1) A folding or telescoping stock,

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon,

(3) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds, and

(4) An ability to accept a detachable magazine.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I am pretty sure PSLs are currently imported with no US parts on them also.
    Your right there!!!(but only with the thumbhole buttstock) but sense i got a us made reciever it will count as a us made firearm. some say its fine to build as is with all forein parts others say no it must comply to 922r. talk about head scraching

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    From reading i don't think 922r applies to this gun if i weld mussel break to barrel and remove bayonet lugs. (does this sound correct to you guys) or do i still need 922r?? i could add us parts
    G-2 trigger 3 parts
    US reciever 1 part
    Mussel break 1 part
    stock set 3 parts
    Totaling 8 parts

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    It is basically an AK right? You need 6 US parts on a typical AK although I am not sure if the factory buttstock counts as 1 or 2 parts. Trigger group is 3, receiver makes 4, if you can get a muzzle brake that makes 5. I think if you grind off the bayonet lugs you do not need to use any US parts though. Welding the commie muzzle brake takes it out of the count so you only need 5 parts then. Do the imported PSLs have removeable muzzle brakes and bayonet lugs?

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    It is basically an AK right? You need 6 US parts on a typical AK although I am not sure if the factory buttstock counts as 1 or 2 parts. Trigger group is 3, receiver makes 4, if you can get a muzzle brake that makes 5. I think if you grind off the bayonet lugs you do not need to use any US parts though. Welding the commie muzzle brake takes it out of the count so you only need 5 parts then. Do the imported PSLs have removeable muzzle brakes and bayonet lugs?
    from what i was reading its ether a welded brake or missing the bayonet lugs.... but by the assult weapons ban it has to have 3 evil parts and it only has the two the lug and removable muzzle brake. Unless the butstock counts as a pistol grip as well (but i dont think it does) But i think i will remove the lug just to be safe. Another question for you ( on the ak74 i bought off you the pistol grip thats american part right i think it is)

sirxtc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    I am not a 922r expert by no means. But I do have a PSL so I can add what I have.

Mine has the lugs intact, pistol grip, Romanian break, Romanian Chrome Barrel.

Here is where is complies.
    Us made pistol grip and furniture, US made Spud receiver, Tapco Trigger mech and springs.
    Pistol Grip = 3 parts
    Receiver = 1 part
    Trigger Mech = 2 parts

I bought mine from Bradis as is. It is a nice weapon. I don't like the Drugunov style thumbhole stock. That is why I purchased this gun with the pistol grip.

Here is an exerp from Dragunov dot net - Dragunov and PSL Sniper Rifle Information that explains my gun.
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"A new TGI version of the PSL is now being built on a US manufactured Nodak Spud receiver that allows the use of a standard AK style buttstock and separate pistol grip."[/FONT]

mhcinaz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    My PSL build

Here is the writeup of my PSL build. I figured out a way of getting the barrel in that is so easy it will surprise you. Although it may only work if the trunnion and barrel are matching, bot from the original rifle.

Marc's PSL Build

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Here is the writeup of my PSL build. I figured out a way of getting the barrel in that is so easy it will surprise you. Although it may only work if the trunnion and barrel are matching, bot from the original rifle.

Marc's PSL Build

Now that is what I call a real build, not a parts assembly ala AR. Having built an HK-91 from a de-milled G3 parts kit including bending a receiver flat on a 12 ton press and welding everything up, I can appreciate the work that goes into some of these projects. Good work, I would like to see more of these.:yesway:

Top Bottom