• ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Town of New Whiteland

This is a memorial park for fallen EMS, fire, and police officers. It appears to be town property yet the sign says no firearms. Bottom of sign says will prosecute violators to fullest extent of law.

I don't want to appear insensitive to the mission of the park but it seems that the officers are sworn to uphold the laws of the state. This sign and park policy seems to be in violation of that.

What's the best way to proceed in trying to get it changed?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I would bring it to their attention either by mail or in person at a town board meeting. If it was not corrected in a reasonable time, then the next step would be to pursue litigation. I suspect that it will be resolved once they are made aware.

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    I would bring it to their attention either by mail or in person at a town board meeting. If it was not corrected in a reasonable time, then the next step would be to pursue litigation. I suspect that it will be resolved once they are made aware.

+1 the best thing to do is make them aware of their mistake.

If not corrected I don't see how you could pursue litigation though. Unless they remove you from the park which then would be violation of your rights, but just posting a sign is not necessarily a violation of your right. :dunno:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    IMG_9884.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Probably just an old sign that nobody has gotten them to correct. They used to be able to do that, and there are still some around. If they try, they'll find out the law doesn't have any extent to prosecute you anymore. I haven't been to New Whiteland for some time. My uncle used to be the Sheriff down there :)

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Probably just an old sign that nobody has gotten them to correct. They used to be able to do that, and there are still some around. If they try, they'll find out the law doesn't have any extent to prosecute you anymore. I haven't been to New Whiteland for some time. My uncle used to be the Sheriff down there :)

New Whiteland has never had a sheriff. Was your uncle the Sheriff of Johnson County?

That sign is less than a year old.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If you are sure it's municipal property then go ahead and carry there. If they arrest you then give Guy a holler.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    If you are sure it's municipal property then go ahead and carry there. If they arrest you then give Guy a holler.

Thay's just it, I'm not. I'll call Monday to inquire. I was CCing anyway just in case the bluegill were hesitant...

Btw, my son caught his first fish today there. 21 months old. First cast and only bite of the day. Heh

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Thay's just it, I'm not. I'll call Monday to inquire. I was CCing anyway just in case the bluegill were hesitant...

Btw, my son caught his first fish today there. 21 months old. First cast and only bite of the day. Heh
    It looks like it might be municipal but I think it's a good idea to make sure and congrats on your sons first catch.

If that was the only bite of the day then I say it was still a good day fishing. :yesway:

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    Well if it private property then the sign carries no weight of law so there is no prosecutable crime. Just if they told you to leave from private property and you didn't then ypou would be in trouble.

Either way your initial visit should not cause any issues.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Then I guess they are wrong since the rules are posted on an official website. The parks must be public. I wonder how old the listings are.

And according to the link from the police website, the ordinance is still in effect.
    ui-bookmark.gif
    § 94.11 FIREARMS.

It shall be unlawful for any person, unless so authorized by the Town Council, to discharge or have possession of any firearms or other explosive device within the limits of any park or on any other property owned, operated or controlled by the town.
    (Ord. 88-11, passed 10-10-88) Penalty, see § 94.99
    http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Indiana/whiteland/townofwhitelandindianacodeofordinances?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:whiteland_in

http://townofwhiteland.com/departments/police-department

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    It doesn't matter... The ordinance is void by IC. http://www.in.gov/apps/lsa/session/...ssion=1&request=getBill&doctype=SB&docno=0292

And according to the link from the police website, the ordinance is still in effect.
    ui-bookmark.gif
    § 94.11 FIREARMS.

It shall be unlawful for any person, unless so authorized by the Town Council, to discharge or have possession of any firearms or other explosive device within the limits of any park or on any other property owned, operated or controlled by the town.
    (Ord. 88-11, passed 10-10-88) Penalty, see § 94.99
    http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Indiana/whiteland/townofwhitelandindianacodeofordinances?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:whiteland_in

Police Department | Town Of Whiteland

Last edited:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    All parks are posted as no carry in New Whiteland. Proctor Park is a fairly new town park, and that is a fairly new sign.

The town attorney is Lee Robbins, and the council meets the first and third Thursdays of the month.

Top Bottom