• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    is there any kind of processed cheese that come in the little rectangles (like 1 in x 2in) that doesnt have to be refrigerated or could as least make it for a week? i know i have had these before but i didnt buy them. i found some land o lakes cheese like this at walmart but it said keep refrigerated.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    velveeta is sold warm. if you have a food saver or similar vacuum device, you could cut to size and seal. you may want to throw your chunks in the freezer for about 30 mins. before sealing to keep it from getting squished too much.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Try looking for canned cheese at your local Asian markets or take a trip over to Fishers to their local Arab store (Al-Basha). The canned cheeses are small enough to back pack with or to toss in a lunch box and they're quite tasty. Al-Basha actually carries a Kraft Foods brand. Most others that I've seen (like Laughing Cow brand) require refrigeration.

FWShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    What I normally do when backpacking with real cheese:

Carry hard cheese (sharp cheddar/romano/parmesan/etc) (if I can find the indivdually wax wrapped ones those are awesome and hold very well) and wrap in cheesecloth and shoved in a ziploc bag (no clue why but everyone always told me cheesecloth or wrapped in a clean bandana is key versus just dumping in a ziploc bag).

Keep it in the middle of the pack so it is cooler. I individually wrap portions in cheesecloth so I just grab what I need when I need it but my one buddy would just shave off what he wanted and then put back in pack.

It has lasted this method for a week easily. The refrigeration is one of those liabity covering butt moves.

Pair that with a small bag of crackers and some individual salami slices and it is a good snack. Along with a way for me to get some parmesan cheese mixed into my backpack stove spaghetti.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Carry hard cheese (sharp cheddar/romano/parmesan/etc) (if I can find the indivdually wax wrapped ones those are awesome and hold very well) and wrap in cheesecloth and shoved in a ziploc bag (no clue why but everyone always told me cheesecloth or wrapped in a clean bandana is key versus just dumping in a ziploc bag).

The cheesecloth will prevent it from sticking to the plastic bag and it will help control the oil and moisture so you don't have to eat sweaty or oily cheese.

FWShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    The cheesecloth will prevent it from sticking to the plastic bag and it will help control the oil and moisture so you don't have to eat sweaty or oily cheese.

Thank you! I was googling but getting nowhere and it was going to drive me nuts!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Don't see why not...Jack's Links can do it:

JLBeefCheeseAllAmerican.jpg

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I don't think it's fair to call those "cheese". I'd call them "slightly cheese-flavored vegetable oil chunklets".

:puke:

Top Bottom