• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    but my Google-fu/search-fu is failing me(had to think too much today), and the wonder-ness(made up word) has gotten the best of me. Any difference in a regular shotgun vs a tactical shotgun in terms of what kind of ammo it will shoot, and in terms of what you can and really shouldn't use it for? I'm assuming a shotgun is a shotgun, but hypothetically say a person had a tactical shotgun intending to use it for HD and decided he/she wanted to go deer hunting after the fact. Any reason, legal or otherwise, that you couldn't use the tactical to hunt?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Not a stupid question at all.

The term "tactical" is a word to describe how a firearm is set up physically. The ammo for one is no more lethal or powerful than other shotgun ammo.

I have an O/U Franchi that I use for rabbits and pheasant. It shoots 00 buck and slugs just fine too. I wouldn't use it for deer hunting though unless it was all I had. But I would not be afraid to use it for home defense.

I have to admit, I have never been absolutely positive what "tactical" really means. Probably black or camo with lights and red dots and such?

I carried a stock 870 for years in the squad and I think I always used it "tactically".

I think if you want to use your tactical shotgun for waterfowl, you have to limit the magazine capacity. I am not really sure about that.......

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    For a "hunting" shotgun, it is nice to be able to change chokes. This might be something to keep an eye out for if you want to have a multi purpose shotgun. The 870 falls into this catagory.

bschmidt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    About the only thing you may have to worry about with a tactical shotgun is capacity-many of the "tactical" shotguns will carry 5-8 shells in the magazine. Depending upon what you are hunting, waterfowl in particular, the extra ammo could get you into trouble.

Mat250

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    In my opinion it seems to have more to do with barrel length. I doubt you'll see a 28" bbl on a tactical shotty. Typically it will be 18-20" and as stated already, all black. I have a mossberg 500 with an 18" bbl and a black ops stock for hd and two other, longer barrels and a traditional stock for hunting. They are versatile firearms that can shoot all kinds of different shells.

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    yes, barrel length seemed to be the real only major-ish difference that I could really tell with my lack of knowledge. Does barrel length have an affect on accuracy? Or is it more a difference maker in recoil?

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Barrel and chokes are more factors of determining shells.

Just make sure to match your guage correctly...

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Barrel length really only affect mobility. The shorter barrel is easier in tight quarters. An 18" barrel would not be good for hunting is not likely to have chokes to change out for different types of hunting. One other thing to look at is a rifled barrel if you are going to deer hunt, but you would not want to shoot anything but slugs out of that. Many are offered with 2 barrels now one for game and one for deer like the 500 or 870. If you get one for hunting and want it for HD too, then you can pick up an 18.5" barrel for about $80 or so.

Tactical is tacticool to say these days so it is also a marketing thing, i know Mossberg has a tactical turkey gun for those special ops turkeys that have gone rogue.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Upland bird hunting requires a limit on shell capacity in many places; other game may as well, but I don't have the details.

That's an easy fix, though; cut a dowel rod to the right length and pop it into your magazine tube. It'll take your 5 or 7 round tube down to the the required 2 or 3.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Shell capacity has already been covered in previous posts. Basically the gun can hold no more then 3 shells when hunting migratory birds. In Indiana that means waterfowl and dove.

Some states have a minimum allowable barrel length. For instance if you want to go hunt pheasent in South Dakota the gun barrel must be at least 20 inches. Different state may have different rules.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I have a barrel for HD and one for hunting. Takes me 3 minutes to change it out. Put a tactical stock that adjusts in length as well. The only other adjustment for me is the ammo.

Top Bottom