• ...and so much more!
  • epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    the bottom line here, kids, is that if you don't like the price the seller wants, don't buy. if you don't want to haggle a bit, don't. if i sell something, i'll price it what I think it is worth. if i want to buy something, i pay what I think it is worth. what someone else thinks is of absolutely no consequence.

another +1

If I feel they want too much and the seller isn't willing to come down in price, I pass on it.

I have gotten several really good deals on here without having to haggle (I hate haggling). Metro40 almost always has great prices on the items he sells here. If I had more money I would be buying a lot of the things he has to sell.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Last Thursday I had a friend ask me what I'd give him for his XD9. He said he was taking it to a dealer to see what he could just sell it for. I told him to figure 40% off book and he'd be close. I told him dealers have overhead and have to allow for that. Then he tells me he wants $300.00. Good deal! I wanted to be fair with him so I told him to take it on to the dealer, inform the dealer he wanted $350.00, and if the dealer wasn't interested I'd give him the 300.00 he was asking. Man I wish I'd just slapped down three bills! He came back later waving $350.00. I was glad he got more though.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I also find this funny also. Gun shows are no longer worth going to unless the vast selection right in front of you is important. I am in NW IN and after I drive to Indy, eat lunch, pay to get in and drive home, it costs me very nearly $100 before I buy any guns. You gotta be sure you are getting some deals to make that up.

The mere fact of being previously owned depreciates a gun 10% IMO. Deduct more for worn finishes and such. I dont really care about round counts because very few people will ever put enough rounds through a gun to get the mechanical workings worn. If it is another $50 to get a new one, I'd rather pay it than risk buying someone elses home gunsmithing project. I am also humored by people that bitch and moan over $20 in taxes or fees on a $500 gun. If $20 makes thats big of a difference, you shouldnt be buying it.

If there is a minor price difference between an individual and a gun shop, I would rather take my business to a shop where it is possible the shop owner will remember me in my future transactions. That likelihood is pretty slim with an individual.

:rant mode on:
    I also think the paper trail thing is stupid. If "they" want your guns, then "they" will have them. Every person that screams about the G-men prying things from their "cold, dead hands" is someone preaching bravado and poor desicion making. Who will actually shoot it out with the authorities when they come to confiscate?? Not me. Thats a sure way to get yourself killed and kill the movement for ever getting them back. The reason guns are so important to us is the preservation of life, why give that away your life to keep something they are gonna take from you anyways. If you make them "pry it from your cold, dead hands" they will, and then are you are left with is being dead.
    :rant mode off:

Anyway, people will price things influenced by their need to sell. If they price it foolishly, then they dont need to sell it.

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    Hey if Dons guns can sell a hipoint all day long for 299.00, most people think that is what it is worth and someone out there is stupid enough pay the same. I kinda put the blame on places like that, they charge too much to begin with and when someone that has bought a used glock at 699.00 then tries to sell it, thats what they expect a used glock to bring... thats what they paid for a used glock.

NO JOKE! It was winter when I got my XD45C, so I went to *cough* don's guns *cough* to shoot it in the indoor range (pop's is on the completely other side of town since I work in Lebanon and live in Mooresville)... I had just gotten it from some whitetail place in Ohio for $450 shipped (my dad is my FFL, so $0 there)... I was looking around in there and they had a bone stock, new, XD45 (not even the compact) for $700... I asked them what had been done to it (night sights, comes with light, laser, etc)... nope, bone stock.... for $700...

I got to looking around more and saw the same DPMS M4gery that you can get for the MSRP of ~$1k or so, for... you guessed it... $2300... Absolutely acenine...

Mike

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    NO JOKE! It was winter when I got my XD45C, so I went to *cough* don's guns *cough* to shoot it in the indoor range (pop's is on the completely other side of town since I work in Lebanon and live in Mooresville)... I had just gotten it from some whitetail place in Ohio for $450 shipped (my dad is my FFL, so $0 there)... I was looking around in there and they had a bone stock, new, XD45 (not even the compact) for $700... I asked them what had been done to it (night sights, comes with light, laser, etc)... nope, bone stock.... for $700...

I got to looking around more and saw the same DPMS M4gery that you can get for the MSRP of ~$1k or so, for... you guessed it... $2300... Absolutely acenine...

Mike

That lost 4473 costs a lot. ;)

FattRed1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Pendleton
    I got my XD.40 for just a little under $400 4 years ago, when I got home from Iraq. When I was in a pinch about a year ago I took it back to the same dealer that I bought it from and he offered me a little over $400?!?!

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    If you want good trade in value, try Bob at PSS in Plainfield. I have traded several guns in to him instead of selling privately and he has always given a very fair price for my trades.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    The complainer somehow thought that since it was "pre-owned" it should be cheaper, even thought it was never fired and was un touched.

In some situations you do take on additional risk by buying from a private seller. Try doing an exchange for a defective item from a private seller. Also, far fetched but possible, is the scenario of getting robbed at gun point by a private seller you contacted via the internet. Unlikely, perhaps, but a lot more unlikely to happen in a gun store.

The bigger point, though, is that there is no such thing as a "justifiable" price, a "fair" price, or anything like that. There are only two kinds of prices: those a buyer is willing to pay, and those a buyer is not willing to pay.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Everyone knows that the only reason to buy an ar-15 is to defend yourself against the armed black-man...

There are some good deals to be had with used guns, especially when magazines and extra accessories are included.

Basically if you like someones price jump on it before someone else does. if you don't like the price move on to the next item.

people are free to price their items at whatever price they want. maybe they are just "testing the waters" to see if someone wants the item they have bad enough to pay top dollar for it.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    :lol2: You must be one of the people I was talking about. Justify man, justify ;)

Personally I won't even bother trying to talk someone down. I did once on something, showed them 2 buy it now prices on gunbroker and one link to a website selling the same item, in new condition for less than the guy was selling his used item. Didn't budge on the price. He must have smoking crack rock or something.

I could care less about a paperless gun. I've filed out dozens of 4473's bought thousands of rounds of ammo on credit cards. Honestly, if they ever come looking for my guns. You think they aren't going to go thru my house, cars and yard with a fine tooth comb? They won't stop once they find all my 'papered' guns. If for some reason they had cause and reason to search and seize, the FTF gun you bought and hid behind the sofa/painting/drain cleaner ect. ect. is going to be found too.

As to everyone else, glad to see I'm not alone on this.

On a side note, I once saw somebody complaining about a private person selling a gun NIB and wanting full price for it. The complainer somehow thought that since it was "pre-owned" it should be cheaper, even thought it was never fired and was un touched. Beats me, the only complaint I would have is the seller trying to recoup his taxes and transfer fees.

If I have a dealer selling XYZ for 500+tax and Joe6pack selling XYZ for 500 I'll go with Joe6pack. If Joe6pack wants 535 (or even 501) cause I want my taxes money back he can get lost, I'll buy from the dealer. Buying a gun you don't necessarily lose your purchase price, but you do lose your xfer fees and taxes. Nature of the beast in my eyes.

Exactly why when they start looking for your weapons - its not time to hope they dont find them - its time to use them. Lines will first be drawn though so dont worry - it will be a new Civil War.

Remember ... the U.S. and State Constitution is law and when a regime goes against the Congress of the United States and the respective State legislative bodies - that my friends is treason.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Just another warning, so we're clear:

ANY post suggesting or advocating civil war, inciting violence against the government or any other similar post will not be tolerated and will be summarily deleted. This forum is presented (for free) to the members of this board and the owner has asked that posts of that nature not be made.

This board is dedicated to guns and gun-related issues, and NOT as Ground Zero for the Revolution. This issue is now closed for discussion.

Top Bottom