• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glank09

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    I tried to google this, but troubles finding exactly what I’m looking for. One side of our property has a country road on it. I am wanting to increase the privacy, but do not necessarily want to plant a bunch of pine trees or arborvitae. Ideally would be looking for something native to indiana that would be cheap/free to plant from a start. I considered stealing a bunch of starts from our lilac bush but not sold on that yet due to not being native. The space is about 100 yards long and I have about 20-25 yards to work with from the road. Any thoughts?

cam4usa

Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Delaware County, IN
    I tried to google this, but troubles finding exactly what I’m looking for. One side of our property has a country road on it. I am wanting to increase the privacy, but do not necessarily want to plant a bunch of pine trees or arborvitae. Ideally would be looking for something native to indiana that would be cheap/free to plant from a start. I considered stealing a bunch of starts from our lilac bush but not sold on that yet due to not being native. The space is about 100 yards long and I have about 20-25 yards to work with from the road. Any thoughts?

I’m a bit new to Indiana and have the same issue on my property. Since you’re concerned with indigenous correct species, what are our options? Any evergreens at all?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My buddy's parents wanted privacy and security, so they surrounded their yard with Hawthorn Bushes. They filled in fast. Just don't try to play football in the yard, as a tackle into the bushes gets pretty painful. The flowered at times too, kind of nice.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    This thread got me thinking about finding someone who makes Osage bows.

Sorry..semi-off-topic.
    Nice tree/hedge, but not native to Indiana. It's only native to a very small part of TX, at least according to what I've read.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Nice tree/hedge, but not native to Indiana. It's only native to a very small part of TX, at least according to what I've read.
    Pre-Columbian but I read that the Native American's probably spread the trees across much of the Midwest at least as a source for wood for their bows.

Anyways, they have grown here for hundred of years.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Not a bad idea, but I am now wondering if blueberry bushes would be better
    Blueberry bushes don't have the stickers that raspberry/blackberry bushes have. Also not sure they get tall enough for what you want. Mine seem to have topped out at about 4 1/2 ft tall.
    --Rick

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Pre-Columbian but I read that the Native American's probably spread the trees across much of the Midwest at least as a source for wood for their bows.

Anyways, they have grown here for hundred of years.
    American Indians and settlers. The settlers loved them for fence posts, wagon tongues, etc.

And yep, they have.
    Black raspberry bushes...with the added benefits of fruit!
    Not a bad idea.
    Blueberry bushes don't have the stickers that raspberry/blackberry bushes have. Also not sure they get tall enough for what you want. Mine seem to have topped out at about 4 1/2 ft tall.
    --Rick
    Different varieties get different heights, iirc anywhere from a 1 1/2-6 ft.

And don't forget elderberries. Good for colds/flu. No idea on the rona though.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    American Indians and settlers. The settlers loved them for fence posts, wagon tongues, etc.

And yep, they have.

Not a bad idea.

Different varieties get different heights, iirc anywhere from a 1 1/2-6 ft.

And don't forget elderberries. Good for colds/flu. No idea on the rona though.
    There is a winery in Eastern KS that makes an awesome elderberry wine! Drink a bottle of that and you don't care if you have a cold! :)
    --Rick

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    There is a winery in Eastern KS that makes an awesome elderberry wine! Drink a bottle of that and you don't care if you have a cold! :)
    --Rick
    Pretty much. I've made it before, gave a bottle to an aunt who almost never drinks for medicinal purposes. She said a small glass made her feel much better. Probably didn't hurt that it was pushing 18% ABV.

Top Bottom