• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chtheo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    a business can do as it pleases, as can the customer.

none of this would be happening if the gun community didn't go full retard every time some lib politician says "gun ban".

The problem is, that it is not just SOME lib politician. It is ALL lib politicians (and at the highest and most influential levels) and SOME Republican politicians (some with A ratings from the NRA).

This "National discussion" concerning an AWB is at a level unlike many have ever seen. This time we have a legitimate reason to be concerned.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    What burns me up is that whatever is in the store NOW was purchased at a certain price...and then marked up accordingly...and sold in the store.

It's all the re-order / replacement merchandise where there MIGHT be a price increase...that'll be passed along to the consumer.

*sigh*
    Well, I assume you have a few guns right? If you have an AK you bought for $99 a few years ago, will you sell it for $150? I sure you won't as the market price is now over $200 - $250. I don't blame the retailers for selling at the price they can get. They are in business to make a profit. I don't donate to them when their business is slow. I can usually take advantage of them at that time and get a decent discount. Now the tables are turned. I did pay a little extra for some Lr and AK mags from Midway as I think they may be banned soon, and the supply line is really going to be empty as long as everyone feels the same. Nobody is forced to buy anything. Shop around - sometimes you can find a good buy, otherwise just wait till the dust settles and take your chances.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    All you Chicken Littles run around yelling, "the ban is coming! Then ban is coming!" Then you have the nerve to claim about someone someone making a (large) profit off of the panic you incite?

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    100% Supply & Demand. Suddenly everyone wants item XXX and there is not enough of it to go around. The value of XXX just increased. There is absolutely no incentive for a vendor to sell item XXX less at a price less than the market will bear. In some cases, doing so will actually cause just as much trouble as raising the price.

Just look at gas as an example. A disaster hits and everyone who wasn't prepared now needs gas. If stations are mandated to sell it at a lower price, the people who get their first will gorge themselves leaving none for others unless rationing is implemented. If the station is allowed to raise the price, people will only take what they need and there will be more available for others without rationing. Granted there are scenarios that will break both models.

Gas specifically is typically considered a need so it gets special attention. As much as I'm a fan of firearms, I don't see how one can make the same argument. Let the free market dictate the prices and be happy you already have yours.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I can't find a 17 round mag for my M&P 9c anywhere. I have 2-12 rounders and 1-17 and would like another 17. Heck, on the sites I've been to, I can't even find 12 or 10 rounders.....10 round magazines all gone? I wouldn't even bother buying one of those....but they're sold out everywhere I've seen. I know there's been some talk about mental illness and guns lately, but this is a whole new breed.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    this works if:

1. you know what you are getting. That is, consumers are well informed. Quite often, producers/sellers have the upper hand, e.g., medicine, law, investment management, etc.

2. there is large no. of suppliers/sellers w/o any single one entity or handful entity with market power

3. consumers are able to intelligently exercise their power of choices

100% Supply & Demand. Suddenly everyone wants item XXX and there is not enough of it to go around. The value of XXX just increased. There is absolutely no incentive for a vendor to sell item XXX less at a price less than the market will bear. In some cases, doing so will actually cause just as much trouble as raising the price.

Just look at gas as an example. A disaster hits and everyone who wasn't prepared now needs gas. If stations are mandated to sell it at a lower price, the people who get their first will gorge themselves leaving none for others unless rationing is implemented. If the station is allowed to raise the price, people will only take what they need and there will be more available for others without rationing. Granted there are scenarios that will break both models.

Gas specifically is typically considered a need so it gets special attention. As much as I'm a fan of firearms, I don't see how one can make the same argument. Let the free market dictate the prices and be happy you already have yours.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    this works if:

1. you know what you are getting. That is, consumers are well informed. Quite often, producers/sellers have the upper hand, e.g., medicine, law, investment management, etc.

2. there is large no. of suppliers/sellers w/o any single one entity or handful entity with market power

3. consumers are able to intelligently exercise their power of choices
    Right, there are always exceptions, but in the current situation with firearms, you're squarely on number 3.

If consumers don't educate themselves about a purchase, they're likely going to pay more than they have to. That is true with any purchase.

Top Bottom